Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 70-74 front air dams
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I’ve made an air dam for my 74. It’s a copy of a friend’s, but I added an air intake for when I install my oil cooler. I like it, but I now think it’s a bit short, I may make a new one. I’d like to see as many dam pic’s as I can. Dam-dam-dam!

These pic’s are before I painted it, they just show up better than the black.
Mark Henry
the backside:
Mark Henry
WTF did I do to the title!!!! confused24.gif
cha914
looks good, is it fiberglass?
Lawrence
Mark,

I have no picture to share, but I did fix your topic title for you.

-Rusty
Mark Henry
Yep,

I took an old busted up plastic dam, fixed/modified it with sheet aluminum, wood, fiberglass bondo and screws, then fibreglassed it front and back. It's quite light, lighter than a stock valance. When I add a cooler I can just pull the plugs as it's sealed against the body.

Thanks Rusty for the fix beer.gif
Mueller
I only have this picture for now....

It's on my '74
Jeffs9146
I haven't decided if I am going to use this one or not!!

Jeff
Jeffs9146
Back
Mark Henry
I'm very sure that Mike's dam is the one I modified.
meursault
Jeff has an air dam. The others are limited edition-type spoilers. I think the distinction is that Jeff's front valence replacement "dams" oncoming air by reaching down as low to the ground as possible to try to prevent much airflow underneath the car. The LE spoiler makes no such attempt.
krk
I ran an air dam like Jeff's for a while -- it as a little too low for the average driveway in my neck of the woods. The nice part was, since the lower part is flexible, you can trim it quite easily with a razor knife.

I'm now on a stock front valence kick, and have just installed one on my /6. It means have a spare LE front spoiler that I can change back too when I want a change.

kim.
Aaron Cox
i like your air dam. interesting (small) cutout for an oil cooler
URY914
Mine is not really a street spoiler but it stated out as a deep limited edition as sold by AIR. I added about 3", the brake ducts and the bottom lip. Under full braking it is about 3/8" above the track. I also tied it into the f/g bumper so it is one piece.
914Timo
This is my. First I did FG mold from some aftermarket spoiler. Then I stretched the lower edge couple of cm in the mold and modified the opening for the oil cooler. Then I did this one from the mold.
Gint
Timo, if I've never said it before, I'll say it now. That is one VERY nice looking 914.
Jeffs9146
I'll second that!!! One sweet ride!! pray.gif

I think I will leave the rubber piece off of my air dam like you did!!

Jeff
seanery
me 3.
Is that a fiberglass front bumper?
914Timo
That was nice. Thank you VERY much. It is encouraging to get good feedback. smile.gif

Yes, that is FG bumper. The "rubber top" is custom desing. It is smoother than the original rubber.
rhodyguy
here's yours on the car jeff.

kevin
Mark Henry
I like Timo's bumper/spoiler as well, wub.gif
But I have to run a front license plate so my cooler hole would have to be different.
I really like the look of the top rubber bumper pad.

Thanks Timo, you just made me a bunch more work, thanks a lot. :finger2:

LOL wink.gif
Jeffs9146
OK, I got mine mounted up now!!

Jeff
campbellcj
Here's mine. Not terribly aerodynamic, but light and decent looking.

This spoiler is not very streetable. It's like 2" lower than an "LE" type.
VegasRacer
Probably not what you are looking for, but it's another chance for me to post one more pic of my car. Just like the one directly above, this shot is also from Willow Springs. As you can see the front bumper has been tweeked a time or two. I'm getting better with fiberglass repair, but also care less about having it look perfect. I think it's about time for a new one. It does its job. Good air flow to the radiator and brake ducts.
Lawrence
Rather than start a new topic, I decided to drudge this one up.

The jerkoff that towed my /6 home a few weeks ago cracked my front air dam. The towing company says they'll make it right, if I don't go to their insurance. So, I'm going to give them a chance.

Has anyone every used/seen a front spoiler with brake ducts already molded in? Tweeks has one in a recent catalog (page 141, for those at home). It's about 80 bucks. They don't have it mounted on the car, so it's difficult to see what it looks like as a package.

thoughts?

-Rusty
URY914
Look a campbell's spoiler two posts back on the orange car. It have ducts in it. It comes that way.

Paul
Lawrence
No, different brake ducts.. these are horzontal slots.
ninefourteener
This is the "ultimate Air Dam" from Pelican Parts. The brake ducts are built in, and it runs about $240.

I can't find ANYONE else that sells one, cause I think this one is the best looking one out there..... Any suggestions on where to find one besides PP??
seanery
everybody sells that one, just called different things.

AA sells it, so does Tweeks (with or without ducting).
ejm
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 10 2003, 10:01 AM)
.. these are horzontal slots.

I think I have something like that home, came off a parts car years ago. Will try to post a pic later.
Lawrence
I think that ultimate air dam... looks like the ultimate POS.

It's the 80s version, over-done, big-hair, parody of all air dams... and if a car pulled up with one, I'd wonder how many clowns would pile out.
seanery
It's definitly a track piece.
Andyrew
I think the Ultimate air dam it a little big for the car, if it was smaller, it might look better.

Anyone have any pictures of the air dam in tweeks? I like it, and I think it could compliment the lines very well. I just havent seen it on a 914 yet..
seanery
that looks like the one Rusty was asking about.
TheCabinetmaker
Here's a pic of the ultimate air dam on my car. It came from automotion (before the merger). It was thin and not well made. I had to repair it five times in one year. Just too close to the ground for street use. I've since gone back to the origianl steel valance.

The only "clowns that ever got out of my car were the ones in the passenger seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pissoff.gif
TheCabinetmaker
opps, the "clown" forgot to add the pic
TheCabinetmaker
clown is brain dead!!!!!!
TheCabinetmaker
I give up!
ejm
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 10 2003, 04:15 PM)

That's the one I have but no pictures of it on a car. sad.gif

That Tweeks ad describes the flex dam I had on my '72. Looked good and was curb friendly. smile.gif
Andyrew

Are you saying it looks like the "ultimate air dam"? If so, I see no resemblance. The picture doesnt show it, but it looks like it is the factory stock steel one with a "splitter" on the bottom and ducts. My guess is that it is about 5 in shorter than the "ultimate air dam"

That's the one I have but no pictures of it on a car.  

That Tweeks ad describes the flex dam I had on my '72. Looked good and was curb friendly.  

How does it look?
Ya, I have a flex dam on my car (took off the flex part, i didnt like it) and I personally think its junk. I will leave it on there till I find a suitable replacement and I think the one I showed in tweeks is what im leaning twards.
AZ914
I think Performance Products also has the 'Ultimate Air Dam'
tryan
okay, the dollartwonintyeight question. say at 70mph + ,do the air dam damits make your car run hotter. to much air OVER the car create a vacume ( well, just less pressure ) around the engine grill?

i had a jcwhitney flex dam on a '79 'lude. she would hunker down at speed, but it sure took a lot more go pedal to get there.

i
MarkV
Lawrence, Is this the dam you are looking for? cool_shades.gif

Buy it now $50
Lawrence
That was it... damn... missed the BIN.

I'll keep an eye on it! Thanks!

-Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.