Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sbruzek
My 1972 2.0 will start when cold, its 50 F today, it will fire up and run pretty well, (as long as you keep it reved up) then in 2-3 minutes in coughs and dies. Then it will not start again but does try to fire up. If you let it set for 3-4 hours same thing, it will start, run for 2-3 minutes, dies and then will not start again. I can hear the fuel pump turn on each time. Suggestions??? Thanx

PS. when I try restarting, like 7-9 times, then it will not crank, just click. This time waiting for a 1/2 hours or so and it will crank again, but not start again untill you let it sit for at least 3-4 hours. ??? Thanx
Mike Bellis
Sounds like a fuel problem. Kinked line, clogged filter?
underthetire
Carbs' fi or what?
sbruzek
Its the original FI with new relays on the relay board, all fuses under dash are good, all the electrial connections to the various FI sensors are hooked up, and there is plenty of fuel.
I do have the air filter box off and have not blocked off any of the hoses that go into the air filter box.
I have not changed out the fuel filter yet but have a new one I just got. Car was in storage for many years.
underthetire
Follow the anders website for trouble shooting. It will teach you everything you wanted to know about the djet.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm
76-914
Look down your tank filler neck to see if the fuel screen sock is clear.Disconnect the hose going to the cold start valve on the throttle body and put a gage on it, Should read 29-30lbs. Check the ohm values on the CHT sensor at cold and again when it dies.
toadman
QUOTE(sbruzek @ Mar 11 2012, 02:36 PM) *

Its the original FI with new relays on the relay board, all fuses under dash are good, all the electrial connections to the various FI sensors are hooked up, and there is plenty of fuel.
I do have the air filter box off and have not blocked off any of the hoses that go into the air filter box.
I have not changed out the fuel filter yet but have a new one I just got. Car was in storage for many years.

It is a long shot but the FI ECU may be bad. This happened to me and it took me about five weeks of part-time diagnosing to determine that my ECU was failing intermittently. I used Anders' troubleshooting guide and checked all the FI components using the wiring harness connector where it connects to the ECU but I did not check the ECU itself. All the other FI components were OK but I was still having problems. Took me awhile to recognize that the ECU box was often unusually warm, even hot to the touch when I was having trouble starting my car. If the body of your ECU is hot all over, or even in one spot, then it could be bad. You can check your ECU by replacing it with a known good one.
Prospectfarms

change fuel filter

install a fuel pressure gauge (anything that reads to 50 pse) with rubber fuel hose. (Do 2.0's have test nipple on rail?)

29 psi.
EdwardBlume
Do you have the plastic stop behind the accelerator? Been stomping on the gas hard lately?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.