Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: relay board cover on a 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Gustl
this question is from a friend from Germany:

there are different relay board covers, but which one is correct for an original 914-6

Click to view attachment

my very late MY'70 914-6 has the "square" style cover:

Click to view attachment

same here at a MY'71 914-6:

Click to view attachment

we know from at least two early MY'70 914-6 that have the sloping version installed

so, which one is correct - or, when did they change the relay board cover?

beerchug.gif Gustl
Tom_T
I can't answer your question Wolfgang, but I'll buy a VG-Excl sloping one with no cracks/splits/chips for my 73 914-2.0's resto, if you or your friend find out it's the wrong one! biggrin.gif
sixerdon
Wolfgang,
The cover on the right at the top and the ones in the cars would be the correct cover for your car with the knurled nut on the threaded stud to secure it. The sloped cover was introduced for the retractable seat belt install in late '72, I believe.
Now you mentioned that you have seen early /6's with the sloped cover? From my experience on both my Jan & Mar '70 cars, they never came with a cover. They didn't even have a threaded stud. I have since installed them for obvious protection. I have seen others in pictures from magazines and owners manual from the era that show just a bare circuit board. I don't know when they were first installed in either the /4 or /6. If you have an owners manual there should be a picture without the cover.
However, yours being a late MY '70 sold in '71, could have had the "early" cover installed by that time.
BTW, there was a 3rd cover designed for the '75 & '76 models without stud and nut and held in place by a rubber strap.

Where's Paul?.........do you have a cover on your circuit board?

Don
IronHillRestorations
Looks like the same green as my 6, I'll check the board cover.
gms
the cover was changed when they installed the retractable seat belt, it was necessary to angle the top of the cover to fit under the bolt plate.
Gustl
thanks guys beerchug.gif
porbmw
Alright...
Line from the old gramps in "Moonstruck"...."I am SOOO confused!" sad.gif

I understand the earliest cars may not have had covers....and that perhaps towards the end of MY70 the factory started installing the squared off cover.

If so...I'm assuming they used the threaded rod to affix the cover...
AND
If so, then what is the item sold by AA, the twofer that is akin to 2 different sized rubber bands, one for the battery cover, and the other for the relay board.

Which leads me to my next 3 questions:
a)if the earliest cars didn't have the threaded rod, is that why Porsche then used a rubber band for a while.....assuming that is what it is for

b)how best does one retrofit the early cars to use the cover....AND (not to hijack this thread, but it may have already just about run its' course..) sad.gif

c)slightly off topic....what's the scoop re the battery covers. Somewhere in this site there is brief discussion on battery covers, can't find it, and it didn't answer my questions. I gather the earliest cars didn't have a cover...and Porsche then came up with one, or two versions. I see advertised the cover that is basically a perforated plate...have never figured out how it attaches to the battery...is the "AA rubber band" the factory solution to that?...and....did Porsche have more than one version of battery cover.

Yikes
porbmw
I guess if I had READ the Reply of Sixerdon more carefully, I would have learned that the rubber band for the relay cover came into use in the twilight years of the 914... dry.gif
Does that coincide with a rubber band system with the battery cover...
and
Still, what is the best way to retro a car that didn't come with the cover. sad.gif

Thanks
gms
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 6 2012, 11:52 PM) *

the cover was changed when they installed the retractable seat belt, it was necessary to angle the top of the cover to fit under the bolt plate.

picture added for clarification
Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 7 2012, 12:52 AM) *

Good call Glen & right on.
Gustl
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 8 2012, 12:04 AM) *

picture added for clarification
Click to view attachment

thanks Glenn pray.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Mar 7 2012, 04:48 AM) *

BTW, there was a 3rd cover designed for the '75 & '76 models without stud and nut and held in place by a rubber strap.

could we get a pic from this version idea.gif

I'm a visual orientated guy ...

sixerdon
QUOTE(Gustl @ Mar 9 2012, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Mar 7 2012, 04:48 AM) *

could we get a pic from this version idea.gif

I'm a visual orientated guy ...

Wolfgang,
Imagine Glenn's picture above without the raised boss and hole. It would be just a flat top that was held in place with a rubber strap. No threaded rod. That would be the 3rd and final version of this cover.
If, in 1980, you were to go to the dealer and requested to purchase a cover for your 1970 914/6, you most likely would have received the 3rd version with the sloped front, no hole and a rubber strap. Simply put, it was adaptable to all years and therefore superseded the previous versions.
Hope this answers your question.
Don
sixerdon
QUOTE(porbmw @ Mar 7 2012, 10:37 AM) *

I guess if I had READ the Reply of Sixerdon more carefully, I would have learned that the rubber band for the relay cover came into use in the twilight years of the 914... dry.gif
Does that coincide with a rubber band system with the battery cover...
and
Still, what is the best way to retro a car that didn't come with the cover. sad.gif

Thanks

To answer your questions.......
The two rubber bands you are referencing would have been for MY '75/'76. The early battery cover with large rubber strap, was installed by the factory from Oct, 1970 through MY '76. (recall campaign 9J) In late July, 1977, P+A announced a recall campaign, HO, to install a new larger cover. Note that no factory cars ever came with the 2nd larger cover. The recall was issued a full year and a half after production ended.
Read more here; http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Recalls.htm
For your 2nd question, pick either one........
Hope this helps.

Don

sixerdon
One final note on the relay covers.
Recall campaign 9K indicates that;
1970 914/4's up to 4702905280
and
1970 914/6's up to 9140431035
never received covers at the factory. That would put this time frame about mid March 1970.

Also, 9K mentions that the bottoms of the early relay/circuit boards were not covered with the tar like substance to cover and protect the exposed circuit. One of my /6's is still exposed, but remains dry and protected.

Reference: http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Recalls.htm

Don
Gustl
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Mar 24 2012, 02:43 PM) *

Hope this answers your question.
Don

beerchug.gif Thanks
pete000
I noticed my early six number 131 has a late angled cover. Over the years the orig must have cracked and it was swapped out with a late one.

This really bums me out becaus I picked one up for my 74 and it was a non angled early cover and would not fit ! I ended up selling it. DOUGH !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.