Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scored a new accessory yesterday - a wing!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tadink
So 'she who must be obeyed' asked me today while I was trying to start the string trimmer if i really thought that was the most important thing to do next?

I told her that I felt I had already demonstrated my lack of ability in knowing what the most important thing to do was then I brought home the WING for the car that NEEDS EVERYTHING ELSE FIRST.

But, it was just too cool to pass up - and I got if for a bottle of wine (trade) so I just had to have it!

Now - the question is - a) how to mount it and b) where to mount it.

found a great thread on the bird sight by a guy who had his grad students study the aerodynamics of the teener!

anyone else have a wing they care to show?

td

<sorry about the pic rotation, i cannot seem to get them to stay upright!>
"it is never to late to have a happy childhood". PStonebergClick to view attachment
URY914
A picture would help a great deal.
tadink
QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 10 2012, 04:19 PM) *

A picture would help a great deal.

ratz - I thought I'd grabbed it back before it got out there.....pix are there now!
td
Mark Henry
IPB Image
RickS
You may be asking the wrong crowd, but if you like it and it makes you happy then go for it and ignore the derision.
tadink
LOL - oh I know what I'm in for - if you can't laugh at yourself along with everyone else, it is a hard life!

I'll go talk to the racer-chasers, at least they will appreciate my wing. harumph!

td
Elliot Cannon
It looks good but to be really useful it has to be a bit higher. Kinda like this one.
Smitty911
Based on what I have read of the usefulness of mounting a wing on the rear deck.

The best way to mount it might be though bolted in the center of the Targa. You might have trouble getting it stored in the truck, so maybe some Hood Pins would be a more appropriate mounting method. confused24.gif

Smitty

Dr Evil
What a shame sad.gif
6freak
its gonna slow you down lol-2.gif but then again stock 914s are slow anyway stirthepot.gif ....maybe you can mount it on the targa top ....then you can take it off when you wanna drive fast and then put it back on when ya wanna be a ricer poke.gif ...options are good

MikeC slap.gif come on really av-943.gif
Cairo94507
The absolute perfect place to mount that is on the big receptacle can you roll out to the curb weekly for emptying as a heavy can needs all the lift it can get. Seriously. biggrin.gif
MikeM
Look at the "look" on that guys' face as he tries to figure out what the hell that racer is!!!! Too funny...
Prospectfarms

a) Use 4" "Timberlock" screws and rubber washers, or galvanized lag screws.

b) At peak of roof, oriented in the direction that gives best TV reception. Be sure to screw into a solid joist.
Mr.242
Mount on Ebay for a 7 day auction. Take proceeds into PayPal.

When sold, buy something useful for a 914. Use previous PayPal amount to buy and ship.

popcorn[1].gif
tadink
Wow - tough crowd!

great comments - LOL

ok, having said all that, is it useful for more downforce on the backend
when cornering in AX or DE events?

AND - just to make you all more jealous of my wing - it has CARBON FIBER on the ends holding the wings - which are adjustable!!

Now who's laughing? huh? Carbon Fiber.....ahhhhhh. :-)

td
Racing916
For DE the wing is worthless unless you put downforce in the front as well to balance the car (like a splitter) And with a stock 4 cylinder it would just cause more drag and slow you down more. But if you like it, it is your car. smile.gif
Dr Evil
Unless you are going FAST, like 100mph, that is useless. Also, think of it this way, how much can you push down on that flimsy lid before it buckles? The wing will likely dent your lid pretty good. You will notice in the race car that is pictured, the wing is mounted THROUGH the lid not ON it wink.gif
poorsche914
I've seen the same wing on 4-door Accords and Camrys. Did a fart can come with it?

driving.gif
bandi
QUOTE(tadink @ Mar 10 2012, 07:12 PM) *

a) With whatever fasteners you can find
b) on the back of a 1993 Honda Civic Coupe.
Lennies914
"But, it was just too cool to pass up - and I got if for a bottle of wine (trade) so I just had to have it! "

I hope it was't a good bottle of wine. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
where to mount it.

IPB Image
Randal
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 13 2012, 07:55 AM) *

where to mount it.

