Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Fuchs that were chromed be blasted?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
I picked up a set of chromed Fuchs. The chrome is flaking so I got them pretty reasonable. My plans were to have them blasted & then polish. That or powder coat & polish? If they won't polish maybe I can just powder coat the whole thing.

So what have you done? What may work
jmmotorsports
Best would be to have a chrome shop strip the plating off. Then you can do whatever you want to them. Stripping would do the least damage.

Jerry
Lennies914
I think Al Weidman said you can't chrome them. It does something to the integrity of the wheel. confused24.gif
al weidman
JR, do not sand blast or bead blast the wheels. The aluminum is much softer than the chrome and blasting will eat the material away leaving pockets and an uneven surface. A good chrome plater may help you but you face a similar condition with the acid. We have done many with good results but cleaning up the surface is still required. Al.
racerbvd
Mag Masters they can strip em and they are cheap..

Mag Masters Custom Polishing
www.magmasters.com/Home |

Mag Masters Custom Polishing |
1419 East Edinger Avenue Santa Ana, CA 92705
(714) 541-9777
About

Mag Masters Custom Polishing 1401 E. Pomona Street Santa ...
Services
... can Polish it to a Chrome-like Mirror Finish and that is 100 ...
a914622
Im in the same boat. I got a set of 6,7s that are chromed. As stated above strip them. There may be some copper platting that will need to be polished off. I was told the copper is a little stickier than chrome .

jeff
Mikey914
The problem I've seen is moisture inside the tire causes corrosion and seporation cases the tires to go flat.
You do need to have them stripped, not blasted. Then you can polish then and seal or anodize. Jamie let me know if you need them anodized.
JRust
Anybody have a company they know that does the stripping & an idea what they charge per wheel?
jmmotorsports
I think Oregon Plating in Portland will do it. I use a place in Centralia. I don't know what they would charge per wheel but the last time I had a bumper striped they didn't charge anything.

Jerry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.