Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rim sizing for flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
Looking at a set of rims but I fear they are too large.

I'm installing AutoAtlanta flares, model B914503908GT, which are re-production flares based on the originals.

The web site states using these flares the 914 can accept "7 inch and 8 inch wheels".

I'm looking at a set that are 16x10.

Anyone sized up the the stock flares, are these even close to fitting?

Thanks!
Mike Bellis
16x10 are too big I think. They would fit under my 930 flares (I'm looking for 16x10 or 17x10) but you might have to roll GT flares to make them fit.
SirAndy
QUOTE(-JR- @ Mar 11 2012, 05:17 PM) *
I'm looking at a set that are 16x10.

Since you only have about 10" to work with on a stock rear GT flared car, a 10" rim/tire may fit (if your rims have the perfect offset), but will have no room to move under compression.

I'm running 9" slicks at the track on my car and it's a really tight fit if you take the movement of the tires into account.
shades.gif
IronHillRestorations
If you are getting big wide tires on the rears, the best approach is to put them on the car when you install the flares, so you can massage them as needed in process.
ellisor3
I have 205/45/17 front, 245/45/17 rears, but my rims have custom offsets to fit. Some have commented that they look big, but the amount of empty space makes them look smaller, the type of rim you use will also determine the look. You can see my signature link for photos.
Haudiosolutions
I'm guessing every flare install will come out slightly different but I've managed to squeeze 17x9" and 17x7.5" 944 turbo cup wheels on mine. With a 3/4" wheel adaptor on the rear I have just enough to slip a fat envelope between the tire and flare. Fronts have 1" adaptor and look great.
bam914
15x10 with a 275/35/15 Hoosier. It just fit. More then likely it would have rubbed in a couple of places.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Haudiosolutions @ Mar 11 2012, 06:45 PM) *

I have just enough to slip a fat envelope between the tire and flare

The outside is not the problem. If the tire is too wide, it will rub on the inside under compression.

A 10" wide tire does not leave much room on the inside for movement, even it is really close to the outside lip.

The 9" work OK, if the offset of the wheel is correct.
shades.gif
-JR-
Thanks for all the good feedback guys.

I haven't cut my car to install the flares yet, so there is the possibility for me to extend the flares more to accomodate.

Andy, any word on how your 9" rims work on the front end? Or are you running something smaller up front?

I'd expect the tire/rim might be hitting on the inner fender, same as the rear, with large widths.

zig-n-zag
Some inner fender space is also lost if you have the GT chassis

stiffening plates installed.
carr914
Yes, you can extend the Flares outward - look for Rick's work on the "Nader Nightmare"
SirAndy
QUOTE(-JR- @ Mar 12 2012, 12:19 AM) *
Andy, any word on how your 9" rims work on the front end? Or are you running something smaller up front?

I'd expect the tire/rim might be hitting on the inner fender, same as the rear, with large widths.

The front actually has more room than the rear.
I did have to cut down the dust shield cover for the shocks so the tire wouldn't rub on that and i had to use spacers for my wheels because of their offset.
Do *not* remove the dust cover completely as the top acts as a big washer for the upper strut rubber. Without the cover top, there's nothing holding that rubber in place.

Same wheels/tires front and rear.
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.