Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Hi to everyone! How can I obtain COA of my 1975 914 2.0 vin # 4752908923? and how much it will cost? Where can I find other vin numbers from my car?

I got this car last Aug. 2011, the previous owner kept it for around 8 years with last tag of 2003. After getting this car, I both new battery, replaced fuel and vacuum lines and drain fuel tank (I can't believe the fuel tank is very very clean inside with no rust or dirt on the drained fuel). Anyway, currently the car is already running with more items needed to be fix.

Please comment on this car status.

Thank you and God Bless!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
Sea Dragon 914
There is a small plate on the front of the driver's side door jam that has the paint code. Also, I believe there is a VIN number on the passenger front wheel well under the bonnet. I think there is also a chassis number on the passenger side in the rear trunk.
Cairo94507
Call Porsche Cars North America, 1.800.PORSCHE and tell them you want a COA for your car - then send them a check for a $110 or so. I know you get a discount if you are a PCA member, but before you get to excited it is only like a $10 discount. Regardless, it is cool to have a birth certificate for your car.
carr914
Hate to be the Bearer of Bad News, but Be Prepared to be disappointed. CoA's for the last 10+ Years (IMO the Move from Reno to Atlanta) are very Expensive pieces of Paper that are more often than not, Grossly Inaccurate.
Cairo94507
Yeah; but isn't that the truth about almost anything anymore?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Sea Dragon 914 @ Mar 12 2012, 03:58 PM) *

There is a small plate on the front of the driver's side door jam that has the paint code. Also, I believe there is a VIN number on the passenger front wheel well under the bonnet. I think there is also a chassis number on the passenger side in the rear trunk.

Thanks! So far here below are the vin number location i got:

1. Windshield - driver side (standard location)
2. Driver door jam area
3. Front inside trunk passenger side close to fender
4. Front inside trunk wall with the gas tank - a Plate tag
5. Driver door hinges area (small plate tag) but no vin number on it.

How about on engine?

thanks again!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 12 2012, 04:42 PM) *

Hate to be the Bearer of Bad News, but Be Prepared to be disappointed. CoA's for the last 10+ Years (IMO the Move from Reno to Atlanta) are very Expensive pieces of Paper that are more often than not, Grossly Inaccurate.

thanks!
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 12 2012, 04:15 PM) *

Call Porsche Cars North America, 1.800.PORSCHE and tell them you want a COA for your car - then send them a check for a $110 or so. I know you get a discount if you are a PCA member, but before you get to excited it is only like a $10 discount. Regardless, it is cool to have a birth certificate for your car.

Thank you sir!
carr914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 12 2012, 08:33 PM) *

thanks!

They are a Nice Piece of Paper, And they used to provide a lot of useful information as in;
Date of Birth
Interior & Exterior Codes,
Engine #
Transmission #
Delivery Dealer
Options

Now they have;
Month & Year
Exterior Color ( unless you have a 98 & ??)
Interior Color
Engine # ( My -6's number is off by 18)
No Trans #
No Dealer Info ( I was told Lawyer Mandated - Privacy Laws)
Incorrect Options (confused in the computer as 944 Option Codes & nobody cares to clean it up)

I quit buying them after 1. MY 74 Carrera RS failed to come up as even a Carrera, when the numbers were Super Simple and 2. a 914-6 that came back with the Incorrect Interior. I argued, showed them Proof, etc.

And I am a 25 Year PCA Member
racerbvd
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 12 2012, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 12 2012, 08:33 PM) *

thanks!

They are a Nice Piece of Paper, And they used to provide a lot of useful information as in;
Date of Birth
Interior & Exterior Codes,
Engine #
Transmission #
Delivery Dealer
Options

Now they have;
Month & Year
Exterior Color ( unless you have a 98 & ??)
Interior Color
Engine # ( My -6's number is off by 18)
No Trans #
No Dealer Info ( I was told Lawyer Mandated - Privacy Laws)
Incorrect Options (confused in the computer as 944 Option Codes & nobody cares to clean it up)

I quit buying them after 1. MY 74 Carrera RS failed to come up as even a Carrera, when the numbers were Super Simple and 2. a 914-6 that came back with the Incorrect Interior. I argued, showed them Proof, etc.

