Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to clean overspray off of vinyl?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
So in painting my floors I didn't cover my door panels well enough. Some paint snuck in behind the plastic. Anyone have a good recommendation for how to get it off?
ellisor3
Start midest first

Simple Green
Alcohol
Mineral Spirits
Vinyl is very easy to discolor with chemicals. Probably wouldn't go any further than that
messix
dish soap water and a scotch brite sponge
NJ914Guy
Denatured alcohol is safe and will strip it right off.
luskesq
I found a product @ Home Depot called Motesenbocker's Lift Off 4, Acrylic Anamel & Spray Paint Remover. It is water based and actually does a decent job even with 2 stage paint. For vinyl I'd test a small sample first and I think I may have used it on some in the past without any problem. Works very good on rattle can overspray. Relatively cheap also, it comes in a 4.5oz container for about $5-6.00 IIRCC.

Good luck,

Keith
chrispy
I read an article on WD40. It said it removed paint fom a car that had been tagged. Maybe it will work for you.
Good luck, Chris
JRust
QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Mar 4 2012, 04:56 PM) *

Where do they sell that? I've never seen it confused24.gif Thanks smile.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Mar 4 2012, 06:56 PM) *

YEP!

That's what I would use!
You can get it at Home Depot in the Paint section.
JRust
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Mar 5 2012, 12:18 PM) *

YEP!

That's what I would use!
You can get it at Home Depot in the Paint section.

Perfect Thanks biggrin.gif
markyb
QUOTE(luskesq @ Mar 4 2012, 11:48 PM) *

I found a product @ Home Depot called Motesenbocker's Lift Off 4, Acrylic Anamel & Spray Paint Remover. It is water based and actually does a decent job even with 2 stage paint. For vinyl I'd test a small sample first and I think I may have used it on some in the past without any problem. Works very good on rattle can overspray. Relatively cheap also, it comes in a 4.5oz container for about $5-6.00 IIRCC.

Good luck,

Keith

I've used this too, and with good results on vinyl. The sooner you clean it, the better it will work, try to clean it before the paint has too much time to cure. The toughest part was letting the stuff do its' magic, I think they recommend spraying it on and waiting 15-20 minutes before wiping it off.
Rand
QUOTE(chrispy @ Mar 4 2012, 08:50 PM) *

I read an article on WD40. It said it removed paint fom a car that had been tagged. Maybe it will work for you.
Good luck, Chris

I used WD40 to get a spray-painted graffiti tag off of a sign that was printed on vinyl. Kind of surprised me how well it worked. Took the paint off but didn't harm the printed ink.

Drums66

thumb3d.gif
JRust
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Mar 5 2012, 06:29 PM) *

thumb3d.gif

I picked some up at Home Depot. Worked like a charm biggrin.gif Thanks
NJ914Guy
Welcome biggrin.gif
stugray
Pure lemon oil removed things from my hands that would not come off with anything else:

http://www.youngliving.com/essential-oils/Lemon

My wife is a distributor and I was amazed.
It removed epoxy paint from my hands immediately.
I am sure it would be safe on vinyl and make the car smell good ;-)

Stu
gothspeed
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 4 2012, 04:40 PM) *

dish soap water and a scotch brite sponge

+1 ....... smile.gif
TC 914-8
WTF.gif Laquer thinner works on everything in my garage, just give it a test on a small spot to make sure nothing melts.
Also try Acetone AKA nail polish remover, again a small test area to start. Acetone is also good for poison oak, dries it up in seconds.
Just my $.02.
Wd 40 also a good natural solvent ( fish oil)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.