Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back-dated bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
The car I'm currently working on is a '75 that came with early bumpers (don't know what year they were). I had always suspected that the PO did not install dog bones and confirmed that when I removed the front bumper to install some fog lights.

I just installed front & rear bumpers from a '71 along with dog the bones.

The rear bumper had side-to side alignment issues, but that was corrected by enlarging the mounting holes a little.

As for the front, the rubber bumper top appears to fit fine at the front of the fenders, but there's a noticeable gap at the front of the trunk lid.

What's the trick to eliminating this gap? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
AZ914
If it is as snug up to the fenders as possible, there isn't much you can do. You could possibly remount the eyebrows and the hood slighly at the hinges.. ?
SirAndy
Close your lid ... Looks like it's open ... rolleyes.gif
Jeffs9146
Its too low
TheCabinetmaker
Ha! It does look open. Might not be, but looks like it in the pic.
jsayre914
I know when i mounted my bumper I had to lift up on it while I tightend it so it was in the right place. I actually had to do this because it always sat low like yours in the pic.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 12 2012, 12:37 PM) *

Ha! It does look open. Might not be, but looks like it in the pic.

agree.gif Look at the border between the hood and the lids for the headlights. That's a huge gap there!

The hood is either not closed fully or your hood seal is pushing up the hood ...
popcorn[1].gif
euro911
Funny, Andy slap.gif

I know, it does look like the lid is open, but you can all rest reassured when it's completely closed there's still a gap.

EDIT: Yes, the trunk seal is protruding a little, it's not glued in yet.

Judging from the rear bumper issue, it's definitely possible the PO didn't get the holes for the front right-on either screwy.gif

I'll try readjusting it then, but may need to enlarge/elongate these holes as well dry.gif

Thanks for all the replies.
jmill
Your black car with the tan interior looks great. More pictures of that interior might help us narrow down your hood gap issues. rolleyes.gif
poorsche914
Does your car still have the metal "lip" that the BUB hooked to? That could be interfering. confused24.gif

driving.gif
andys
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Mar 12 2012, 01:02 PM) *

Does your car still have the metal "lip" that the BUB hooked to? That could be interfering. confused24.gif

driving.gif

+1

On a late car you need to trim off the part that hooked the rubber bumper, otherwise it will interfere.

Andys
jim_hoyland
Great looking seats ! smile.gif
MDG
Being a black car and the angle of the photo it's hard to tell but the leading edge of the eyebrows don't look like they line up with the front edge of the fenders either.

One thing I had to do on my green car (also a bumper backdate) was add a washer or two to the bottom bolts throught the dogbones. The bumper tended to hang forward at the top when tightened - so the washers acted like shims and pushed the bottom of the bumper out so it would tighten more to the body at the top.

And yes on the 75-76 'lip' that needs to go away.
euro911
I've heard the lip needs to be cut off of the late cars, but not sure what the lip looks like to determine if it's been cut or not. The car had early bumpers when I got it, just didn't have the dog bones. The bumper top fit a lot closer to the lid without them.

The car was originally black, but I did notice some red paint on the front nose area and both fenders, so it appears that it's had previous metal repairs/replacement. That could possibly account for a misalignment confused24.gif

I'll post some close-up pix when I get to the shop tonight or tomorrow, maybe you guys can see something I'm not aware of.

There's a pic of the tan Interior in the 'what did you do to your 914 today' thread shades.gif
MDG
If the lip was there you'd know what people are referring to - if memory serves it's a good 1/4" that has to be ground flush. The PO may have already done it.

I'm not sure why but like I said my '76 had a similar issue where the bumper initially hung forward at the top.

It's pretty close now; this was before I adjusted the eyebrows and headlight covers.

Click to view attachment

Jeffs9146
Mine looked like that when I first did the conversion and I ended up raising the tops of the holes to lift it higher!

ConeDodger
agree.gif Pull the bumper off and make sure the 'bub' as others have called it has been removed from the top and the sides. Not removing these will hold the early replacement bumper off by a fraction of an inch causing what you are describing.
Lennies914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 12 2012, 05:21 PM) *

agree.gif Pull the bumper off and make sure the 'bub' as others have called it has been removed from the top and the sides. Not removing these will hold the early replacement bumper off by a fraction of an inch causing what you are describing.

