Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone cut a wart in half?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
I know the preferred route is to eliminate them all together, but has anyone successfully reduced their width by about half, so they don't stick out so far?

I really don't want to pay for the body work to remove them unless Something else needs to be repaired.
JimN73
We had a 2000 plus or minus Passat. The lights were flush with the body, about 2 inches long and less than an inch high Someithing like that would give you the light and keep a low profile.
scotty b
QUOTE(JimN73 @ Mar 4 2012, 07:36 PM) *

We had a 2000 plus or minus Passat. The lights were flush with the body, about 2 inches long and less than an inch high Someithing like that would give you the light and keep a low profile.

Good suggestion but it defeats his desire of not having to do any body work. I would suggest you take a faded or cracked one and try cutting it with a hand hacksaw. Any type of power tool is going to generate too much heat and melt the lens. Measure how far the bulb sticks out first and give yourself an addtional 1/16 inch minimum to keep space between the lens and bulb. Having said all that, I doubt you will be able to get a full half cut off due to the bulb clearance confused24.gif
RickS
Scotty, the hack saw sounds like a far better idea than my Dremel. Think I will do the measurements for clearance and try to cut down appropriately. May be a bit of work for nothing, but it's worth giving it a shot.
GeorgeRud
Convert to LEDs and the heat is out of the equation! Might work quite nicely to make the lens tuck in much closer.
RickS
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Mar 4 2012, 08:11 PM) *

Convert to LEDs and the heat is out of the equation! Might work quite nicely to make the lens tuck in much closer.

George, you may be in line for 914 World genius award. Great idea.

Now if someone else replies, maybe they will offer to do the conversion for me.
Zaney
I am looking for a replacement for my 'warts', that I filled in as well. I am relocating them to behind the front wheel wells at a modern height and location.

I have noticed that Audi, modern VW's and even some Mazda 3's have compact, flush LED side markers with a clear lens. I plan on using an amber LED replacement bulb from Superbright LED's to match the euro theme.

Please post what you discover. I am just down the road in Redmond.

Cheers,
Nate beerchug.gif
Gint
Chuck made up something cool years ago. I don't know if he ever went through to installation.
http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/SideLight.htm
scotty b
another option would be electroluminecent panels. Defeats the cost purpose, but holds up to the low profile low heat idea
RickS
The result of the experiment was a tremendous bust. I had a spare reflector with a broken off mounting post thingy - just a large hole where the screw/bolt should have snugged up. So after careful measurement to a little less than half, I proceeded to hack saw it and the thinest piece was too thin and wouldn't mate do to an 1/8th inch gap. Not worth doing another one.
Andyrew
I used a bench grinder and made them 1/2 the size. Worked based on my trial.. But I just removed them alltogether at that point because they still looked like crap..
TargaToy
Guys with old Kawasakis like I have bob our rear light fixtures. Same idea as what you're talking about on the warts. I did mine with success using a hack saw as Scotty suggested to give control and keep the heat down.
bigkensteele
Have you googled truck part vendors? I have seen all manner of lights on rigs, and it would seem that you could find a low profile LED unit that could work if you look hard enough. Even if it were rectangular, it would still look better than what they foisted upon us in the early '70s.

I am going to remove mine when it is time for paint and put a couple of 911 units behind the wheel well. I like having them, but I hate how they did them from the factory.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 5 2012, 06:50 PM) *

Chuck made up something cool years ago. I don't know if he ever went through to installation.
http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/SideLight.htm

I really like these. Excuse my ignorance but who is Chuck and how can I reach him?

EDIT: I think I found his exact reflector here: http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/c-797-reflectors.aspx

Edit again: I found this light. It's 2.5" Doesn't show a side profile though: http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showpr...lectorized-lens
swood
what about replacing the side lights with one that mounts to the inside lip of the fender? This sort of light, but might need to be a little smaller. I'd totally do this if i can find one that i could just cut in and easily wire up.

Click to view attachment

Something like this, but maybe a little smaller, less noticeable.

Click to view attachment
steuspeed
Edit again: I found this light. It's 2.5" Doesn't show a side profile though: http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showpr...lectorized-lens
[/quote]

Click on pic [2] it's 11/16" thick. That's not it.

Chuckster says "reflector" plus I see the diamond pattern on the first edit you found.
RickS
Just for grins, I am going to order a couple of these and see what's what:

I think I found his exact reflector here: http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showpr...lectorized-lens

Edit: Holy crap the cheapest shipping is almost $12 for $5.50 in parts. May have to rethink that - maybe some one needs to tell them about the USPS flat rate envelopes.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 7 2012, 11:01 AM) *

I really like these. Excuse my ignorance but who is Chuck and how can I reach him?

There's an email link at the bottom of this page:
Chuxter's projects page
ape914
I bought a 914 one time that had yellow plastic reflectors of the same diameter as the side lights mounted instead of side lights, (glued on) they stuck out about 3/16th inch. Looks like the typical hardware store reflector, the type you see folks use to mark mail boxes or to mark posts or trees, or at driveway entrances.

I am sure the white plastic backing could be removed, to make them thinner still, or maybe drill out a little hole in the backing to add a small light bulb?

this would be the simple solution to a thin "light" and the reflective diamond pattern is already made for you, sweet!!!!
sfrenck
How about this one?

Etrailer Yellow LED

Have to make the fender hole bigger....
sfrenck
More info, with a trim ring?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
sfrenck
Another - no screws this time. Size is 2-1/2" dia. x 3/4", 3-1/4" dia. w/grommet, Cutout: 2-25/32" dia.

Click to view attachment

2 1/2" Flush mount LED
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.