Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Effutuo build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
effutuo101
dry.gif
So, last year I picked up Ugmo. After a short stint, Rich D. came up with this car. As it already had a lot of what I wanted to do to my ride, I talked to Rich and we traded off Ugmo.
Let the cutting and welding begin.
We would need:
new floors welded in
cut off the remaining fenders
GT kit welded in
Media blast
primer

The eventual build would have
Fiberglass fenders, hoods, rear bumper
suby motor
Low maintenance
easy for the wiffy to drive
Lets begin
effutuo101
so, the work began with the car on the rotisserie.
effutuo101
more glass fitting
effutuo101
continue
effutuo101
and more
effutuo101
more
effutuo101
floor pans finally welded in. Car was media blasted and transferred to my garage.
Jon Bovey came over and helped shoot the primer.
effutuo101
finish fitting fenders
effutuo101
you can fit two 914's in a single car garage...with stacking
effutuo101
had to pack in the project for a few months due to other work, but, after a short break, I am back at it! time for some cold air.
effutuo101
the new 914 hover craft.. and a quick trip to the Sci fi exhibit.
effutuo101
ok, back to work... test fit....lots of stuff...
effutuo101
Rich doing more welding...

oh, I need more air...for the rear brakes
effutuo101
ok, maybe too much...naw... I need more air!
effutuo101
Lizard skin going in.
effutuo101
and some more...
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif It's getting close
effutuo101
lizard skin...check..
i should clean my phone lense
effutuo101
ok, one more then back to work.
color selection process. Wiffy voted for the stock Blue...
and here is my motor. 2.5l turbo suby
effutuo101
so, I decided I could lose some more weight. I am redoing my side intakes and going to punch out my hood hinges and cut off any necessary metal.
Next.
Finish new side intakes
Hood pins
fit rear bumper... should be here today!
put doors back on for final fit
prep air dam for special projects
final body work
sand...
Maybe more, who knows..

RiqueMar
I'm not a fan of side air intakes, but that's looking awesome!

Love that blue, too! wub.gif

Keep it up! beerchug.gif
effutuo101
Stitch...Mostly evil...
gothspeed
Wow smile.gif!!! Does the lizard skin need carpet or paint to protect it? or is it robust enough to stand on its own?

I am considering second skin audio butyl mats or bedliner with carpet over it or something like this lizard skin.

Your experience will be much appreciated! smile.gif
jim_hoyland
Looking good ! smile.gif Thanks for shaing. I like the side air intakes. The aftermarket convertible 914s had those, they located aft the door handle, IIRC
effutuo101
The final texture is just like rhino lining. I am sure it would stand up. But, the nice thing is you can paint right over it. I will probably add some sound material to the low spots just to even out the floor as well as the back panel.
There are 4 layers on the fire wall. Two sound and two heat on each side. Only two layers of sound and heat on the floor.
my rear bumper just arrived. But, I have to go do some work downtown. Maybe a mock up later today...
effutuo101
@ Jim, yes, I almost did the same. But, given the size, I had to drop them down a bit. They have 3 inch intakes behind them. Same with the NACAducts. The brake intake are 2 inch.
effutuo101
And now my doors are back from the sand blasters. primer and seal as well....
Ferg
Wow, Cool! w00t.gif
gothspeed
Thanks for the info effutuo101 smile.gif!! I think I will put some deadener mats on the big flat spots, go over everything (including the mats) with that lizard skin then paint it black.

You are doing a great job man!!!! beerchug.gif
effutuo101
@ Ferg! pray.gif
any new projects?
@ goth. spray lizard skin first. then put on matting. it must be sprayed on primer or paint. Jeggs has it cheap. the gun is really cheap. Also, for what you are doing, you might want to find somebody to go in with you and share the product. It comes in 2 gallon containers.
audio_file
Looking great man! If you need an extra pair of hands for anything, shoot me a pm, I'm close!
beerchug.gif
the other Chris in Everett...
jcambo7
Sweet! Finally! poke.gif piratenanner.gif popcorn[1].gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Mar 9 2012, 10:38 AM) *

@ goth. spray lizard skin first. then put on matting. it must be sprayed on primer or paint. Jeggs has it cheap. the gun is really cheap. Also, for what you are doing, you might want to find somebody to go in with you and share the product. It comes in 2 gallon containers.

