Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My trip to Route 66 off to a bad start!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Okay so I have to be in Vegas this week for work. I am driving down this week & leaving my Car at John Pedersons place in Vegas. Lets me split my 17-18 hour drive to Lake Havasu between weeks. I'll be in Vegas until friday the 16th & fly home. I'll fly back into Vegas on the 22nd. Then head down to Route friday.

I will leave first thing in tomorrow morning & drive to RENO. Hoping there is a teener or 2 there who will be up for some dinner. I figure to grab a hotel somewhere around Reno or possibly further down the road. We'll see how the day goes. It would be better if I could get a few more hours drive in after dinner. I need to be in Vegas tuesday by 3 or 4 at the latest.

Also any road problems I should worry about? Anywhere I should steer clear of?
Eric_Shea
Coming through here? Lunch? Dinner?
AZ914
Best of luck!
jcd914
Conedodger is in Reno
VegasRacer
I'll see ya in a couple of days Jamie.
driving.gif Happy Motoring.
ConeDodger
We are going to get together this evening... I will see if Rand is available too... biggrin.gif
JRust
Change of plans for my Route. I am at Original customs now getting a tranny leak fixed. I was about out of fluid by the time I got here. Back of my car is an oily mess. It is up on the lift getting replaced now.

I've got to figure my route to Vegas now. I will drive a few hours tonight. I'd like to leave myself like 6hours of driving tomorrow. I could be up for some dinner somewhere down the road tonight. Although I'm not sure which way I am going yet.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 12 2012, 03:23 PM) *

Change of plans for my Route. I am at Original customs now getting a tranny leak fixed. I was about out of fluid by the time I got here. Back of my car is an oily mess. It is up on the lift getting replaced now.

I've got to figure my route to Vegas now. I will drive a few hours tonight. I'd like to leave myself like 6hours of driving tomorrow. I could be up for some dinner somewhere down the road tonight. Although I'm not sure which way I am going yet.

You'll probably have to make it to Fresno tonight if you only want to leave yourself 6 hours of driving time tomorrow.
McMark
Threw a new output shaft seal in on the pass. side and powerwashed the bottom of the car. And he's back on the road. Gave him a few supplies for the emergency kit, just in case.
JRust
Yeah I am going to need them. It's got to be the main shaft seal on the front of the tranny. Still leaking like a mother. Stopped in Visalia or the turn off to it anyway at the motel 6. I'll put new fluid in it before hitting the road. Anybody else in route that has a shop. I'll need to pull my tranny to replace the seal. I do have the seal but could use some stands or even better a lift. An extra pairmofmhandsmnever hurts either
McMark
While it's out, make sure your pilot bearing is in the flywheel. A missing pilot bearing will allow the shaft to move and let oil leak out.

Damn. sad.gif
JRust
Not your fault. At least I have what I need to do it. Thought about turning around after a few miles to check while I was close. I didn't get to far before I got stuck in traffic. My patience for rush hour has not improved. I crossed my fingers & hoped that output shaft seal fixed it. Guess my LE luck is holding huh smile.gif
AZ914
Either Jamie is cruisin' fine, or is broke down outside of cell/internet range!
JRust
I made it to Vegas. Stopped to top it off in Bakersfield. Drove the rest of the way to Vegas. I am sure it it close to empty again. Decided to see if Renegade could fit me in to replace it. They were backed up & couldn't do it. Luckily Toast said she & Jake could do it this weekend. I have no time to do it before Route. So I figured I want to have it done & ready.

Other than the tranny problems the drive was good. It got a little warm in the heat & long hills. Nothing in the red but enough to make me a little nervous. My beautifully clean LE is not anymore. All the oil on the back makes it look nasty.

So my LE woes continue but I suppose I should be used to that huh?
Dr Evil
I hope your clutch is OK. Likely missing pilot bearing or the spring keeper in the input shaft seal is displaced. Is this a box you rebuilt?
MoveQik
Well, glad you made it to Vegas at least! Good luck with the repair. See you in Havasu!
JRust
Hey Doc. Yes it was a box I built at the last clinic. Must have screwed that seal up somehow. Hard to believe I could make a mistake like that I know. lol . I am replacing my clutch & doing a quick turn of the flywheel just to make sure it's all good. I'm just hoping it all goes smoothly this weekend. Going to really suck if there are any problems with the repair
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.