Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter does not turn engine over fast enough
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
Well, as usuall, things progress.
914, 1972 with a 96x78mm four cylinder engine.
When I attach a fully charged battery to the car, turn on the ignition to start, very slow turning over of the engine. Leave the ignition switch in the on position and cross the 12V battery supply to the selinoid of the starter, the engine very slowly turns over. When I remove the screwdriver connection to the selinoid, the starter continues to turn the engine over for a few seconds, then quits turning over, or sometimes, I have to disconnect the battery. Hard to check a compression ratio. New rebuild on the engine (first time the engine is to be started). Compression ration calculated to be about 9.0:1.
Does this mean I will require a hi torque starter for this engine?
Thanks,
L. McC
JoeSharpOld
Larry: I had the same problem, check all the grounds, tranny and starter, and the conections at the starter.
Joe
lmcchesney
Thanks Joe.
My tranny ground is new and looks good. I cleaned all the connections from positive pole of battery to the starter. I have not ran an additional ground from the starter to the neg. pole. Do you think that would help?
L. McC
SLITS
I assume the starter is not new.

It may be the contact inside the solenoid being corroded and sticking that cause it to run afterward. Solenoid is no good.

Plus, the starter could be just worn out.

At 9:1, it shouldn't be a great problem.

Get the 1.2? 1.8 kW 911 starter (SR68X) instead of the 914 0.8 kW starter (SR17X) - it will spin readily if all other things are in order.
lmcchesney
I checked and I have 12v at the starter. I connected a large (4ga) wire from the neg. pole to the engine case at the fly wheel housing, so the ground of the starter should be fine. Even with jumper cables connected to a runing engine with battery, no improvement in cranking. The starter is about 3 years old. With the cost of a SR86X at $180 and a Hi Torque at $249, which is the best bet?
Further suggestions?
Thanks,
L. McC
SLITS
I know it's hell to wait, but I can check our stock on Monday to see if we have a "good to go" used 911 starter.
I would have to charge $75 + freight from CA for it.

I can also see what they charge me for a rebuilt unit.

Oh, and from R&B Performance in Parker, AZ, I believe the owner Ron sells the "hi torque" (Nipponsenso gear reduction with a new nose) at swap meets for about $170.00.

Next thing to examine is the 12V lead from the battery to the starter. If that cable is old, it could have a very high resistance and be the problem. Voltage is not the measure, amps carried is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.