Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this muffler repairable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Repair suggestions? Will this leak gas from this area if used as is till I find a replacement? I'm not sure how these are constructed. Guess the metal was thin there when they went to sandblast it sad.gif If anyone has a good one to sell, please let me know.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Drums66
......Try brazing it with brass....seen them repaired that way idea.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif(but....may be too thin?)
tod914
Thanks, I'll see if I can get a shop recommendation in NNJ that does that...
Tom_T
Tod - knowing the perfectionist that you are, I'm assuming that you'll hunt down a nice NOS one or get a new OES Dansk on for the Froggy

So save yourself the time, $ & hassle IMHO, and just get some/roll of aluminum muffler/exhaust repair tape at the FLAPS to seal them temporarily while you search - IF you're driving it at all, or just let it sit unassembled if you're not, until you get a good muffler.
tod914
This light resto/bringing out of hibernation is killing me $$$... Just want to get this car on the road!
gothspeed
Sell it to me! smile.gif
tod914
The muffler or the car lol.
gothspeed
the muffler ........... I will be doing dyno tests on the stock 2.0 muffler vs stock 911 muffler vs custom muffler ....... smile.gif
tod914
Nice project! I'll be in contact with the coater tomorrow, and see if he can determine if it's patchable. I'll let you know. Either way, at some point, it will be replaced.

Thanks, Tod
Prospectfarms
Are you doing the repair or taking it to someone? If the latter, they will tell you if they think it's worth trying. The problem would be burn-through of sheet metal. Like patching a pressure tank, all depends on how much corrosion on the other side and/or the thickness of the remaining metal around the holes. The holes under the bracket also look like they might be hard to get to. It will either weld or it won't, and every welder I've worked with won't charge you if he can't.
tod914
Thanks Stuart. I'm waiting to hear from the guy. Is it my imagination or does it look like the muffler by the flange was smacked with a hammer and phillips screwdriver to create those depressions? I know it was smooth going into the shop. More noticable on the bottom picture.
Prospectfarms
That stinks. Those marks look like they line up straight. What "shop?" Mechanic or sandblaster? Maybe clamping marks for sandblaster/paint. Maybe someone was having a bad day.
tod914
PC shop Stuart. Bad day.. my thoughts exactly. I'll pick it up next week and see what the deal is on it.
Bartlett 914
I had identical damage to mine. I made oversize patches to cover the holes and welded them in. Temporary at best.
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 10 2012, 08:55 AM) *

...Temporary at best.

Maybe not? I've mig welded good patches on leaking pressure vessels* to get the weld onto good metal. Fluxcore, lap weld. Dragged the tip. As they say for airtight welds, don't stop. If you stop, grind the fillet to get rid of any contamination.

*Don't weld air compressor tanks. It's dangerous. Thin metal, high pressure.
dcheek
Tod,
Any resto shop should be able to weld a patch in. It won't look perfect but you can get the car on the road. After the repair just paint it with gray VHT paint. Cure by running the engine a little bit. It will look fine until you find an NOS one.

Dave
tod914
Dave found a NOS one on Ebay. That's being shipped directly to the Cerekote shop in Keyport. At least the finish on everything will be consistant. I may or may not hit everything with the VHT. I should be ok without it. Did you end up winning that one on Ebay for your car?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.