Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Going to loose my job in a week
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Valy
I'm about to lose my job in a week or so. My company is downsizing and my business unit will be shut down almost completely.
Didn't got the notice yet but my overseas boss is trying to schedule the meeting in about one week.
I'm so pissed off !
bigkensteele
Really sorry to hear that!

Like I posted on a recent similar thread - I truly believe that everything happens for a reason, and given time, you will land on your feet in a better position.

My psycho boss tried to get me canned in 2010, but through a technicality and the fact that HR recognized that she was nuttier than squirrel shit, she was only able to get me demoted. I took an $18k haircut, but 4 months later another gig landed in my lap. It was a 6 month consulting contract that has turned into 2 years, and I am happier than I have ever been.

Keep your chin up, your nose to the ground, your contacts open, and prayers going if you are so inclined. You WILL find something, and it will most likely be better than what you had.

Best of luck,
Ken
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 9 2012, 08:28 PM) *

I'm about to lose my job in a week or so. My company is downsizing and my business unit will be shut down almost completely.
Didn't got the notice yet but my overseas boss is trying to schedule the meeting in about one week.
I'm so pissed off !

What kind of job? What kind of skills! Any banking software experience?

If you are an advanced programmer or DBA I know people!
GaroldShaffer
I feel your pain, will be going through the same thing myself in a few months or less. Get your resume cleaned up and ready. Start making calls, sending emails, network network network. Did I say network? Yes it will suck, but life goes on so be mad, sad, pissed, happy........ but get your ducks in a row.

Good luck.
Valy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 9 2012, 08:54 PM) *

I'm so pissed off !

Thanks for the offer but I'm an electrical engineer in the access/network/communications field. I have a high profile job, am on the technical advisory board of a NASDAQ company and active in multiple standard bodies. I hope I'll find something soon, preferably a Startup. I think I'm done with Fortune 500 for now.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 9 2012, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 9 2012, 08:54 PM) *

I'm so pissed off !

Thanks for the offer but I'm an electrical engineer in the access/network/communications field. I have a high profile job, am on the technical advisory board of a NASDAQ company and active in multiple standard bodies. I hope I'll find something soon, preferably a Startup. I think I'm done with Fortune 500 for now.

Well it was worth a shot!

Puting it out "is networking"!
JawjaPorsche
Sorry to hear this. When one door closes, another opens. Hang in there.
patrick3000
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 10 2012, 12:09 AM) *

I feel your pain, will be going through the same thing myself in a few months or less. Get your resume cleaned up and ready. Start making calls, sending emails, network network network. Did I say network? Yes it will suck, but life goes on so be mad, sad, pissed, happy........ but get your ducks in a row.

Good luck.

X2

This is very good advice
Ian Stott
Don't get rid of your teener, too many reasons to list of why you should keep it. You will be okay, just sucks right now.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
EdwardBlume
Hang in there. If you look for security there is none. If you look for opportunities you eventually gain security.

All the best, Rob
stugray
'm an electrical engineer in the access/network/communications field. I have a high profile job, am on the technical advisory board of a NASDAQ company and active in multiple standard bodies.

Have you retained your "real" EE skills, or are you just a manager type now?
Do you have software skills? Labview, C, C++, Ruby, VxWorks, other real-time?

My company is hiring, but needs real hands on EE or Software skills.

I am in your boat. I have a "high profile" job, so the EE after my name does not mean what it used to.

Stu
jmill
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 10 2012, 12:12 AM) *

I'm an electrical engineer in the access/network/communications field.

You might want to look into a power utility. I lost my job in the aeronautics field 10 years ago. Went into electrical power production and distribution and never looked back. Crews are dispatched, substations are switched and customers are notified all electronically. Not to mention the design, application and field engineering roles you could fill with your degree .

There's some things people need despite the economy. Electricity, sewer, water and garbage are the top 4 in my book.
mepstein
QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 9 2012, 11:28 PM) *

I'm so pissed off !

Week long party?
Krieger
Sign up with linkedin. You can connect with people you know from work, college and recruiters. I did this and had recruiters contacting me. Good luck and stay positive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.