"BUB" Big ugly bumpers.
jmill
In the early cars the trunk seal was held in by a 90 degree angle doubled over the seal area. The later cars had a piece welded onto the front panel sticking up. Is this what you guys are talking about?

poorsche914
Yes, that would be it.
euro911
Pulled the bumper back off . Here's what I have:

Front side view - is this the BUB lip?
Click to view attachment

Right side - fender is flush with front ledge)
Click to view attachment

Left side - notice fender protrudes from front ledge a bit)
Click to view attachment

Top left mounting hole - measured from the flat surface directly above the hole
Click to view attachment

Top hole, measured from side - side-to-side fitment is OK, but I included this pic to show the flat surface I measured down from
Click to view attachment

Hope I'm making sense. Are the mounting holes in the correct location (height wise)? confused24.gif
MDG
Here's the only picture I can find of mine before I put the bumpers on and sorry - no measurements.

SirAndy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 12 2012, 07:04 PM) *

Left side - notice fender protrudes from front ledge a bit)
Click to view attachment

That's how it's supposed to be. Your right side looks mangled.

In either case, that small lip should not be the problem. It looks like the PO ground off the BUB lip ...
idea.gif
Jeffs9146
Yep you need to cut the center section out a bit more and bring it up a bit!

I plan on welding up my messed up holes to make it permenent!
euro911
Enlarging the holes allowed me to raise it up a little, but there is still a gap ... smaller though. I'll leave it as is for now, and take more of the BUB lip out in the near future.

There's more pressing issues we need to deal with this week, getting the carbs dialed in, lower the front end, road testing and maybe new tires smile.gif ... the Rt-66 weekend is coming up fast sad.gif

Thanks again for all the assistance beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 12 2012, 11:32 PM) *
Enlarging the holes allowed me to raise it up a little, but there is still a gap ... smaller though. I'll leave it as is for now, and take more of the BUB lip out in the near future.

Still looks like your seal is preventing the hood from closing all the way.

Again, like i said earlier, look at how the hood is much higher than the headlight covers ABOVE the headlights!!!!

The hood should be flush with the headlight covers ...
popcorn[1].gif
Tom
This may help ya.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0bones&st=0
Tom
euro911
Andy, I've mainly been dealing with the mechanical aspects of the car (drive train, brakes, etc.), adjustments to the body parts is new territory for me, but I am learning.

The headlights always made a scraping noise opening and closing, and settled too far down when they were closed. When I removed the headlight assemblies to check things out, found a PO's home made pivot that wasn't quite kosher dry.gif

When installing the correct pivot, I realized there were adjustment capabilities, and at least got the front of the lights to settle in the right place. Moving the mounting pivots up a little does look like it might eliminate the gap between the rear of light covers and trunk lid - I'll play with the adjustment some more.

Also, the brows are bolted in on this car. I understand that they're supposed to be mounted with rubber grommets. Ordered the grommets from Mark.

... and thanks for the link Tom - read through it last night. Good stuff beer.gif

The seats worked out great, Jim ... thanks smile.gif
rick_cv
When I backdated my bumpers I had a similar issue. Ended up pulling the rubber bumper top off and shimming about 3/16 inch in the middle to nothing outside using different thickness washers.
boxstr
It looks like you need to trim off, if you havent yet, the lip just below the front channel for the hood seal.
Also you need to mount the brows with the rubber buttons and you will need to adjust the headlight pivots at the allen head bolts. It is surprising how much adjustment you can get by doing it there.
Looks like you are almost there.
Good luck
Craig at CAMP
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(rick_cv @ Mar 13 2012, 10:52 AM) *

When I backdated my bumpers I had a similar issue. Ended up pulling the rubber bumper top off and shimming about 3/16 inch in the middle to nothing outside using different thickness washers.

agree.gif That's exactly the procedure I had to use.
euro911
agree.gif You're right Craig. I looked at a '74 this evening and can see that the lip remnant needs to go away completely.

I'll get right on it - AFTER the RT-66 ... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.