Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs break ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SchwarzHorse
And it's for sale too - read the description yikes.gif :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-FUCH-FUCHS...a2e&vxp=mtr

Mark Henry
Hit a curb hard and they will crack, my buddy has one he uses as a garden hose reel.
If the price was right and I was in the market I'd still want the cracked one, just to use it for a hose reel as it looks fuching cool.
Mike Bellis
Saw it one time at Parts Heaven. Guy brought his broken Fuchs in to match up an offset for another one.

larryM
'way too much dinero - i have bought em for much less
sean_v8_914
real forged fuch should bend before it breaks
Mark Henry

I did a quick search and it seems the most likely culprit for real fuchs cracking are ones that have been chromed. Thinking about my freinds "hose reel" fuch it is real shiny pretty, I'll try to check next time but I'm thinking it must be chromed.

I found this post on the bird:

C&P, post by 911/914gary:

OK… I work in the aircraft industry as a landing gear engineer. I work with a lot of exotic metals and plating processes. Here is the scoop on chrome plating and some basic facts on chrome. First, chrome does not change the base metal materiel properties such as material strength. It does reduce the material "fatigue life". Which means it won't last as long under sever loading and cracks. To reduce this effect we typically shot peen the surfaces to be chromed. This puts in a compressive layer on the surface that retards surface cracking (on the uncaoted substrate). Cracking can be induced from the second fact that chrome is porous. On the surface chrome has many microscopic cracks. Some of these cracks can go straight through to the base material. Thus the base material must be undercoated to protect it from corrosion. For aluminum parts we typically undercoat with copper or nickel. Finally the way chrome plates over edges or in fillets could create "stress risers". Thus the chrome must be masked or ground to a tapered or blended runout. So, why do we use chrome if it so difficult to work with? Chrome provides a hard protective working surface. On landing gears this is particular to dynamic or static sealed surfaces for hydraulics, under bushings and on static & dynamic pins & joints. Typically chrome on automotive wheels is for cosmetic purposes and probably does not have these extra processes. However, I'm sure these wheels are over designed for street use by the Porsche engineers. The probable cause of most of these wheel failures is stress corrosion failure initiated by a pit or crack through the chrome. If the wheels are chromed they should probably be surface clear coated to protect them from corrosion immediately after plating. Once corrosion begins there is no way to stop it. And the only way to check for corrosion is to strip the chrome. I probably would not use chrome plated wheels for the track.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(SchwarzHorse @ Mar 7 2012, 08:29 PM) *

And it's for sale too - read the description yikes.gif :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-FUCH-FUCHS...a2e&vxp=mtr

I've heard that previously straightened wheels are prone to cracking.
I has a pair of (pretty rare) 15x7 R wheels that I bought refinished / repaired. I discovered fine cracks in one.
Matt Romanowski
Real Fuchs have been cracking for the last 30 years. Any wheel will crack and should be checked. Remember, most wheels we are using are around 40 years old at this point. How many heat and stress cycles is that?

Oh, it has nothing to do with polishing, straightning, anodizing or anything else. They usually crack near the lug nut holes.
Socalandy
it can be fixed, welded front and back but if it took a hit then it will need truing to. Al Reed add's $50 for welding and another $50 to true the wheel.

a bit high knowing you have one to fix or replace screwy.gif
02loftsmoor
weld a wheel no way and it's on a web high load area
dlee6204
Here is a picture of a crack on a 4-lug Fuchs that was posted over on the club site.

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
This is what Betty and I did with a cracked Fuchs wheel off her car...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.