Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EFI Brain Dead?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd

I believe the brain sends logic to the relay when key is turned and then again when engine starts. If the pump only runs when I jump it, does that mean I need a new FI brain
pt_700
i'm sure others with more experience than i will comment.

recent personal experience i can add; lack of signal to my fuel injectors (1.7 djet) was caused by a faulty e.c.u. this was the last thing to get checked.

have you checked the round relays in the engine compartment? there are several in the car to swap around. the one's up front for the headlight motors are the same as the one for the fuel pump.
Dave_Darling
Check the fuel pump troubleshooting flowchart toward the bottom of:

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders

--DD
914itis
I just went thru this 2 days ago here is the tread .

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1640224
wndsnd
You guys are great - thanks for the quick response. I started pulling out the brain and then stopped when I realized what a job it is. The relays dont click but I didnt try changing out with the headlight relay. Where is that located. How aboutany other relays. I dont know about?
SLITS
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Mar 6 2012, 04:54 PM) *

You guys are great - thanks for the quick response. I started pulling out the brain and then stopped when I realized what a job it is. The relays dont click but I didnt try changing out with the headlight relay. Where is that located. How aboutany other relays. I dont know about?

Fuse panel has some too!
Dave_Darling
Headlight relays are in the front trunk. Look on the sides of the headlight buckets. I don't remember if they get covered by the rubber cover (when it's still there), but next to each headlight motor you'll find another round relay.

--DD
Tom
There are 4 of the round relays on the relay board. from front to back they are:
1 - closest to front - rear window defogger.
2- Power relay
3 - fuel pump relay
4 - heater fan relay

remove the fuel pump relay and check for corrosion, clean as necessary.
If this doesn't help remove relay # 1or #4 and put it in the place of relay#3.
let us know the outcome.
Tom
wndsnd
I have rotated all the engine relays around and bought one new as well. I am not getting any clicking even after checking the fuse and power at the sockets (all ok). I suppose all relays in the rear could be bad. I know the headlights work so I will try one of them. This is a 73 1.7 and I did,t see any relays near under dash fuse block unless I missed them.
r_towle
Pop up the headlights.
Do they pop open?

Use one of those relays to test with.

Rich
Dave_Darling
The fuse panel relays are mounted to the top of the fuse panel. You have to unbolt it and drop it from the underside of the dash to see those. Just use the headlight relay to make sure.

Have you checked through the flowchart for fuel pump operation yet? Checked the fuses on the relay board?

--DD
wndsnd
Dave I could not follow that link to anderson on this tablet for some reason but I will when I get on my desktop. I hear mumblings os a seat belt disconnect in circuit also that wouls prevent a start. Not sure they had that kind of logic but I will heck it out. I also heard of a master power relay, but I think they are refering to relay on board for ecu, and not some other master elsewhere.
JamesM
Relay board problems can cause this as well. One of my cars was doing the same thing for a while due to the relay not getting

Will the car run with the fuel pump jumpered?
Prospectfarms
My car's original fuel pump came to me powered (hotwired/jumped/jumpered) off the power lead to the 12 pin terminal at the engine bay relay board. Turns out the proper fuel pump power lead had a bad connection at the 14 pin terminal. Mine is a '72-- no matter --the point is that the terminals at the engine and ignition harness's coming off the relay board go bad, and like the previous post suggests, you should check those connections, clean and tighten them up as best you can.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Mar 6 2012, 07:12 PM) *
I hear mumblings os a seat belt disconnect in circuit also that wouls prevent a start.

That was on the 74 model year only (possibly with some 75 model year 914s also having it). Search on "interlock" or "relais", as the part is sometimes called the "dreaded seatbelt interlock relay", and the printed label on it says "logic relais".

Then again, you don't have a 74 so you don't have to bother with it, so maybe not.

I also heard of a master power relay, but I think they are refering to relay on board for ecu, and not some other master elsewhere.

There is a power relay for the fuel injection system. That's on the relay board. There is another relay that carries "switched power". (There are other switched power circuits that don't run through a relay.) That one is on top of the fuse panel, and I think is often called the wiper relay.

--DD
type47
How about the "fuel pump runs for 1.5 sec when key is turned on" operation? Could you perhaps be turning the key on then getting out of the car to listen to the pump running and by the time you get there, the 1.5 sec period is over?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.