Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any ideas on how to re-create this tail pipe baffle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
Per the attached pic, anyone have any ideas on how to recreate the baffle shown inside this GT tail pipe? Click to view attachment

I guess I could make a few very small stand offs on the outside of some perferated pipe, then drill some holes and plug weld it from the outside of the tail pipe. Getting the lip clean will not be fun...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott S @ Mar 12 2012, 03:41 PM) *

Hi All -
Per the attached pic, anyone have any ideas on how to recreate the baffle shown inside this GT tail pipe?

I guess I could make a few very small stand offs on the outside of some perferated pipe, then drill some holes and plug weld it from the outside of the tail pipe. Getting the lip clean will not be fun...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
beerchug.gif

Older Beetle tailpipes have a similar insert. Not sure of the diameter on those, but there are also aftermarket pipes for the beetle that are larger with the same style insert.

Useless trivia:
That oh so familiar high pitch "whining" sound you hear from a old beetle exhaust comes from those inserts!
They work themselves lose over time and start to rotate and vibrate in the pipes causing the whiny noise.

smash.gif
McMark
I suspect that those are press fit installed.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 12 2012, 04:52 PM) *
I suspect that those are press fit installed.

You are correct ... Which is part of the reason they come lose over time ... smile.gif
wingnut86
$30 cheese grater from Kohls. Strip the stainless grate away from the frame and handle. Weld the 2 long ends together and tap sown an old wooden bat to straighten the piece and clean the bats surface;-)

Weld the end cap of an aluminum coke can to one end and drill out the excess center. Jam the baffle into the pipe, tack weld and go.

The shit we used to do in 70's seemed so cool, and almost as legal
beer.gif
jmill
So in the 70's you could weld aluminum to stainless? smoke.gif

I did see some guy at the local wood show gas welding up holes in aluminum cans but even he had a different rod for steel.

wingnut86
In the 70's, the cans weren't aluminum biggrin.gif
7TPorsh
Tailpipes on a Ford Flex look similar,
r_towle
a small hole punch and alot of patience.

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.