Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Synthetic Transmission Oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
Someone told me if I use new synthetic transmission oil in my teener, I might get seal leaks because it is thinner than the recommended 90 oil.

Any thoughts on this?
d914
the syncros will also have a hard time, too silippery or whatever..dont go there!!
Woody
Dont even bother with it. My trans shifted rougher with synthetic. I swapped back to conventional 100 miles later.
Richard Casto
Use dino and not synthetic with Porsche Synchromesh. My transmission fluid article...

http://www.blueskymotorsports.com/index.ph...16&Itemid=6
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Woody @ Mar 6 2012, 08:14 AM) *

Dont even bother with it. My trans shifted rougher with synthetic. I swapped back to conventional 100 miles later.

agree.gif
same experience here. FWIW swepco didn't cause any leakage...
Dr Evil
In addition to Richard's well written article, you can read my thoughts in my 31 pages article linked in my signature below smile.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Mar 6 2012, 08:41 AM) *

Scott are you using swepco? Any improvement?

Not trying to hijack or open up this debate, just want the opinion of a guy I know + trust wink.gif
shoguneagle
For all the above reasons and advice, I am using dino petro in my newly Dr. Evil Transaxle.

I have an unopened bottle (1 gal.) of Swepco available if anyone needs it.

Steve Hurt
Drums66
....It(synthetic) brought out unfortunate leaks...when I tried it!...went back
to *Redline*......happy ever since. flag.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif (here we go guys?)
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(rwilner @ Mar 6 2012, 09:28 AM) *

Not trying to hijack or open up this debate, just want the opinion of a guy I know + trust wink.gif

Rich I use synthetics as often as possible and laugh at a lot of the pro and con opinions you see on the web - its oil not magic and not a curse.

The PO of my car put fresh swepco in my car just before selling it to me.

My trans is probably very typical of the semi-tired trans that (at a minimum) could use new 1st and 2nd gear synchros.

After replacing the shifter bushings, adjusting the linkage and the clutch and still not being happy with the way it was shifting I decided to try dino lube.

While I'll promise you it is still a semi-tired trans that is not the best shifter, it definitely and noticeably shifts better with the dino lube.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Mar 8 2012, 03:55 PM) *

Uhhhhh, Redline "IS" synthetic.

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Dont bother, John rolleyes.gif
sixaddict
Ditto ...got mine back with synthetic and leaked all over the garage floor before being installed ...Dumped $80 out and replaced with Swepco
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Mar 8 2012, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(rwilner @ Mar 6 2012, 09:28 AM) *

Rich I use synthetics as often as possible and laugh at a lot of the pro and con opinions you see on the web - its oil not magic and not a curse.

The PO of my car put fresh swepco in my car just before selling it to me.

My trans is probably very typical of the semi-tired trans that (at a minimum) could use new 1st and 2nd gear synchros.

After replacing the shifter bushings, adjusting the linkage and the clutch and still not being happy with the way it was shifting I decided to try dino lube.

While I'll promise you it is still a semi-tired trans that is not the best shifter, it definitely and noticeably shifts better with the dino lube.

I was under the impression that swepco is a synthetic. Now it appears that it is not? Is that correct?

If so I mis-stated my experience - car came with swepco, shifts better with the cheap stuff.
underthetire
Ya, I tried redline Mtl, and mt90. Went right back to the cheap 90wt.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 8 2012, 08:05 PM) *

The Cap'n

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 8 2012, 08:54 PM) *

Couldn't have said it better Doc.
PThompson509
I used Swepco in my rebuilt tranny, and yes, there were some leaks. I'm going back to dino oil. The shifting was rather stiff too, though that could be due to the short shifter - hard to tell. Will post again after the oil change.
Drums66
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 9 2012, 08:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 8 2012, 08:05 PM) *

The Cap'n

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 8 2012, 08:54 PM) *

Couldn't have said it better Doc.

....Quit givin head to each other guys!....we were serious laugh.gif
bye1.gif( but....I do love ya'll(good advice Evil"don't bother")
JawjaPorsche
I got my engine resealed last summer. They also replaced all the shifter bushings too. My mechanic said he replaced the tranny oil with new syn oil. He said it was the best. Was he ever wrong! Started getting leaks at shaft seal plus one of the CV seals. I used a piece of cardboard under the car to monitor the leaks. Yesterday, I replaced the oil with Valvoline Dino oil. I placed a new piece of cardboard under the teener and this morning it was completely spot free! Better is not always better! beerchug.gif
steuspeed
Double check that Valvoline. If it says limited slip it's not right. I just did the SWEPCO thing and had awful shifting results. It's way too slick for the syncros to work properly. You need hypoid GL5 gear oil. Carquest sells by the gallon cheap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.