Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I sick?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
loco914
I got to drive this today

Click to view attachment

and had just as much fun driving this to and from.

Click to view attachment

I am in no way equating my car to a 599, but to just drive around I figure the $$ to fun factor is waaay in my favor!

biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(loco914 @ Mar 6 2012, 07:11 PM) *
Am I sick?

Most certainly! biggrin.gif
infraredcalvin
Exotic/expensive doesn't equal fun to drive, although I'd like to take a shot...

My buddy has a Carrera GT he hates to drive it, has more fun driving his 356.
RickS
Sick? Most definitely. Rich? Most definitely not.
rick 918-S
Completely different level of fun. Ya, you got the disease. aktion035.gif driving.gif
cwpeden
Just think, with a 599 you have the opportunity to spend the value of your 914 in oil changes each year.

agree.gif Totally different fun.
Tom_T
QUOTE(loco914 @ Mar 6 2012, 07:11 PM) *

Yeah, & ya gotta love that Alaska Blue Metallic! drooley.gif wub.gif
JawjaPorsche
We ARE all sick! It is something about driving a car that is almost 40 years old that not everyone has. We are an elite club! beerchug.gif
stuttgart46
I love modern technology but there is no way to recreate the seat of the pants experience you get from a 914 or early 911 IMHO. I have been fortunate enought to drive and race some pretty neat cars but there is nothing like climbing out of a 914/6-GT or early 911 after a race. You feel like you got away with something when you put down a good lap. Spec Boxsters and Cup Cars are a ton of fun and those Cup Cars fly but it's a somewhat muted experience with all of the stuff the car does for you.
It's funny to me that the masses have pushed Ferrari and Porsche, etc. to build a car that can be driven everyday to work and then tracked on the weekend and then when they do it we feel like we are missing something.
6freak
Ill take the Ferrari on a closed course any day of the week driving.gif if nothing else just for the shear excellaration
MikeC smile.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 7 2012, 06:32 AM) *

Ill take the Ferrari on a closed course any day of the week driving.gif if nothing else just for the shear excellaration
MikeC smile.gif

Excellaration? idea.gif Nice word Mike....combination of acceleration and exhilaration. thumb3d.gif
Beach914
I have the same problem. I sold my 74 a year or so ago because I had picked up a 308 GTSi fixer for a great price. Two weeks later I'm hunting Craigslist for 914's and find a 74 roller down in San Diego. Then I came across a cleaner, less rusty 72 in Costa Mesa and suddenly I had two 914's again. Back down to one again and focusing on making the 72 like one of the cars from the Creamsicle thread. Hopefully it will look something like this.

Click to view attachment

I miss the feeling that driving the 914 gives me compared to the 308.

So now I've decided to have both.

Click to view attachment

I am very happy.
porbmw
I am very happy.

And you should be! beerchug.gif
6freak
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 7 2012, 06:48 AM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 7 2012, 06:32 AM) *

MikeC smile.gif

Excellaration? idea.gif Nice word Mike....combination of acceleration and exhilaration. thumb3d.gif

sorry ...I SUCK AT SPELLING YA`LL NO THAT..but im a really good driver on Tuesdays lol-2.gif

MikeC smile.gif
clapeza
I've got a friend who has a Ferrari 360 Modena and I asked him about the 15k mile service. In AutoWeek classifieds you frequently see Ferraris listed for sale with "recent 15k mile service", so I asked him what was the big deal about that 15K mile service.

"It's about $20,000."

I guess if you have to ask...

QUOTE(cwpeden @ Mar 7 2012, 01:17 AM) *

Just think, with a 599 you have the opportunity to spend the value of your 914 in oil changes each year.

agree.gif Totally different fun.

Beach914
308 can still be worked on. Not always easy or cheap but there is lots that I can do and have done. 30K service kit is about $1000. Problem is it supposedly takes 34 hours to do it. 30K service would be in the $4-5k range for my car.

Ferrari Chat has a pretty good website (not as good or comprehensive as 914 World) that has some links and advice on doing things yourself. A lot of the 308 guys do their own work.

People really don't understand the true cost of ownership on these cars and that's why many of them are neglected.
loco914
Before the drive, I snapped some quick pics of their 914 models on display.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

and MY favorite... wub.gif

Click to view attachment

GeorgeRud
Same feeling. Like the new Corvettes, Vipers, 997s, etc., but none give me the sheer joy of motoring as my 914-6 does on a nice day with the top in the trunk.

I'll take a 914 or early 911 any day over the newer cars. I also like things that appreciate in value rather than depreciate as quickly as the new cars do!
RickS
Classics never get old, usually don't depreciate, and aren't displaced by the latest model year. The classics may lose their shine but their they are loved far more than those buying the latest soul-less conveyance.

Not a soul has walked up to me and said, "what a cool Jetta TDi Sportwagen", but it happens virtually every time with the 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.