And I am a 25 Year PCA Member

As a member of the same amount of time, I concur, but some people still want them and believe the COA over an original window sticker and sometimes even the Dealer filled out card..
Click to view attachment
Now, if you plan on showing the car and keeping it original, then you may want to risk it.. But if you have the card above, you are golden..
Tom_T
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 12 2012, 05:32 PM) *

> small plate at A-pillar-Windshield about 1/2 way up

2. Driver door jam area
> L Rear Doorjamb low - VIN Sticker (Compliance Sticker) with VIN & Build Month/Yr. - often missing or painted over if ever repainted (use acetone on Q-tip & slow/patient work to remove over-spray if painted over)

> No - it's stamped into TOP of RF inner wheelhouse inside F trunk (the factory originally left a small spot unpainted for it, but may be painted over later)

> NO - it's a small plate riveted on the inside face of the RF Headlight Box facing into the trunk (should be silver, but may have been painted over later)

> This is usually referred to as the "Karmann Plate" on which the Chassis No. is stamped in the top box & color code on the lower box (originally silver with black background but may have been painted over by now)

> 2nd place for the Chassis No. to be stamped was the floor of the rear trunk back near the rear1/4of the floor at the center to right side - & it should match that on the plate in the LF door jamb (all VIN #s should match up too)

How about on engine?

thanks again!

See inserted notes in your message above.

If the VIN sticker on the LR door jamb is there, use the month/day to pull up a calendar for the year built (late 72 or early 73 for 73 MY). and the Chassis # at the LF door jamb, to translate your actual build day as follows:

WWD95##

WW is week # that year (count even Jan 1 as a week if one day)
D is day of work week M-F = 1-5
95 is Karmann Plant (96 is 95 + 1 for 100's of 914 built that day below)
## is number 914 built that day (add 100 if 96 above)

The color code # on the Karmann Plate below that can be found at the 914info button & the top of the page here, and you can see pix of actual 914s in the original factory colors at: p914.com

Last I heard the COA was $119 & I high likelihood that it will have errors. PM/email me if it does come back in error, & I'll help you get it corrected (it took me 3x & going to their Div. GM, but mine is right now & they shouldn't charge for corrections - but will make YOU do the work).

PCA discount on a COA was $20 AFAIK, but PCA is $50+/- per year, and you'll get 2 P-car magazines a month (Panorama Nat'l. + local Region/Chapter - Cypress could be OCR or GPX in Zone 8), & a bunch of P-car events, plus 20% off parts from dealers - so you'll make out ahead if you go that route IMHO - even if you never go to any events.

So if you want to check out the local OC PCA, drive your 914 down from Cypress to The Block in Orange (City Center Dr. exit North from 22) to the Krispy Kreme parking lot this Sat. at 8:30 - 10-ish am (every 3rd Sat) for our Porsches & Doughnuts outing (open to anyone who comes by BTW). You can meet PCA OCR folks & get a free Pandomonium magazine & member info., and you'll get attention from all the taildragger guys who remember when they had a 914! biggrin.gif

PM/email me if you come down & I'll meet you over there, as I don't always make it.

FYI - if you also have a hole in the front trunk floor (or a patched closed floor now), then judging by your shorty center console, your 914 once had a dealer installed & Porsche+Audi authorized DPD AC unit (there was no factory air from Porsche back then). It would've looked like the pix below when installed....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

welcome.png
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 13 2012, 06:40 PM) *

2. Driver door jam area
> L Rear Doorjamb low - VIN Sticker (Compliance Sticker) with VIN & Build Month/Yr. - often missing or painted over if ever repainted (use acetone on Q-tip & slow/patient work to remove over-spray if painted over)

> No - it's stamped into TOP of RF inner wheelhouse inside F trunk (the factory originally left a small spot unpainted for it, but may be painted over later)

> NO - it's a small plate riveted on the inside face of the RF Headlight Box facing into the trunk (should be silver, but may have been painted over later)

> This is usually referred to as the "Karmann Plate" on which the Chassis No. is stamped in the top box & color code on the lower box (originally silver with black background but may have been painted over by now)

> 2nd place for the Chassis No. to be stamped was the floor of the rear trunk back near the rear1/4of the floor at the center to right side - & it should match that on the plate in the LF door jamb (all VIN #s should match up too)

How about on engine?

thanks again!

If the VIN sticker on the LR door jamb is there, use the month/day to pull up a calendar for the year built (late 72 or early 73 for 73 MY). and the Chassis # at the LF door jamb, to translate your actual build day as follows:

WWD95##

The color code # on the Karmann Plate below that can be found at the 914info button & the top of the page here, and you can see pix of actual 914s in the original factory colors at: p914.com

Last I heard the COA was $119 & I high likelihood that it will have errors. PM/email me if it does come back in error, & I'll help you get it corrected (it took me 3x & going to their Div. GM, but mine is right now & they shouldn't charge for corrections - but will make YOU do the work).

PCA discount on a COA was $20 AFAIK, but PCA is $50+/- per year, and you'll get 2 P-car magazines a month (Panorama Nat'l. + local Region/Chapter - Cypress could be OCR or GPX in Zone 8), & a bunch of P-car events, plus 20% off parts from dealers - so you'll make out ahead if you go that route IMHO - even if you never go to any events.

