Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket chrome lugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Looking into some chrome lugs, and saw a couple of vendors on eBay....has anyone bought these? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

update;..takes about 20 minutes per, but its worth it....

representative slice, with an unpolished bretheren...Click to view attachment

happy with the results, we don't need no stinkin' chrome.....
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 6 2012, 09:20 AM) *

Looking into some chrome lugs, and saw a couple of vendors on eBay....has anyone bought these? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Purchasing chrome lugs for 4-bolt wheels requires some care. There are good and bad ones. Enough information on this thread 914 lugs for alloy wheels
PBC914
If you already have OE lugs, try using a bench top buffer on them. On my 75 that I purchased last summer, all of them were rusty. After buffing they look like chrome/new with a $60 investment in materials.
Tom_T
Many folks on here have got the ones from the guy on TheSamba & evil-bay in San Antonio TX who goes by "The Adanate" IIRC, as they have the proper acorn head & length.

I bought SoCalAndy's on here polished Fuchs set of 5 wheels with those lugs after he converted to 5 lug, so you could PM him about fitment & driving use, since I've not used them yet (I'm still early in Resto).
Porschef
After doing some searching and then actually getting my ass out to the garage, I gave the home polish recommendation a shot.

Some of the lugs were better than others. After hitting them up with the wire buffer, all the rust was removed; this allowed a better view of what was going on. The pitting was pretty extensive on some, so I got a fine bastard file along with some wet paper in assorted grits.

Not wanting to turn them into 18mm bolts, I filed them just enough to remove most of the pitting, then worked my way up from 180 to 400. Holding them in a soft jaw vice and sanding each edge takes a while, and then after the 400, worked through three grades of buffing compound.

Another bonus was that all the machining marks on the head were removed.

I don't have photos to post, but suffice to say that the difference is amazing. Looks *almost* like chrome....from a few feet anyway...... piratenanner.gif

Joe
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 6 2012, 02:18 PM) *

Many folks on here have got the ones from the guy on TheSamba & evil-bay in San Antonio TX who goes by "The Adanate" IIRC, as they have the proper acorn head & length.

Just as a note there are many on here who had negative things to say about theandante and his wears. do a search. It has been a few years now, but the "ball" was the proper shape, not coned, yet was actually to large to apply equal pressure when being seated.
G e o r g e
Or let Al Reed Chrome them
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Mar 6 2012, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 6 2012, 02:18 PM) *

Just as a note there are many on here who had negative things to say about theandante and his wears. do a search. It has been a few years now, but the "ball" was the proper shape, not coned, yet was actually to large to apply equal pressure when being seated.

In the link I posted there's a "heated" exchange between Theandante and another SAMBA member.

After doing some searching and then actually getting my ass out to the garage, I gave the home polish recommendation a shot.

Way to go Porschef! That sounds like a lot of work but you know they will work.

After 20 minutes of internet "research' I saw three different specs for Porsche lugs: 38mm, 37mm, and 27mm, (length) Which is it? It has to depend on the kind of wheel, right?
Porschef
Yea!
Jeffs9146
If the car sits out side alot you should consider coating them with something after sanding or they will rust, won't they?!

QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 6 2012, 05:37 PM) *

Some of the lugs were better than others. After hitting them up with the wire buffer, all the rust was removed; this allowed a better view of what was going on. The pitting was pretty extensive on some, so I got a fine bastard file along with some wet paper in assorted grits.

Not wanting to turn them into 18mm bolts, I filed them just enough to remove most of the pitting, then worked my way up from 180 to 400. Holding them in a soft jaw vice and sanding each edge takes a while, and then after the 400, worked through three grades of buffing compound.

I don't have photos to post, but suffice to say that the difference is amazing. Looks *almost* like chrome....from a few feet anyway...... piratenanner.gif

Joe

Porschef
It's garaged, but some Collinite should work. Great stuff, that...
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Porschef @ Mar 6 2012, 05:37 PM) *

IPB Image

Joe

Dang, I wouldn't believe that was possible without that picture as proof. Great job! You have a LOT more patience than me ...
Valy
Wanna do mine?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.