Ok so the lizard skin must go on pretty smooth then? ........ if so, what you recommend sounds like a good aproach ..... the deadener mat I will be using is the damplifier pro ................ thanks man!! beerchug.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Mar 9 2012, 11:38 AM) *

@ Ferg! pray.gif
any new projects?

No projects, just watching you guys hammer out some sweet 914's. I'll buy one soon enough...

Ferg
effutuo101
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 9 2012, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Mar 9 2012, 10:38 AM) *

Ok so the lizard skin must go on pretty smooth then? ........ if so, what you recommend sounds like a good aproach ..... the deadener mat I will be using is the damplifier pro ................ thanks man!! beerchug.gif

Not really. It depends on how you adjust the fun. It goes on a lot like Rhino with a serious texture. Not smooth like paint. More like a textured wall in your house.
mrbubblehead
nice work chris, how did you attach the fiberglass to the steel? i see the clecoes, but i asume those are for alingment of the panels...
Socalandy
Very cool
effutuo101
There is an adhesive that has to go on bare metal and the fiberglass. I will ping Jon for the name. Once set it has to be ground off. It has a dual piston calking gun that mixes the chemicals as you pump the trigger
PeeGreen 914
I don't recall what it's called. One of my good friends that runs an autobody supply shop told us what to use for this.
Gint
That's killer Chris! How ya doin?
westtexass2k
Your car is looking good. It looks like my car has the same fenders that you are using. I didnt install them but car had them on it when I bought it. What size wheels are you going with? Look forward to the finsih product.

I used Lizard skin on Lotus 7 replica and it works great. It is fairly durable as well. Its nothing like bed liner material as far as abraision resistance but should work great where you applied it. I was going to use the Lizard on my project as well since I have it left over from the Ultralite. It defenitely kills the noise. it will drive like a new car.

I think Panel Bond Adhesive is what you are talking about. It is seriously strong stuff. We bonded a couple a 16g pieces together to test it and put it in a frame machine and pulled it. The metal tore but not at the bond.
effutuo101
Hiyas Gint! Good! Busy. How is Shar? Hope all is good on the snowy front.
mrbubblehead
thanks for the info on the panel bond.....did you take any detail photos of the attaching?
effutuo101
I didn't. But, once you have everything fitted up, you lay the adhesive on both sides, clecko back into place and wait. in about 8 hours, you won't be able to get it off. Pretty neat stuff.
If somebody hits the fender, it will be me with a grinding wheel to get the material off and replace the fender with the same process.
raw1298
I used the same stuff on my flares. Works great and easy to use. It seals the metal too, that is why I used it.
jcambo7
drooley.gif Need more pics... poke.gif biggrin.gif
effutuo101
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Mar 10 2012, 06:53 PM) *

I used the same stuff on my flares. Works great and easy to use. It seals the metal too, that is why I used it.

yes, that stuff is really good.

I built lighter intakes this morning...more glass work to do on the fenders now. but, in all I lost some weight, so a plus on that.
effutuo101
Refitting intakes yesterday. Just a couple of minor modifications and then ready for final prep on rear and front fenders.
To do:
sand 2-3 mm off of rear deck for correct fit by lights
measure and drill rivet holes for side intakes
finish primer of doors and front bumper
final fit of rocker covers

later this week.
install hood pin mech
fit mirrors and prep
door handle check and prep
Media blast eyebrows, headlight covers and primer
Media blast intake and paint
Paint headlight brackets and misc parts

Next week
final prep and paint of NACA ducts and intakes
paint mirrors
So much to do!
jcambo7
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Mar 13 2012, 11:15 AM) *

Refitting intakes yesterday. Just a couple of minor modifications and then ready for final prep on rear and front fenders.
To do:
Take ton's of pictures
Post them on 914world

sand 2-3 mm off of rear deck for correct fit by lights
measure and drill rivet holes for side intakes
finish primer of doors and front bumper
final fit of rocker covers

later this week.
install hood pin mech
fit mirrors and prep
door handle check and prep
Media blast eyebrows, headlight covers and primer
Media blast intake and paint
Paint headlight brackets and misc parts

Next week
final prep and paint of NACA ducts and intakes
paint mirrors
So much to do!

Their that looks better. I fixed your to do list. poke.gif

bye1.gif
effutuo101
Rear deck fitted, naca ducts finalizes, roof 99.9% ready, 916 bumper very close to being complete. Mor pics tomorrow James, I promiseT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.