So if you want to check out the local OC PCA, drive your 914 down from Cypress to The Block in Orange (City Center Dr. exit North from 22) to the Krispy Kreme parking lot this Sat. at 8:30 - 10-ish am (every 3rd Sat) for our Porsches & Doughnuts outing (open to anyone who comes by BTW). You can meet PCA OCR folks & get a free Pandomonium magazine & member info., and you'll get attention from all the taildragger guys who remember when they had a 914! biggrin.gif

PM/email me if you come down & I'll meet you over there, as I don't always make it.

FYI - if you also have a hole in the front trunk floor (or a patched closed floor now), then judging by your shorty center console, your 914 once had a dealer installed & Porsche+Audi authorized DPD AC unit (there was no factory air from Porsche back then). It would've looked like the pix below when installed....

welcome.png

Wow Thanks a lot for those information!!!! I would love to visit the saturday gathering. Please txt me next month so I can join you but not this coming saturday because I believe it is going to rain.

Thank you and God Bless!

noel
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 13 2012, 06:40 PM) *

2. Driver door jam area

How about on engine?

thanks again!

WWD95##

welcome.png

Hi again,

In regards to airconditioning yes my front trunk floor has a cut and my engine still has the compressor.

noel
PBC914
I called on Monday once I saw the $10 discount. It was news to me that they now require proof of ownerhsip which I now have to fax to them and reference my "case #" on the fax to them. So I have to send a copy of the title. What a PITA.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Mar 15 2012, 10:58 AM) *

I called on Monday once I saw the $10 discount. It was news to me that they now require proof of ownerhsip which I now have to fax to them and reference my "case #" on the fax to them. So I have to send a copy of the title. What a PITA.

wow! thanks!
RFoulds
Tom,

nice DPD brochure! Why did they use a cheap plastic face for the shorty console? My factory console face was same material as the sides. ??

Congrats to the new owner ndfrigi. PLEASE change out your shift knob! its not a Honda. smile.gif

and yes, welcome.png
Cairo94507
lol-2.gif av-943.gif True; it is not a Honda.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(Sea Dragon 914 @ Mar 12 2012, 02:58 PM) *

Not to threadjack but wow, Sea Dragon 914 you've been a member for 9 years and that was only your 14th post?!?

Where in NorCal are you, thats quite a list of 914's you got there!
carr914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Mar 15 2012, 06:29 PM) *

Not to threadjack but wow, Sea Dragon 914 you've been a member for 9 years and that was only your 14th post?!?

Knowledge learned years ago vaporized ? Click to view attachment

welcome.png

Sea Dragon 914
Yeah, I've been doing 914s for a long time. I had two kids (one in 1997 and one in 1999) and needless to say I was really busy with them and the cars collected dust. If my count isn't off, I've been through nine 914s since 1983 and I gave other friends the fever as well (one of my buddies owned four over a span of less than 5 years including a special order creamsicle that had a painted targa top from the factory; he had the window sticker and original receipts).

Two of my cars were mothballed for the past 10 years. I've been commuting in my Aubergine car and recently got my track car running again. My bumblebee has been dead in the water since 2002 as it has an electrical short from the relay panel to the fuel pump and I haven't had the time to tinker and fix it (plus I'm not great at electrical stuff).

I used to run a lot of PCA GGR driving events and used to be an Auto-X instructor but then the kids came along (not sure how that happened confused24.gif ). The last competitive event I ran was the 2000 Porsche Parade Auto-X in Sacramento where I won my class. One of my buddies ran my car in the TT series in the early 1990's until he had an accident and lost a few of his fingers). So the race car sat from 1992 until this year. Anyway, the kids are old enough now that I can start spending time on other fun things so I decided to get the cars going again. I got the the track car running a couple months ago and have been taking it out on the weekends when the weather is nice (a few weeks back I was at the San Ramon breakfast in it). Most of the time the track car is up on jack stands.

My next priority is to re-build the Aubergine car. I have most of the parts and am looking for a place to redo my heads. Back in the 90's Lee Hamilton did my head work. I'll be contacting him in the next few weeks to see if he'd be willing to do another couple of sets of heads for me. If not, I'll have to find someone else.

I'd like to get the car repainted when I have the engine out so I need to find someone to re-paint it. I'm hoping to have the Aubergine car done by the end of summer. I haven't figured out when I'm going to start working on the bumblebee again. It has been buried under a lot of stuff and I've been slowly digging it out.

Anyway, I want to get active again with the 914s. One of my old race buddies recently bought a tube framed 914 race car (Bill Pickering's 914 race car; I think it is an SCCA GT4 class car) and I was up a Sears with him in December. That inspired me to get back into the cars.

I'm in Pleasant Hill so if you hear a loud type IV bombing around town and you see either an oxidized Aubergine car or Orange 914 with blue race numbers and a variety of sticker on it, it's me.

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Mar 15 2012, 03:29 PM) *

Where in NorCal are you, thats quite a list of 914's you got there!

JeffBowlsby
Hi Richard...glad you resurfaced.

wavey.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.