Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biker bob
Wife says its time to add A/C or I 'll be losing my co-pilot. We are getting older and I did not put up much of fuss. So I'll be needing some advice from you guys. I have a A/C unit (in a box) off my 73 parts car that I need to install on my 72 2.0L. I have some experience installing an aftermarket unit in a Mustang years ago.

I need info as to installation in a 914. Condenser mounting ,compressor bracket location, dryer location, mods to engine tin, hose routing and etc. I also need a source for a new dryer and a new Sanden compressor to replace the old York.

Help appreicated.. Bob
amphiduck
Go here:

http://www.bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

Has all the a/c installation instructions. I plan on doing it to my '74 sometime in the not too distant future. Good luck!
mtburman
I just replaced/updated entire a/c system to sanden compressor, new barrier hoses, new electric fan over condenser. Works great, don't notice compressor running even at stop light. Lost passenger side heater but am working on adding cross duct from drivers side although not really needed in AZ.
biker bob
QUOTE(mtburman @ Mar 10 2012, 02:41 PM) *

I just replaced/updated entire a/c system to sanden compressor, new barrier hoses, new electric fan over condenser. Works great, don't notice compressor running even at stop light. Lost passenger side heater but am working on adding cross duct from drivers side although not really needed in AZ.

What model sanden compressor did you use?
dlee6204
Here are two threads that might help you out some...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=78327&hl=

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ioning&st=0

bandjoey
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/

there are a couple of units here that look like they'll work in a 914. No connection but I've been looking at some for my car. New and up to date sure beats old and hard to get to work

Look at the Under Dash #400 unit
TheCabinetmaker
Hey bob, when ya gonna be home? I'm ready for that clarksville drive.
mtburman
I used the Sanden 507, could use the 505 but not as easily available. Used a sliding type mount to make belt adjustable versus shims. Did not re-use the idle pulley but doesn't have any issues with belt slapping. Hoses were approx $350, compressor off of e-bay, less than $200, mount was $50, Condenser fan and relay $90, drier, misc parts were another $60-$75. Pulled engine to better fabricate compressor mount.
mtburman
I already had a/c but if i did it again, would try to route hoses through passenger heat tube, I think it would be cleaner look.
biker bob
Thanks everyone for all the great infomation.

I would suggest to anyone installing A/C read the the thread suggested by dlee6204 post #5 above click on the lower site. Go to page 2 and check out the top mount compressor install.

This is a 2008 thread a bit old but did anyone identify the fan pulley used. Every thing else seems doable. Just need the pulley and a source. Attempting to PM original poster.
dlee6204
QUOTE(biker bob @ Mar 13 2012, 03:28 PM) *

Thanks everyone for all the great infomation.

I would suggest to anyone installing A/C read the the thread suggested by dlee6204 post #5 above click on the lower site. Go to page 2 and check out the top mount compressor install.

This is a 2008 thread a bit old but did anyone identify the fan pulley used. Every thing else seems doable. Just need the pulley and a source. Attempting to PM original poster.

When I add A/C to my car (hopefully this spring) I plan to mount the compressor on top. I was thinking of maybe using a smog pump pulley that attaches to the front? I was also going to get a fan housing/shroud from a smog car so that I have a better place to mount the compressor.
zambezi
Biker bob has requested more pics of my front accessory pulley in hopes of getting it identified. I bought it a couple years ago off of either thesamba or ebay. It came with a compressor and some brackets for mounting. I don't know what it came from but I assumed it was for a later VW bus. It is cast iron and has a 3 bolt pattern that matches the front fan. It fit perfectly so I know it is designed for the type 4 engine. I am reposting as many pictures as I have of it in hopes someone can identify where it comes from. Quite a few people have expressed interest in my "on the top" mounting of the A/C compressor, but this pulley is the key ingredient. If you have a lead on where it comes from or if you even have one please post a response.
Thanks for all those interested,
JIM
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
biker bob
Hey Jim, thanks for posting the new pics.
gothspeed
QUOTE(biker bob @ Mar 16 2012, 01:06 PM) *

Hey Jim, thanks for posting the new pics.

+914 ........... what he said ^^^ smile.gif !!!! ............... also some more info on that carb linkage ... wink.gif
zambezi
The carb linkage is my home made setup. I made it similar to AzBills setup and silmilar to the CSP linkage. It has a roller bearing for the pivot and equal length pivot points so the geometry stays the same throughout the throttle position.
billh1963
Did anyone ever find a source for these pulleys?
TheCabinetmaker
I found out its a smog pump pulley from a 75 era vw van or camper. I located 1 in arkansas, but the guy wanted 150 for it.
billh1963
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 15 2012, 09:37 PM) *

I found out its a smog pump pulley from a 75 era vw van or camper. I located 1 in arkansas, but the guy wanted 150 for it.

Ouch! Wish a vendor on here would make them. It's a great looking bit of kit!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.