Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear sway bar cup install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
man, sometimes it's the simplest things headbang.gif

I can't get the ball cups into the droplinks for the rear sway bar.
I tried the microwave for 20 seconds, warm but not pliable then I did it for 35 more seconds and cooked em...melty ohmy.gif

any been there done thats?
GaroldShaffer
rubber malet. Also used a C clamp and just kept turning until it POP. It is a PITA
rhodyguy
you have to microwave them in WATER sean. i just use boiling water off the stove and carry them out in the pyrex. a little grease around the insertion point helps too. ohmy.gif

kevin
HarveyH
Microwave them in water to soften. Press into the drop links using a bench vise, C-clamp, or large (water pump) pliers. Remember that they enter the drop links from opposite directions. spank.gif A little lube helps here.

When pressing onto the ball joints of the bar or the lower shock bolt don't use lube in the socket, it can form an air seal icon8.gif preventing the socket from pressing onto the ball. Working on jack stands, I used water pump pliers to seat the drop links onto the balls. If you're working on a lift and have room to work under the car, I've been told you can use a long screwdriver or bar pivoted up in the wheel arch to lever them on.

Harvey
SLITS
Bench vise, Super Lube Spray & a socket. Easier than shit - screw the water and microwave .
seanery
when i put 'em in the bench vise they were just squishing in the middle. I cant' get the whole inner lip of the cup into the droplink. headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.