Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sbruzek
Does engine need to come out to replace the starter??
dlee6204
No! After disconnecting the electrical connections, you remove one mounting nut from under the car and remove the second nut from inside the engine bay. Done.
underthetire
It actuall really easy to access if you pull the drivers rear wheel. Btw, your local auto parts store WILL sell you the wrong one.
sbruzek
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 10 2012, 09:04 PM) *

No! After disconnecting the electrical connections, you remove one mounting nut from under the car and remove the second nut from inside the engine bay. Done.

Thanks I read about the second nut and access to it in the engine bay. I dont see how I can get down to the nut on the back top of the starter ( the nut you can't get a socket on due to it having part of the starter mounting ear right up against the nut) from inside the engine. The tin is in the way. Do I remove it the tin or am I miising something. Is it a differet nut than what I see from under the car (from opposite the drivers side)???
TheCabinetmaker
The top bolt is a round head that is shaped like a D. The flat side is against the body of the starter and keeps it from turning. Also, no need to remove the wheel. Unless the car has been extremely lowered, you have plenty of room to scoot under the car behind the wheel with the car on the ground. Use a ratchet and socket from the top to remove the nut from the engine bay. Pull the wire bundle laying against the back engine tin towards the front of the car and the bolt is easily accessible. remove - battery cable, then crawl underneath and remove the bottom nut and wiring. Careful the starter deosn't fall on your head.
sbruzek
Found the nut in the engine bay!!! Thanx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.