IPB Image

The comments about mounting the wing for AX or DE were correct. Down force in the back has to be offset by down force in the front. And you have to mount them in sequence and test them to understand what each one does at speed; otherwise you'll never be able to sort out your (upcoming) handling difficulties.

IAE I've re posted your pictures. The orientation was giving me a headache.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Well, thank goodness he has that bungee cord on there smile.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 13 2012, 07:55 AM) *

where to mount it.

IPB Image

....Heh Heh laugh.gif flag.gif popcorn[1].gif
Spoke
I tried a little photoshop to see if it looked better with endplate mounts instead of the center trunk mounts. idea.gif

The trunk won't open too far with this mounting
MDG
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 13 2012, 08:17 PM) *

biggrin.gif You could probably slip a pizza or two in there.
naro914
Aw come on guys....
Here's some suggestions:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=148116

(OK, so all those are real race cars that NEED the wing for stability...ok...so ALMOST all of them are...)
Cracker
lol3.gif C'mon man...you can't be serious. lol-2.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Spoke @ Mar 13 2012, 05:17 PM) *

I tried a little photoshop to see if it looked better with endplate mounts instead of the center trunk mounts. idea.gif

Kind of like this one, which worked BTW.

Click to view attachment

sean_v8_914
love that wing thread
Ury914: your 914 is ridiculous, thank you.
Millerwelds

Nice attempt to fix the mounting, but clearly you would be ruining the best part of the original wing. How are we all going to be so jealous if you remove the Carbon Fiber? shades.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 13 2012, 09:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment

but that car hauls ass ..
URY914
Maybe you can meet up with this guy and talk about wings. Maybe start a club or website or something.

Click to view attachment
naro914
the guy on the left is a foremost authority on wings....

naro914
Here's a whole page dedicated to Stupid Car spoilers:

http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/photos/25-r...pid-car-spoiler

Randal
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 14 2012, 06:55 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Yup. And it handled better than any other car I've driven. Bill Pickering figured out all the right stuff for the build, so credit to him. beerchug.gif
tadink
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 14 2012, 08:40 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Yup. And it handled better than any other car I've driven. Bill Pickering figured out all the right stuff for the build, so credit to him. beerchug.gif

Is there a build thread on the white car (pickering) somewhere? Looks like a Sheridan kit front and back - yes? oh, and there's a wing? nice. Must be for downforce? hmmm. So someone did the work that figured out that the thing needed to be pretty high to be out of the turbulence of the airflow - any idea if there is more info on that somewhere?

Happy to provide you guys the fodder you need for the great roasting you have given me - all in good fun!

and, btw, isn't that a black bungee cord that Pickering used on the wing?? :-)

cheers

td
Aaron Cox
God kills a kitten every time someone ruins a rear decklid like this....

Scott S
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 14 2012, 06:51 AM) *

the guy on the left is a foremost authority on wings....

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif

I am stealing this picture - I am sure it will be useful at some point. Made my day! Thanks!!!
av-943.gif
Randal
QUOTE(tadink @ Mar 14 2012, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 14 2012, 08:40 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Is there a build thread on the white car (pickering) somewhere? Looks like a Sheridan kit front and back - yes? oh, and there's a wing? nice. Must be for downforce? hmmm. So someone did the work that figured out that the thing needed to be pretty high to be out of the turbulence of the airflow - any idea if there is more info on that somewhere?

Happy to provide you guys the fodder you need for the great roasting you have given me - all in good fun!

and, btw, isn't that a black bungee cord that Pickering used on the wing?? :-)

cheers

td

Actuallly that "bungee cord" was originally mounted side to side parallel to the ground, about half way up the side mounts. Guess what, it didn't stop movement. Another great builder friend took one look at it, then fabricated a corner to corner (holllow) bar and installed it. And guess what, no movement.

Lots of build threads on this site like > http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...56777&st=40

Search under nine14cats or Randal for many more threads on The Beast
rjames
For DE the wing is worthless unless you put downforce in the front as well to balance the car

agree.gif
Put another stromberg.gif wing on the front hood ! av-943.gif

Dr Evil
Like so....
Andyrew
Couple years ago that Scion was the fastest FF car in the US...
URY914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.