Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transaxle Gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewvolsen
I have a sideshift trans from a '73 2.0 car that I am planning on rebuilding. I want to order gaskets/seals ahead of time so I have them on hand. Does anyone have any experience with a seal set like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMC-325-43006-040-...#ht_1270wt_1163

Would anyone reccomend somewhere else to buy these seals or a specific brand to look for?

Andrew
AZ914
I bought my set from Pelican.. about $10 cheaper than the ebay ad. You could also try GPR.
Tom_T
agree.gif
... and stick with the true OEM German makers & Porsche parts for it IMHO - even if more costly - it's a lot less $$s than fixing transaxle damage!

PS - get the transaxle rebuild DVD too from Dr. Evil who is a member on here, if he has any left, or borrow one from a local on here.
Bartlett 914
I agree with buying from Pelican and GPR however: The least several sets I have seen from Elring have a problem with the different thickness gaskets required to shim the stack. You need different thickness gaskets for proper pinion depth settings. The sets I have seen have three .25 mm gaskets there should be a .10 a .15 and .25 gaskets. I do not know what this guy has. his shipping is free. That helps
Dr Evil
GPR and your regular vendors are the best. The new sets only come with .25 gaskets because you dont need to be as exact as you did when these boxes were new wink.gif You will not get a whine or other issue by using the offerings from El Ring biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reference, Tom T.
slothness
You might want to check here with Jon, he was offering the elring kit at a great price. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=168048

The kit I just bought only contained 0.10 gaskets
Dr Evil
Mark, metric or standard wink.gif .25mm, .10"
slothness
Oops, three standard .10" gaskets in the el ring kit.
hwgunner
QUOTE(slothness @ Mar 8 2012, 02:41 PM) *

You might want to check here with Jon, he was offering the elring kit at a great price. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=168048

The kit I just bought only contained 0.10 gaskets

Thank you!

jonathan
hwgunner
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 8 2012, 04:42 PM) *

Hi Jonathon.
Metric. I see that others have posted seeing only .10mm gaskets. Looks like a problem with the packaging from elring.

A proper transmission repair is expensive. Changing this dimension is not something I would care to play with and risk having either noise or differential damage.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 9 2012, 08:36 AM) *

Hi Jonathon.
Metric. I see that others have posted seeing only .10mm gaskets. Looks like a problem with the packaging from elring.

A proper transmission repair is expensive. Changing this dimension is not something I would care to play with and risk having either noise or differential damage.

Well,it depends on your definition of "proper". If that means expensive, then yes. However, a "proper" transmission rebuild IMHO does not need to be expensive and the gaskets need not be angstrom exact. Parts are not new anymore and the tolerance of them is in keeping with what is offered by elring in their kits. But, WTF do I know, I only do this all the time with great results for low cost, i.e. not "proper".
hwgunner
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 9 2012, 05:36 AM) *

Hi Jonathon.

I have sent an email to my sales guy to see what he finds out. In the mean time I also sell the Wrightwood Racing Kit which is put together with all German imported gaskets and does include 3 different sizes. they are different colors if i remember correctly. If you want one of those they are $50.00 and it will take me about a week to get. Have to order more.

jonathan
hwgunner
Dr Evil
Now that is service! smile.gif first.gif
McMark
In the mean time I also sell the Wrightwood Racing Kit which is put together with all German imported gaskets and does include 3 different sizes. they are different colors if i remember correctly. If you want one of those they are $50.00 and it will take me about a week to get. Have to order more.

This is good to know. thumb3d.gif
arty914
Hi Andrew,

I don't know your skill level, but I would highly recommend Dr. Evil's video. I rebuilt my tranny a couple of years ago and the video was a BIG help. Thanks again Dr.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.