Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need some help - fuel leak!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
potomacmidget
Hi All,

Tonight I reinstalled my repaired speedometer,then the steering wheel and fired up the car after a few weeks of no action. Car cranked for longer than usual then started and ran well. I then thought that I smelled gas, turned my light on and looked in the engine bay and found the driver side injector towards the back of the car (sorry, yes I should know what cylinder that is...) leaking fuel. I can't tell if it is leaking from the hose connection or the injector itself, but it was building up quite a puddle so I killed the engine and mopped up the fuel and have a fan blowing the fumes out of the garage. sad.gif

Can you tell me the proper way to diagnose the issue? I am assuming the better scenario is a loose hose connection. I have not pulled an injector before - I do have a Haynes manual. I have what appears to be the fuel lines with the braided cover - they appear to be in ok shape visually (but maybe not...) Any advice appreciated! Don't know the diameter of the fuel lines - perhaps a trip flaps is in order?

thanks
Reg
underthetire
If they are still braided lines with the crimp style clamps, probably the line. Injectors are simple to pull. The hard part is cutting the crimp end off. A dremmel works good there.
Dave_Darling
The fuel lines go over 7mm fittings. The original lines are curved; straight ones can be substituted. The original lines used crimp-on clamps on the injector end, and "fuel injector hose clamps" on the fuel rail end. (They can't cut into the hose; that's important when dealing with high pressure fuse. Don't use regular worm-gear hose clamps.)

One M6 nut (10mm socket) holds on the metal retainer of the injector. Remove the nut, pull off the retainer, pull the injector out. Loosen the hose clamp at the fuel rail end of the line, slide the line off the rail. The fitting on the fuel rail has a bubble flare near the end, so it can be a little tough to slide the hose off.

The hoses can get brittle and split or (occasionally) be abraded by something in the area. The other popular spot for a leak is between the plastic and metal parts of the injector. If that is your leak, replace the injector.

--DD
Prospectfarms
Click to view attachment

The injector (#34, below) comes with its own hose that connects with the fuel rail

Click to view attachment

The two connections of the injector hose can leak. You can easily get your hand down to the driver side injectors to check the hose clamp. Make sure its snug. That little hose can also split, and as the other's said, the injector body itself leaks.

No one would recommend you check for the leak while the engine is running, but I've done it. You could start a fire though, so don't let the car run long.Where's your fire extinguisher.

If you need to replace the injector hose, that's easy. Get some 5/16" fuel injection hose. It's expensive. Like Dave said you'll need to detach the hose from the fuel rail and loosen the plate that holds the injectors. The injector electrical plug-in terminal is press fit.

Once the injector is in-hand, the ferrule that secures the hose to the injector can be removed by various means. I run a hacksaw diagonally down the length of the ferrule a few times then use tin snips of pliers to pry/tear it off. There's a nipple to re-attach the new section of hose. Clamp it with a FI hose clamp then push the injector back into the little hole from whence it came.

Good chance the little seal is no good, so get some of those, along with the larger rubber grommet that holds the injector to that metal plate.
potomacmidget
QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Mar 7 2012, 11:46 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The injector (#34, below) comes with its own hose that connects with the fuel rail

Click to view attachment

The two connections of the injector hose can leak. You can easily get your hand down to the driver side injectors to check the hose clamp. Make sure its snug. That little hose can also split, and as the other's said, the injector body itself leaks.

No one would recommend you check for the leak while the engine is running, but I've done it. You could start a fire though, so don't let the car run long.Where's your fire extinguisher.

If you need to replace the injector hose, that's easy. Get some 5/16" fuel injection hose. It's expensive. Like Dave said you'll need to detach the hose from the fuel rail and loosen the plate that holds the injectors. The injector electrical plug-in terminal is press fit.

Once the injector is in-hand, the ferrule that secures the hose to the injector can be removed by various means. I run a hacksaw diagonally down the length of the ferrule a few times then use tin snips of pliers to pry/tear it off. There's a nipple to re-attach the new section of hose. Clamp it with a FI hose clamp then push the injector back into the little hole from whence it came.

Good chance the little seal is no good, so get some of those, along with the larger rubber grommet that holds the injector to that metal plate.

Dave, Jeff and Stuart - thank you very much for the detailed replies - does not look so scary now. Looks like I have my Saturday morning planned out. I may end up asking for more help - thanks again, I really appreciate it!
Reg
Tom
If you end up replacing the fuel hose, make sure to use the good stuff. I believe it is 30R9. Someone correct me if there is new/better hose out there.
Tom
rwilner
Chris Foley sells a kit that gives you enough of the correctly-sized 30R9 and the correctly-sized stainless high pressure fuel hose clamps to do the entire engine bay. It's pretty short $$.

How old is your hose? If you have one leak...better safe than sorry on this one methinks.

Just a recommendation from a satisfied customer.
76-914
They're all the same age so replace all of them. In fact, this is the time to replace ALL fuel lines (yes the ones beneath the tank, too) and vac lines, if you haven't already. These aire cooled engines lite off quickly and burn even faster. blowup.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Have someone turn the ignition to activate the fuel pump while you are looking directly at the injector with a good light. If the leak does not appear, have him start it. The leak will show itself quickly and you will then know from where it came. Have your "helper" quickly shut it down. Do it outside and have an extinguisher ready.

Fuel line can be had in 7mm or 5/16" at napa, and they also have the proper fuel injecton clamps.
potomacmidget
Good evening All,

Thanks for all the input - it is much appreciated. It turns out after pulling things apart and reassembling the hose clamp at the injector (the crimped connector is long gone) was loose. After an inspection of the hose and reinstall of the hose clamp no leak! Even got to drive it to work today with the targa off! Thanks again for all the advice and guidance!

Reg
markyb
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 8 2012, 10:56 AM) *

They're all the same age so replace all of them. In fact, this is the time to replace ALL fuel lines (yes the ones beneath the tank, too) and vac lines, if you haven't already. These aire cooled engines lite off quickly and burn even faster. blowup.gif

A split hose will put some fuel on the ground VERY quickly. A few weeks ago I had an injector hose split,and after being only a few blocks from home I pumped half of a full tank of gas on the street. It was a miracle that it didn't ignite
JawjaPorsche
Awesome! I have gotten many wonderful input to my questions on this forum. Don't be a stranger! Now drive your teener like you stole it!
QUOTE(potomacmidget @ Mar 12 2012, 08:21 PM) *

Good evening All,

Thanks for all the input - it is much appreciated. It turns out after pulling things apart and reassembling the hose clamp at the injector (the crimped connector is long gone) was loose. After an inspection of the hose and reinstall of the hose clamp no leak! Even got to drive it to work today with the targa off! Thanks again for all the advice and guidance!

Reg

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.