Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steer me in the right direction!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hi ho silber
Help,

I've had a new inner tie rod (eyebolt) sitting on the shelf for along time. Today after finishing oil/valve adjustment, thought why not? (big mistake?) headbang.gif

Any of you done this on the car before?

Manual says turn the bellows holder with a hook spanner (currently not part of my tool supply).

Those of you who have done the turbo tie rod thing were you able to turn the eyebolt out without undoing the bellows holder?

This is one of the few things that I have not taken apart during my ownership.

Thanks for any insight pray.gif
Joe Ricard
Basically you just want the thing to loosen. You can use a pipe wrench if all else fails. I managedto get a screw driver (BIG) in the clevis and turn it loose. You did get the tie rod end out of the spindle already right?
hi ho silber
Joe,
Thanks tie rod is off spindle.
Tried big screw driver won't budge. Pipe wrench won't fit in between master cylinder and torsion bar rack.

I've been soaking it in WD-40 for a while I'll try the screw driver method again after dinner.

Thanks!
hi ho silber
Joe,
Thanks again, skipped dinner and used a pry bar to get the eyebolt to turn.

Then used two different screwdrivers, channel locks, vise grips, and sweat to turn the eyebolt 1/4 turn at a time. When it was two threads from being out the bellows holder came loose then every thing turned by hand.

For those that do this later the bellows holder is like a nut that keeps the eyebolt from turning once it's adjusted to the right location.

If I were doing this again once I got the eyebolt to turn I'd loosen the bellows holder then everything "should" come out easy clap56.gif

Out for a test drive in ten minutes!! smilie_pokal.gif
RAR
The angle of that eyebolt is set by using a special jig. I don't know if you can accurately set it by eyeballing it. Maybe it can be done by careful measuring--just a heads up.
type47
http://www.dorkiphus.com/porsche/viewtopic.php?t=1814

if you are replacing with turbo tie rods......

after doing this, i would suggest getting a "drift" or chisel and using it to loosen/unscrew the lock "ring", you are going to trash it anyway. pipe wench.... sorry, pipe wrench or channel locks might also work.
hi ho silber
RAR,
Before I took the other eyebolt off I marked it in relation with a vertical line and the floor. I transfered that mark to the new part and the rest is history.
I saw the jig in the manual. Pretty hard for me to duplicate that and do this with the rack in the car biggrin.gif

Type47 thanks for the link!

Test drive last night went very well!! Steering had a slight vibration now it's rock solid mueba.gif

Thanks to all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.