Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Calling Scotty - How much would it cost to fix this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
This was the last thing that I needed to see right before taxes are due...

996 Targa 4S
bulitt
Salvage Title.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 9 2012, 05:26 PM) *

Salvage Title.

I would buy it to drive it, not sell it. Hell, I wouldn't be ashamed to drive it the way it is after fixing the mirror and window.
bulitt
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 9 2012, 08:30 PM) *

Salvage Title.

I would buy it to drive it, not sell it. Hell, I wouldn't be ashamed to drive it the way it is after fixing the mirror and window.

Just wanted to make sure you saw it.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 9 2012, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 9 2012, 08:30 PM) *

Salvage Title.

Just wanted to make sure you saw it.

Yep, I did see that, and it makes me wonder if there might be suspension/unibody damage. I can't see how there would be from the photos. However, it looks like it might have been rolled, and I suppose bad things could have happened when it landed.
Andyrew
IPB Image

Money shot...

However there are a couple of ways of going about fixing it... The Mayco way, then the real way...

The real way? 15-20k.. If not more.
New fenders, new front bumper, new doors, new glass, then the bodywork...

Mayco way.. "We could fix that for 3k!" Shitloads of bondo, and a new bumper skin (if they couldnt plastic fix it).

If you want it and the suspension and drivetrain check out... Get your hands wet and learn bodywork. Fix it slowly yourself and be proud of the work you have done and the mistakes you made.

If you scored the fenders and doors from a salvage yard, you probably have a months worth of hammer and dolly work plus a gallon of bondo to fix the rear.. Some plastic welding on the front bumper, and then about $800 in materials to paint, or 500 if you went with an off the shelf non waterbased color.

Andyrew
Oh and the targa roof not being closed all the way is bothersome...

How much is a good one worth anyways?
balljoint
Give Scotty a call. This can be done.
scotty b
If you can verify that the roof and windows work and fit properly I would say the low side would be 5K. It will need a full repaint. If the roof and windows are out of place you're looking at frame time at 8+ finished sad.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 9 2012, 05:42 PM) *

If you want it and the suspension and drivetrain check out... Get your hands wet and learn bodywork. Fix it slowly yourself and be proud of the work you have done and the mistakes you made.

That is probably the only way I would really want to do it. And, yes - the top not closing fully could be very bad.

I am not really seriously considering this, as I don't have the cash right now, and I like being married. However, I don't see how someone could lose money on this. Even if it is not worth fixing, parting it out could still be very profitable.

bigkensteele
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 9 2012, 05:54 PM) *

If you can verify that the roof and windows work and fit properly I would say the low side would be 5K. It will need a full repaint. If the roof and windows are out of place you're looking at frame time at 8+ finished sad.gif

That's not bad considering there is a similar car, one year newer, lower miles, but with a buy-it-now of $36.5k.

Other car

Wish I had the coin right now.
balljoint
So call a friend. Go halvsies get her fixed and sell her fir a profit.
mrbubblehead
it looks like some one beat it with a baseball bat or someting similar. i could really see accident damage....
Jake Raby
What if I said I had one with a perfect body and a bad engine?? Just like this and a Targa, but not red and a C2. Any engine possibility is available.
Not kidding. Its clean! Body is perfect and a clean title.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 9 2012, 06:27 PM) *

What if I said I had one with a perfect body and a bad engine?? Just like this and a Targa, but not red and a C2. Any engine possibility is available.
Not kidding. Its clean! Body is perfect and a clean title.

I would say that you are one cruel SOB, since you know I don't have the money right now, and leave me alone and mind your own business.

Then I would ask you what color it was, how much would it cost to put an engine in it, and might it still be available after April when I have to write a huge check to the government?
Jake Raby
I replied to your PM.. It'll take us about a month to repair the engine, which might be good for you... These cars are HOT this time of year!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 9 2012, 08:11 PM) *

I replied to your PM.. It'll take us about a month to repair the engine, which might be good for you... These cars are HOT this time of year!

Please, for the love of God, don't tell me that it is silver with a tan interior.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 9 2012, 09:15 PM) *

it looks like some one beat it with a baseball bat or someting similar. i could really see accident damage....

Pissed off ex-wife? confused24.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 9 2012, 06:15 PM) *

Look at the rear of the rocker on the drivers side. That wasn't a baseball bat, and it might be pretty hard to fix. The more I look at it, it was rolled. The damage on the roof, and the way the driver's mirror dented the door. For all I know, it could have landed on a tree trunk or fire hydrant. The roof isn't closing, which can't be good.

I have been talked down from the ledge. Thanks all!
Dave_Darling
Looks like the top is tweaked. To me, that says it's perilously close to "parts car" territory.

--DD
jmill
Rolled. That sucker is tweaked good. Look at the positive camber it's got going on in the rear. I'd say that's where it took the curb shot that flipped it.

timofly
Take a deep breath, and repeat after me: PARTS CAR!

It's gotta be twisted, I agree that it rolled. With that said, the parts are prolly worth $17K....This would be "one of those" projects that ends up costing 2x what the car is worth.

Besides, add the divorce cost to the car and there's no way this works.

My 2 cents, marked down from a nickel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.