Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rain Trays - do you use them or lose them?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tadink
Howdy - have a nice rain tray that was sorta hanging there, and I've taken it off. Now with some weather headed into NorCal (finally!) I'm wondering how bad would it be if some rain came in with no rain-tray?

what's the consensus?

thx

td
mrbubblehead
i dont have one. i have a gt lid also, so its a pretty big hole back there. i have been caught in the rain, and seems like as long as your moving the rain dosnt go in. but once you stop the rain falls straight in. also i am carburated with rain hats. so not alot of electronics to get wet. when im parked i use the 914 umbrella. everything stays perfectly dry.

if i was fuel injected and HAD toto drive in the rain, i think i keep the tray.
Mike Bellis
I once went on a work trip for a week. While I was gone, it rained heavy in the Bay Area. When I tried to start it a week later, it had hydraulic loked from water. The rain hit the air cleaner, which allowed water down the carb, which entered the cylinder through an open valve... sad.gif I pulled the spark plug, and blew them off. Cranked it over to squirt the water out. I then used an air chuck to remove as mutch water as possible from the cylinder. Replaced spark plugs and it fired right up. No big deal... smile.gif
ConeDodger
First let me say that my car doesn't have it's raintray. I have a GT lid (Thanks Sergio) and I don't really ever take it out in the rain. Now having said that, I think the answer to your question lies in a little story I have heard tell about the dynamic between the engineers and the accountants at the car company:

Believe it! If the engineers can't convince the accountants that it has to be there it will not be there.

So if your car isn't a trailer/garage queen that will never see rain - keep it...
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2012, 03:45 PM) *

First let me say that my car doesn't have it's raintray. I have a GT lid (Thanks Sergio) and I don't really ever take it out in the rain. Now having said that, I think the answer to your question lies in a little story I have heard tell about the dynamic between the engineers and the accountants at the car company:

Believe it! If the engineers can't convince the accountants that it has to be there it will not be there.

So if your car isn't a trailer/garage queen that will never see rain - keep it...

Or letting strange women in bikinis and high heels wash it…. cheer.gif
tadink
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Mar 10 2012, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 10 2012, 03:45 PM) *

Or letting strange women in bikinis and high heels wash it…. cheer.gif

YIKES -the last post convinces me - that happens to me ALL THE TIME -

I'll keep the rain tray and get that sucker back installed!

thanks all - agree about the engr's vs accountants as well - those germermans probably thought about this already!

cheers

td
Cevan
I have mine installed. The only negative I can see is just a bit less access with the engine lid raised. I don't notice a significant reduction in oil or head temps with it removed.
Prospectfarms
Tadink, this thread is useful to me as well. Have wondered the same and appreciate the info. As always, thanks to responders for the benefit of your experience.
mrholland2
Okay, so since my car is non-garaged, and it rains here, I bets get one. Suggestions?
Prospectfarms
CSOB rain tray
euro911
I run with them in 2 914s (1 carb'd, the other F.I.). They help to channel water out, but also keeps other debris from falling into the engine compartment.
struckn
East Coast where it rains and HELL Holes RUST when wet. Got to use the protection from the rain trays.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.