Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 76 914 2.0L HP?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davidcalvin
There is a 914 for sale on evilbay. The ad says its a 76 2L and that the HP rating is 95?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2489744200

Is that true? Seems kind of low for a.. well.. sports car?

What gives? :-)
SLITS
Yes, and since it is a smog motor, I believe it is less than that.

In the 60s thru 70's, the production sportscars had horsepower ranges of 50 - 125 for the most part. They weren't ground pounders.

Technology for engines has progressed greatly since then and the small engines are capable of some impressive HP figures.
phantom914
Back then, 'sports car' meant light and nimble, as opposed to 'muscle car' which meant lots o' power, but don't expect to turn.

Andrew
JoeSharpOld
Sports cars only have 2 seats.
Joe
3d914
David,

Slits is right, it was actually less for the 75-76 model by about 5-10 HP due to all the smog stuff. And that HP reading is at the flywheel, not the back wheels. Subtract another 20-25%.

The thing to remember though is that is doesn't have to stay that way. There are some very reasonable things that a shade-tree mech can do to increase that by 25-50%. A lot depends on what you want to do with the car.

I have a comfortable daily driver (w/AC even) with a WEB#73 cam, Euro pistons (higher compression), and MegaSquirt FI controller (DIY kit). The result is a very fun-to-drive car with 95 HP at the rear wheels.

If you want more than just fun, then you have a myriad of choices, from a 160-200hp beast motor from Jake Raby, to 300+hp from a V8 - the choice is yours.

What ever direction you take, if done right, you'll enjoy it every time you're behind the wheel.
Allan
A yellow one would be slightly faster. boldblue.gif
Chris H.
agree.gif Yes the yellow ones are faster.

I think the Porsche manual listed the later 2.0's at 88 HP. Wheeeeeeeeeeee! Still a helluva lot of fun though ain't they ?
sanman
how much hp does a yellow paint job add
and if it is already yellow is a repaint like a tune up
just a little something to make you go Humm biggrin.gif
Britain Smith
You should try a 1.7L...now that is some serious horsepower baby!!

-Britain (Proud 1.7L owner)
tracks914
Yellow ones don't have more HP...they're just faster!!! driving.gif
phantom914
Has anybody tried painting just the engine yellow? Does that have the same effect?

Andrew
Allan
From what I have seen, plus from my own interest, horse power is not the reason people have 914's. It's more a matter of insanity lol2.gif . I have always loved the 914, even when I could see them new on the showroom floor. I have a '76 2.0 that maybe puts out 60 rear wheel horse, but when you tie it together with the car and all of its little quirks it is well worth it if you "LOVE" 914's. IMHO
brant
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Sep 17 2004, 02:42 PM)
You should try a 1.7L...now that is some serious horsepower baby!!

-Britain (Proud 1.7L owner)

I'm with ya Britian...

but how about this:
my 1.7 is stock, tired, smokey, and bound to be down a bit on compression...

to top that off I live at 6000 feet, which is something like another 15% loss of HP for altitude...

and to top that off, I've lost first gear so I'm doing 2nd gear starts with the car....

I'm guessing 55hp to the rear wheels...
and yet, I drive it to work everyday it runs because it is so much more fun than my more powerful reliable car.
brant
scruz914
It's not about the horsepower. It's about the handling. Try it, you'll like it!

-Jeff
SLITS
It's about imported beer budget finger lifting as opposed to.................................,
bob91403
I agree, it will still go around a corner faster than a 911. Try doing a right hand turn at fifty in a 911 and you'll watch your own taillights pass you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.