Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 930 diff flip pictures requested.......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlee1967
Before the flamers get started...YES, I have searched and searched.....even on the Lambo Lounge and GT40 forums.

I am interested in any pictures of the case machining and welding required when flipping the differential on an early (short) 930 transaxle for fitment in a 914. A shot of the inside of the bellhousing to show the added kick out for the ring gear on the other side is what I am most interested in as the 930 pressure plate comes in pretty deep and care must be taken to make sure you don't have any contact by making the kick out too high.

The electronic speedo sender is a bit of a no brainer, but please post what you have.

I am aware of setting the backlash and how critical this is in providing long life of the gearbox. No need to rehash this.

I am aware of the shops that provide this service and what they charge.

I am aware of the technique for inverting the box, but want to maintain a full trunk on a street car and don't care to add a spray bar system in the box.

Thank you.
pdlightning
QUOTE(dlee1967 @ Mar 9 2012, 02:57 PM) *

Before the flamers get started...YES, I have searched and searched.....even on the Lambo Lounge and GT40 forums.

I am interested in any pictures of the case machining and welding required when flipping the differential on an early (short) 930 transaxle for fitment in a 914. A shot of the inside of the bellhousing to show the added kick out for the ring gear on the other side is what I am most interested in as the 930 pressure plate comes in pretty deep and care must be taken to make sure you don't have any contact by making the kick out too high.

The electronic speedo sender is a bit of a no brainer, but please post what you have.

I am aware of setting the backlash and how critical this is in providing long life of the gearbox. No need to rehash this.

I am aware of the shops that provide this service and what they charge.

I am aware of the technique for inverting the box, but want to maintain a full trunk on a street car and don't care to add a spray bar system in the box.

Thank you.

Good set of questions. I am doing the same to a LS1/ 915 box with a 3:10 R/P and will learn from the post, Thanks
dlee1967
Bueller......Bueller... er.....Bueller

idea.gif
pcar916
Not sure why this would bring on flames but good luck!
Richard Casto
I am interested as well and subscribed to this thread shortly after your first post. However, I am suspecting that most who have actually done this may consider the "how to do this" to be proprietary information and may not be likely to share for fear of loosing business.

Richard
McMark
I thought I had pics to share, but I can't find them. sad.gif
McMark
Well, I guess I just needed to look again. This wasn't my project, I just took pics. Some DAPO had tried to solve the issue with epoxy/JBWeld. It didn't work. rolleyes.gif

This got welded up in the bellhousing area.
dlee1967
Geeze Mark....that sure is ugly. After the DAPO butcher job it is a wonder you wanted to touch it. After you welded up the mess in the bell housing was any material taken off the ring gear or the selector shaft?

Thanks for the pics. These should be the "how not to flip your 930 diff".

David Lee
GeorgeRud
As Vellios made a conversion kit for the 930 trans, there must be a way to flip the Ring gear without destroying the case. Perhaps they do need to be welded up to get enough material to machine the clearance for the ring gear! I don't believe there's any more than just a slight clearancing needed on the 915 gearboxes, but that doesn't help you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.