Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proly oughta have a spare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledboy
I made one long trip w/o a spare in the V8, course I didn't think about it at the time. Probably not good policy. I don't wanna try it again rolling to the the FFC. unsure.gif

With the radiators in the front, there isn't room for a standard spare up there, and I'd like to keep the rear open for cargo. I think a space saver would stand up in the front. Where the hell do I get one, and what do they go for?
seanery
they've got pricey lately, you'll need an air compressor, too. Porsche supplied a nice one.

I spent $50 on the compressor and swiped the spare out of the 951 before the insurance totaled it.
aircooledboy
whadya spend?
drew365
They sell on e-bay pretty regular. I bought mine a couple years ago off e-bay but from a local guy so I picked it up and didn't pay shipping. I think I paid $75. Like Sean says, you need a compressor to fill it up.
Andyrew
I snatched mine from a 924 S at the local pick and pull.. hehehe...

Dad snatched the engine for his turbo (t04 project... goes in when my car is running..)

Didnt see a compressor.. but those can be had anywhere...

I'll be puttin mine in the rear trunk and will never use it till Im out of driving distance from home...

Andrew

Where to? well... ebay?? Classifieds?? PP classifieds under the 944 or 911.. or Rennlist classifieds might be a good place to try..
aircooledboy
Thanks boys. One last Q: Will any 5 bolt Porsche spare fit?
cha914
Sorta Hijack....

Is there such a thing as a 4-lug space saver? I am in the same boat with a front oil cooler and need a spare for longer trips. Any bug rims that would work??? I would like to stand it up in front of the firewall as many of you have done.

Thanks,

Tony
Aaron Cox
i thought it was just the tire that was special confused24.gif
brant
There is another way to look at this...
here is what I did...

bought a 14inch fuchs. (windmill looks much cooler than steel wheel)

went to junk yard and got a 14inch colapsable space saver tire form a different car (happened to be a nissan Zx) I also got the fill bottle that they used on that car.

had the tire mounted to my wheel.

stood it up inside the front trunk with mounting to the gas tank firewall.

Clears the hood fine...

You could do the same thing with a 4bolt wheel and just buy a 15inch collapsable from any car or even from a porsche if you wanted....

brant
Demick
If you buy the space saver from a 944 instead of a 911 it will tend to be cheaper (for no other reason than 944's are not worth as much as 911's). I bought a 944 space saver spare at a swap meet for $20. You can get a small 12V air compressor for $10 or $15 at any FLAPS or even a place like Target.

I believe any of the 5 bolts space saver spares will fit. But I'm not 100% sure.

Demick
brant
Chris,

I could come up with a good useable wheel (14 or 15inch) for your project if you need.... I'm sure we could trade out or something.

send me a note if you want
brant
Elliot_Cannon
I bought a collapsable space saver spare at the GAF swapmeat two years ago for $20.00. I have 4 lug wheels on my car and the space saver spare is 5 lug. (I don't know what car the spare came from). SKline had a wheel adapter laying around in his garage and was kind enough to give it to me. Thanks again Scott. I installed it on the left rear side and it fit pretty good. I think it would get me home ok. The max speed limit on the tire says 100kph I think. You can get a 12 volt air compressor pretty cheep or do what I did. I bought a small SCUBA bottle and the store I bought it from attached the first stage of a regulator on it with a hose and adapter for an air chuck. The only porblem is you have to be SCUBA certified to buy the bottle and have it filled when needed. The advantage of the electrical pump is you don't have to worry about filling it and it will be cheaper. The good thing about the air bottle is you don't have to worry about a power source. I also think this post is about twice as long as I intended it to be
Cheers, Elliot
Scott S
I used a narrow 356/912 wheel and had a donut type tire put on at a local shop - it is not collapsable. I wanted to know that it would work when I needed it to. Tire shops replace donuts with full size spares all the time and will usually have a few lying around. I only had to pay for dismounting and mounting (under 20 bucks).
neo914-6
I got a used 911 space saver for $50 many years ago and it leaked when I recently tried to inflate it. I haven't found any new collapsible tires so make sure the one you find holds air. Also make sure your cigarette lighter works so you can use the compressor. I found one that held air and realized it's diameter was taller than my 50 series. I plan to install a regular tire on it that matches the diameter of the tires I'm running. Felix
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.