Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Six conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
Well, the parts are coming together. I don't know whether this is the most common way, but I started with the engine.

I have a 3.2 motronic engine.
Then I bought the front suspension from an SC with the brakes
Then I bought rear 911 brakes.
Then I bought trailing arms to play around with to make a 911 parking brake set up
Then I bought 5 lug hubs and bearings
Then I bought a side shift transmission

Yesterday I bought a car to go with them. A '72 4 with a thrown rod. Owner was planning on a 3.2 conversion but has to sell instead.

I intend to fabricate an engine mount and also to hammer form and weld the oil tank - I bought the aluminum already. The oil filter will not go in the original location because I don't want to go that complex when I build the tank and besides I don't know where I will want it.

If anyone has dimensions for some of these items that would be really grand.

I want it to look like a 914-4 from the outside, so I plan on the series 9 oil coller set up.

Haven't decided on color - it was originally red, badly resprayed the same color. Probably won't stay red, but maybe. Wide open, but kinda like the extreme colors of the back in the day 914s.
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 12 2012, 08:35 AM) *

Well, the parts are coming together. I don't know whether this is the most common way, but I started with the engine.

Then I bought trailing arms to play around with to make a 911 parking brake set up

Yesterday I bought a car to go with them. A '72 4 with a thrown rod. Owner was planning on a 3.2 conversion but has to sell instead.

I intend to fabricate an engine mount and also to hammer form and weld the oil tank - I bought the aluminum already. The oil filter will not go in the original location because I don't want to go that complex when I build the tank and besides I don't know where I will want it.

I want it to look like a 914-4 from the outside, so I plan on the series 9 oil coller set up.

Haven't decided on color - it was originally red, badly resprayed the same color. Probably won't stay red, but maybe. Wide open, but kinda like the extreme colors of the back in the day 914s.

Hi I"m about to start a 914/6 conversion and have all I need except for the rear engine mount bar? it is getting a 911 sc 3.0 would the stock 914/4 bar work?
Also do I have to modify my shifter linkage?-Phil ...please respond I need direction
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Phil Plummer @ Mar 13 2012, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Mar 12 2012, 08:35 AM) *

Hi I"m about to start a 914/6 conversion and have all I need except for the rear engine mount bar? it is getting a 911 sc 3.0 would the stock 914/4 bar work?
Also do I have to modify my shifter linkage?-Phil ...please respond I need direction

I just did a 3.0L in my conversion and you "could use" the stock 4 bar but there are pre-made mounts that are MUCH better that you weld in! The stock bar is mounted behind the front of the motor and the 3.0L mount is on the front of the motor!

I will give you one that will work on the bar for the cost of shipping but it is not the ideal set up and leaves a lot to be desired! You will still have to make a plate to hold the front of the motor mount that I have and mount it to the bar mounts which are about 6"-7" further back!

PS: You will have to modify the shift rod for the 6! Here is a photo of my modified bar but you can just go with no bends unless you go with the stock 4 bar!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.