Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two questions: shifting and rockers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
unpolire
The single most frustrating portion of early 914 ownership has to be the shifting. I had a 1971 914 that I replaced every shift bushing on, and the clutch cable, and it was still a challenge. My 928 with the same pattern was SO much easier! My 1972 914 with a professionally replaced new rear bushing is virtually undriveable, as 9 times out of 10 I get 2nd gear when going for reverse. Is it possible to get PERFECT shifting in a side-shift 914? I am willing to replace any and all parts necessary for positive shifting to get the gear I want when I want it.

Second question regards 914 rocker cover attachment: were they all riveted by the factory?
Tom
Yes, rennshifter by Jwest. Although that is not going to be original.
Tom
unpolire
Understood. So everyone with an original 914-6 and early 914 just suffers with the inaccurate shifting? Since I never drove one new, it will be interesting to hear our Moderator's answer as an original owner.

QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 9 2012, 09:57 AM) *

Tom

unpolire
Sorry, I meant "tail shift" cars!

QUOTE(unpolire @ Mar 9 2012, 11:17 AM) *

Understood. So everyone with an original 914-6 and early 914 just suffers with the inaccurate shifting? Since I never drove one new, it will be interesting to hear our Moderator's answer as an original owner.

QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 9 2012, 09:57 AM) *

Tom

Jasfsmith
With new bushings front to back and 'proper' attention to adjustment adjustment in rod length and "twist" at the connection located between the seats, shifting should be acceptable. It will never meet the level of the side shifter transmission or those of other cars with a more direct linkage, but you should not be hitting reverse on a 1 to 2 shift.

One spot that should be inspected is the tail rod to transmission joint. I've seen wear on several early 914's that adds to the "loose" feeling during shifting at that location. Seems I saw a thread about it somewhere here on the website.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(unpolire @ Mar 9 2012, 07:26 AM) *

Second question regards 914 rocker cover attachment: were they all riveted by the factory?

Yes, they were all riveted by the factory. Your early 914s (yours) were fastened with milky white rivets.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 9 2012, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(unpolire @ Mar 9 2012, 07:26 AM) *

Yes, they were all riveted by the factory. Your early 914s (yours) were fastened with milky white rivets.

Paul

I might add that the whites are long time NLA. The last "extras" that I had went bye-bye about a year ago. Still have a complete set, plus spares for my 72 but I'm hoarding them so I can remove them & clean behind the rocker covers one more time.

Maybe Mikey should put them on his to-do list?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.