Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arg one thing leads to another
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jesse
So i pulled the engine looking for a simple oil leak, That turned into cleaning the engine and tranny where i found the wires to the reverse light switch were broke.
then i decided to go ahead and replace the fuel lines before my new son is riding with me. That led to pulling the gas tank, where i found some more burnt wires(the fuel pump has been acting funny lately) then i think ill clean the fresh air blower before i put the gas tank back in .

If ya'll have any other things i may need to look at before i put her back together
rnellums
QUOTE(Jesse @ Mar 11 2012, 08:12 PM) *

So i pulled the engine looking for a simple oil leak, That turned into cleaning the engine and tranny where i found the wires to the reverse light switch were broke.
then i decided to go ahead and replace the fuel lines before my new son is riding with me. That led to pulling the gas tank, where i found some more burnt wires(the fuel pump has been acting funny lately) then i think ill clean the fresh air blower before i put the gas tank back in .

If ya'll have any other things i may need to look at before i put her back together

Same thing happened to me today. I was just going to put in my new turbo tie rods, but then I saw that the fuel lines in front were cracking, so I figured if I'm replacing those I might as well put in a spare stainless tunnel line I had, and I should at least replace the fuel lines to the fuel pump, and the accelerator cable is frayed, so I should replace it with a new one. And since I am only planning to AX this car this year I might as well put back in the small fuel cell, and while I am doing that I'll pop in my new firewall bushing. And I might as well swap out my weltmiester short shift for stock too. Instead of a 1 hour job, I spent all day in my garage! But no complaints, the weather was gorgeous.
clow
Seams to be a common problem with us Teener owners. I started by getting the car out of winter storage and replacing one of the headlight motor relays...it turned into striping some of the interior and now the engine is sitting beside the car. blink.gif

And to be honest, I love it. I enjoy tinkering just as much as driving.

Cheers,

Clow
PanelBilly
It won't be long before your painting it

Twice
Mr.242
Yeup....4 years later I am just not in assembly process having done exactly that.

removed on thing and since I was there did another, which led to the next, and parts to do the third seemed so cheap. Next thing I know it was 4 years.

WOWSERS, good luck beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jesse @ Mar 11 2012, 05:12 PM) *

My first project on my 914 was going to be a simple clutch replacement. That was right after i bought it.

Well, that turned into a two year, down to bare metal restoration that is basically still going on (12 years later) alas the car is now drivable again.
screwy.gif
ClayPerrine
For everyone responding to this...

You are now sufferers of Dirk Wright's Disease. And there is no cure.

euro911
While you have the fuel tank out, check/replace the brake hoses from the reservoir down to the M/C ... and the inlet grommets. My grommets had deteriorated horribly sad.gif (and this was on a new ATE M/C, only 3 years old) blink.gif
cwpeden
Ditto on the brake lines. I'm dealing the same problem myself. 6 years old. Found a puddle of brake fluid on carport floor.
Jesse
should i replace the break lines with metal ones?
euro911
Your choice on replacing the lines and hoses, it depends on their condition. They're not under pressure, but check for leaks IPB Imageand cracks bootyshake.gif

My hoses. lines and fittings were fine, just the M/C's grommets were bad. I ended up installing a new ATE. I bought some new grommets from Pelican and cleaned up the 'old' one ... it's now a spare boxed-up and ready for the next car that needs one.
firstknight13
LOL biggrin.gif then when it's all fixed you then make work on it.... sawzall-smiley.gif screwy.gif Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentthe car was done....then CFR got it for the second time.....as you can see it already was finish painted...LOL
Jesse
thanks Mark, that sounds like an easy fix
bootyshake.gif I'm always on the lookout for cracks ... but usually in the sandbox
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.