Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sort of OT - Hose fittings - good vs bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -

Other than the adapter at the factory oil tank, I will be using -12AN lines for the oil return/auxiliary oil cooler on my conversion. There are a pile of different brands of fittings and tubing - companies like Jegs and Summit even have their own in house brands.

Is there any brand to stay away from?

After doing all of this work, I would really hate to have a bunch of leaks that were avoidable.

I am surprised that the actual normal/shiny steel braided hose is cheaper than the black fabric stuff. I am not really in to the bling, but running all of that line to the front cooler is kind of pricey.

Thanks!
Scott S
AZ914
I ended up getting mine through HRPWorld and I think the brand was RedHorse. They seem like nice pieces and were a bit cheaper than some (Earls) etc. I remember looking at Summit but they didn't have the proper bends in all the right colors or something. No personal experience with the others.
yeahmag
I've run the Summit fittings with no problems. I'm actually try JIC fittings this time for some of my connections:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIC_fitting
mrbubblehead
i am partial to aeroquip. i also run aeroquip socketless hose.
GeorgeRud
Aeroquip = good stuff. Check out anplumbing.com (Earl's) for lot's of good information on AN fittings, hose, etc.
Mike Bellis
I've use just about every type. Aeroquip is good but more expensive than Summit or Jegs. They all work abiout the same. Most fittings are compatable with most hoses, so you can mix brands a little. I have some real cheap ebay fittings that look just like Aeroquip except the brand stamp. Summit brand is good and cheap.

Use what ever you want unless you have a purpose built rrace car.
Mark Henry
For a black braided hose that look close to the factory smog hose material check out Parker hose firebraid hose and fittings. I've never used an -12 size hose but I've used a crap load of 1/2" ID hose for full flow oil system on bugs for years. No clamps when you use the correct Parker fittings and never so much as a single drop of oil. Once you put the fitting on the hose you will never get it off without cutting the hose. The hose has printing on one side but you can often turn and hide it.
mrbubblehead
aeroquip socketless hose and fittings are good to 300 psi. i also slip my oil and fuel lines thru fire sleeve. keeps the heat off of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.