Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FUCHS Question, Lip of wheel bent - Curb Rash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Vysoc
Hello World,

Recently purchased a 16 x 7 for the front of my 914-6 Project, to match the other one I have. Upon arrival the lip was bent as a result of coming in contact with most likely a curb. The rest of the wheel is in exception condition. I called the seller and he had me keep the bent wheel and sent a replacement, the replacement was straight but had alot of pitting in the aluminum. After putting 3 or 4 hours of work into the second wheel I don't know if it is worth the effort.

I did not pay alot for the initial wheel so going after the seller is not what I want to do.

So my questions are:
1) Can the wheel pictured below be straightened?
2) What is the procedure to straighten it?
3) What does it cost to have this done?
4) What companies do this type of work?

Thanks in advance for all the great wisdom that is passed along on this wonderful WEB-SITE.

THANK YOU,
Vysoc flag.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
That can be fixed
bulitt
google for a local wheel restoration shop.
phatnine11
Vysoc,
That is very fixable. There are probably mobile guys that do this kind of work in your area. I would talk to a service manager at a dealer on who they would use. Also, try a tire shop, they would probably know someone in your area.
Later,
Phatnine11
ConeDodger
Weidman's Wheels can fix that too. I think Al, Harvey's retired brother does their wheel straightening. Al Weidman is his name and screen name here. They are 914 guys...
Vysoc
Thanks for the great info, I have Thursdays off and am meeting the local Alloy Wheel Repair Guy at the Mercedes Dealership.

And then we will see if he can bring back to spec.

Thanks,

Vysoc flag.gif
The HEAP
Click to view attachment
Valy
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Mar 7 2012, 12:47 PM) *

Thanks for the great info, I have Thursdays off and am meeting the local Alloy Wheel Repair Guy at the Mercedes Dealership.

And then we will see if he can bring back to spec.

Thanks,

Vysoc flag.gif
The HEAP
Click to view attachment

Don't worry! I've fixed much worse than this.
My tip is to check that the wheel is not off center. Mount it on the car and give it a spin. Check that ther is no lateral deformation.
but even that may be fixed on a big press.

I would say you will have a nice pair of wheels.
Vysoc
Thanks for all the input,

Took the wheel to the the local mobile Alloy Wheel Repair guys working yesterday at the Mercedes Benz dealership in Naples.
45 minutes of bending, beating and checking with the micrometer and I was on my way. $125.00

Well worth it as this wheel will require very little work before I have it ready for paint.
They did a nice job, let me watch them and I am happy!

Just one more 16 x 7" Fuchs wheel back in business.

Vysoc flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.