Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice regaurding Fuchs Wheel Refinishing?!?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74porsche914
I have started refinishing a set of Fuchs 914 alloys; two of which were in excellent shape and two of which are mediocre. I have already removed anodizing using oven cleaner and am in the process of dry sanding the wheels. Three of the wheels came out beautifully and one has some problems. This wheel has horrible pitting on the pedals and lips. I have removed the pitting on the pedals using a DA sander but am having a ton of difficulty removing the pitting from the lip. I have spent probably five hours of intense sanding and went all the way down to 50 grip with no success. I am scared to sand non parallel to the lips for fear of bad sanding scratches. You guys have any suggestions for this pitting??
mepstein
Buy another one and use the pitted one as a spare.

*Is the pitted one a real fuchs or maybe a repro?
74porsche914
The pitted one is real but is a lot more worn than the others.
OU8AVW
I agree, singles are cheaper and it's a sure way to get a good wheel.....
74porsche914
I realized I posted this to the wrong section. How do I move or delete this thread??
Mikey914
QUOTE(74porsche914 @ Mar 5 2012, 05:21 PM) *

I realized I posted this to the wrong section. How do I move or delete this thread??

No need to delete, just change the tile to WTB 1 Fuch
74porsche914
I would but I cannot afford it as I am a college student. Maybe in a few weeks.
Gint
I'll move it to the garage for you.
74porsche914
Thanks
McMark
I'd take the wheels to a tire shop and have them spun for balance before spending a bunch of time on them. If they're bent or severely out of balance, then you're wasting your time.
balljoint
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 6 2012, 12:23 PM) *

I'd take the wheels to a tire shop and have them spun for balance before spending a bunch of time on them. If they're bent or severely out of balance, then you're wasting your time.

That is very good advice on these old wheels. BTDT thumb3d.gif
74porsche914
I bout the wheels from a very trustworthy guy on this forum, name Tomas, who had already had them checked out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.