Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch tube failure.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PancakePorsche
Hello guys.
This morning leaving the garage I depressed clutch pedal and heard a snap. Pedal now feels spongy and clutch does not disengage. I prayed it was only the cable but when removed looks fine. I suspect the dreaded clutch tube failure.

My question is how can you tell before cutting up the tunnel. And how do you fix it if it broke loose. I will need to know were exactly to cut in to get to the right spots. Appreciate the advise.
Jeffs9146
Check the cable first!!!! blink.gif
PancakePorsche
Cable is perfect, already checked.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Mar 8 2012, 08:22 PM) *

Cable is perfect, already checked.

Bummer! I have done this repair and it can be tricky! There are a few threads telling you exactly where to drill so you can weld it back inside the tunnel but the back can be a bear!

Make sure you fix it before it tears the back fire wall and you can just re weld the spot welds along the tunnel! I will try to find a thread that shows how to do it!

Found it!

One of the repair links!
PancakePorsche
Found the procedure when I Googled it. I'm going in !!! sawzall-smiley.gif
SGB
QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Mar 8 2012, 11:17 PM) *

I'm going in !!! sawzall-smiley.gif

Haha.
Dave_Darling
Pull up the shifter boot and look through the hole in the shift lever base. Or unbolt the heater lever and look through that hole. If the cable moves side to side when you push the pedal, the tube is broken.

You can also look at where the tube exits the firewall. If you see it moving there when the pedal is pressed, or if you see it broken loose, it's broken.

--DD
sean_v8_914
no cutting required...
this only works if the fire wall is still OK AND the hanging bracket in teh tunnel between teh seats must also be OK

small sturdy "L" bracket must be down in the rib
gothspeed
^^ nice fix smile.gif!!

to the OP if you don't have access to a welder and the tube is still secure at the rear ..... you may try one of these;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Emerge...d58&vxp=mtr

does anyone know what those extra spade connectors are for on Sean V8's picture above??? Are they for center console gauges??
Steve
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 9 2012, 06:26 AM) *

^^ nice fix smile.gif!!

to the OP if you don't have access to a welder and the tube is still secure at the rear ..... you may try one of these;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Emerge...d58&vxp=mtr

does anyone know what those extra spade connectors are for on Sean V8's picture above??? Are they for center console gauges??

They should be for the center console. I have the same one's on my 75.
gothspeed
^^^ Cool Thanks beerchug.gif !!! I will try to utilize them when I retro fit a console/gauges on my 1973 smile.gif
PancakePorsche
Thanks to Dave Darlings check procedure, I eliminated the tube as problem. After pulling tranny I discovered a failed pressure plate (6 months old) WTF.

I am stoked I don't have to cut anything. piratenanner.gif Thanks to all who replied.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.