Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Considering Undercoating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914four
I'm considering undercoating my car while it is on a rotisserie. There are benefits with undercoating but my car did not originally come with undercoating from the factory or dealer. Benefits include sound deadening, heat protection and paint protection. Cons include extra cost, more weight, and non-original to the car. Originality is not a big concern because I am upgrading to a 5 lug suspension.

Wurth rubberized undercoating seems to be a good product but is hard to find in anything but small spray cans. Hy-Tech SC#1000 looks to be a similar product and readily available.

Anyone have advice for undercoating or should I leave the paint exposed?

Kelvin
wingnut86
Search undercoating on our site and the Bird. There's a Mercedes product out there as well as the heavy truck bed coats that work extremely well also.
sawtooth
Couldn't be happier with wurth sks stone guard. You can buy it direct from the factory wurthusa.com or I just call them 1-800-WURTH-USA (1-800-987-8487). And they will even keep calling you back to make sure you don't need anymore...forever, until you tell them to stop. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

TJB/914
914four.

There has been many posts on undercoating, go to search. Here's a little TIP done by myself and Lou (forgot Lou's last name) that's done on serious restoration projects.

After undercoating, seal everthin with one coat of clear matt finish or low gloss paint. This seal coat lasts forever and keeps the undercoating looking fresh and easy to clean up with a hose-down. All the real CW's do it. biggrin.gif w00t.gif

Tom
Drums66
.....That's a good Idea?.... undercoating of your choice stones.gif
tunez.gif thumb3d.gif
bye1.gif
Cairo94507
That is a good tip.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Mar 10 2012, 01:33 PM) *

.....That's a good Idea?.... undercoating of your choice stones.gif
tunez.gif thumb3d.gif
bye1.gif

Your welcome, Matt finish seal coat is best. Hides better.

T
jmill
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Mar 10 2012, 12:29 PM) *

All the real CW's do it. biggrin.gif w00t.gif

So let me get this straight. The guys who are really into keeping and judging cars on their originality coat the bottom of their cars with a non-stock product? Where's Pat? poke.gif
914four
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Mar 10 2012, 11:47 AM) *

Couldn't be happier with wurth sks stone guard. You can buy it direct from the factory wurthusa.com or I just call them 1-800-WURTH-USA (1-800-987-8487). And they will even keep calling you back to make sure you don't need anymore...forever, until you tell them to stop. smile.gif

Wow! Your car looks great! That is where I hope to be next week at this time.

How much Wurth does it take to cover the bottom of the 914 and what does it run? There website does not show pricing and they must be closed today because no one is answering the phone.

Kelvin
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jmill @ Mar 10 2012, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Mar 10 2012, 12:29 PM) *

All the real CW's do it. biggrin.gif w00t.gif

So let me get this straight. The guys who are really into keeping and judging cars on their originality coat the bottom of their cars with a non-stock product? Where's Pat? poke.gif

Very likely vapor locked and turning blue! av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.