Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragon Run - March 11
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
If anyone is interested, there are a few of us headed to the Dragon on Sunday, March 11.

We will be meeting at the Shoney's on Alcoa Hwy at 11:00am

914 not running? dry.gif That's OK... drive something else smile.gif

Headcount so far: driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif and maybe driving.gif
okieflyr
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 10 2012, 02:55 PM) *

If anyone is interested, there are a few of us headed to the Dragon on Sunday, March 11.

Headcount so far: driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Dang I miss the Dragon sad.gif

Going early always gave me the best time though biggrin.gif

Enjoy!
poorsche914
Four 914s and a Miata with possibility of another 914. This should be fun.

driving.gif
rex66m

Headcount so far: driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif and maybe driving.gif

Looks like the weather is going to cooperate. Looking forward to it!
rex66m

Don't forget about the time change, too (wife just gave me the reminder).
poorsche914
QUOTE(rex66m @ Mar 10 2012, 10:02 PM) *
Don't forget about the time change, too (wife just gave me the reminder).

Yes, I had thought about that. Hope everyone else remembers. Most cell phones will reset so we should be good smile.gif

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
poorsche914
Had a good turnout - (2) 914s, (2) 911s, a 356 S90, and a Miata.

Met at the first turnout on Foothills Parkway.
Click to view attachment

Somewhere along the Dragon.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Saw this... belongs to a guy from N. Carolina.
Click to view attachment
Rotary powered.
Click to view attachment
scotty b
That shalon car has been inquired aboot here a couple of times. It shows up on Killboy every once in a while.
poorsche914
Yes, we have posted that one here before.

Talked to the owner today. He has had it for about a year.

driving.gif
Lucky Dogs!!!

Looks like a great time but it just ain't fair, damit....LOL

Lets get ready to Flood Killboy to get someone a Free 24x36 poster!!
poorsche914
Did you race with Don today? How'd you do?

Come on up any time and run the Dragon with us.
And it is US129photos.com that gives away a poster. I will have to convince them to post one of our cars for this week smile.gif

driving.gif
scotty b
where's the video confused24.gif poke.gif poke.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 11 2012, 06:21 PM) *
where's the video confused24.gif poke.gif poke.gif

Wait for it... wait for it. smile.gif

driving.gif
poorsche914
Footage from a portion of the drive along Foothills Parkway.
Following a Porsche 911SC Weissach Edition.
Asked the owner about Porsche records and from what he says, there is less information about the Weissach Edition than there is about the 914 LE blink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzJo9e4LcTw

When we reached US129, the 911SC driver headed back home to the right while the rest of us took a left to the Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzWs4DS-De0

More to come... going to edit out the "boring" parts. type.gif

driving.gif
scotty b
1000 Weissachs produced in two different colors ( 500 of each ). Painted Fuchs, and special colored interior with alternate color piping. Neat cars, I know of 3 in this area.
poorsche914
From what I have read, it was a US only car...
1980 911SC Weissach Special model produced in 1980 as a limited production of 400 built exclusively for the North American market. 200 were Platinum and 200 Black

I drove one back in the mid '80s. driving.gif
The owner totalled it a few months later sad.gif
scotty b
I stand corrected. I had been told it was 1000, but after a googling I found a couple different numbers, but 400 seems to be the most commonly mentioned confused24.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 11 2012, 09:02 PM) *
I stand corrected. I had been told it was 1000, but after a googling I found a couple different numbers, but 400 seems to be the most commonly mentioned confused24.gif

What I found most interesting is that Porsche's record keeping on the WE is lacking just like the 914 LE. I figured they would keep better records for the 911 model specials. confused24.gif
poorsche914
Another video from the Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQHFxaCQBTs

driving.gif
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 11 2012, 05:14 PM) *

Did you race with Don today? How'd you do?

Come on up any time and run the Dragon with us.
And it is US129photos.com that gives away a poster. I will have to convince them to post one of our cars for this week smile.gif

driving.gif

That's right..US129. I should have looked up on the wall...I have 2 of them!

Yes I did co-drive The Bee with Shoe today. first.gif
I will let him talk about the class results. hissyfit.gif

Looked like a great time up in them thar hills today. My heads should be done by next week and some minor welding on suspension ear reinforcment left then Wilma will be back on the road. She was new Eng Long kit and updated Fuse panel while I was in there. Just like the 911 swivel feet and chromoly pushrods when the motor goes back together.
rnellums
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 11 2012, 05:27 PM) *

Saw this... belongs to a guy from N. Carolina.
Click to view attachment

Is that a removable targa bar? Cool!
poorsche914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Mar 12 2012, 09:31 AM) *
Is that a removable targa bar? Cool!

Yes, the entire targa bar with window comes off.

And while I am here... the last couple miles of the Dragon crossing into North Carolina to Deals Gap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXffQNKpZjo
BK911
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 11 2012, 06:52 PM) *

Another video from the Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQHFxaCQBTs

driving.gif

What a day!
Thanks for posting the videos.
My favorite part is about 4 minutes in.

beerchug.gif
poorsche914
Can't imagine why the 4min mark is your favorite part happy11.gif
BritCarJim
looks like a lot of fun. given time i'll be looking to go on these things with you myself. (picked up a used set of SS heat exchangers today to replace my rusty originals...continuing to gather bits.)
poorsche914
Jim - did you get the 1.7/1.8 or the 2.0 version of heat exchangers? If 1.7, I have a muffler that will work if you need one.

driving.gif
BritCarJim
they were advertised here on the board as 1.7/1.8 so thats what i assume they are. when you looked at the car you said the sport-type muffler that i have is louder than average...i think its in decent shape but i don't know if i'll want to keep it or not. the HE that i have has been poorly welded/repaired where the line comes off the motor and then has further rusted so i think its probably leaking pretty badly there...so since i can't tell how loud my muffler really is (yet) i don't know if i'd wanna replace it or swap you. i'll keep that in mind, thanks. jim
poorsche914
I thought maybe you have the '75-'76 style HE/muffler mounts. If so, your current muffler won't work with your new SS units. headbang.gif

To take things back on topic... I will be meeting Ted and Jim (the guys from PA who bought a 914 in CA and driving cross country) today for a detour to the Dragon. Looks like the weather will clear by noon so should be a good day. Will post pics and video

driving.gif
BritCarJim
poorsche, the car is at home but i have pics on my digital camara here, what would i look for to see which kind i have?

boy, i wish i had the sort of job where i could take off and run the dragon when i wanted to. lots of potential jealousy @ this for guys with jobs that won't allow or geography thats not as much fun.
poorsche914
Being self employed is often times like being self unemployed blink.gif

But, yeah, it's nice to be able to get away sometimes. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the Dragon today. The cross country travelers stopped at Eurohaus in Knoxville to have some carb issues checked and it took WAY longer than anticipated. Even though I couldn't go, Ted and Jim did head on to the Dragon.

Jim - the late style exhaust mounts (heat exchanger to muffler) are more of a circular shape while the earlier style is a trapezoid. Oh... also takes a different muffler hanger.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.