Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass bumpertops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mikey914
As many of you have noticed Morph and I have teamed up to help with the distribution of Aperance and Performance products. This is not new news.

The news is why-

James is very good at producing high quality fiberglass parts. He to enjoys the developement of new parts. Fiberglass bumpertops have been on his radar for some time. The problem has allways been that with the day to day operations he was only able to devote small amounts of time to making new stuff. The game plan now is for us to catch up on the airdams and the other mics stuff that he has going and work on some new items.

The fiberglass bumpertops is a logical progression for both of us. Yes, I make the rubber ones, and they are of good quality, but if you could get a part that looks the same, and that could be painted to match your car if you wish.

We have procured a sample part of the previously produced part and have noted some deficiencies that can be improved upon. I wanted to post this 1st to give you a heads up this is comming, and it will be significantly less expensive than it was before. We will do a group buy to launch it when we have it finalized.

The theme here is we have plans to produce some other much needed parts that will be an excellent value. I know mwny of you were worried that I was taking over AP Products or that it would restrict the availability of parts he is allready producing, or drive prices up. We have raised some prices, for example the door panels. They were $90. The new price is $105, so why the extra $15? The panels now come with the metal clips mounted for the upper door panel, they also come pre routed for the push clips that retain them to the doors, as well as the cut outs for the door handles. In addition to this, we include the metal strip that you cann use to mount the upper bolster lower section and the top of the standard pannel, for both doors predrilled.

Worth the extra $15?

We have big plans, these are just the start.

So, if your interested in the bumper tops you can let us know here if we're on target. We'll convert this thread to a group buy when we get them up and running. Target is 4-6 weeks, mainly I need to wrap up a few items that I'm working on too. So we wanted to let you all know what we're up to.

Thanks to all
Krieger
Hooray! I need a pair.
bfrymire
+1
gothspeed
I like the sound of those new door panels!!! I need a set!!! beer.gif
FlatIV
I would like a set, please.

Andrew
messix
i want, but wont be able to buy this year!
Lennies914
Definatly interested!

What a great team beerchug.gif
shoguneagle
You two match perfectly in providing increased products and services for the 914. I know the highest quality and best service will come from this jointing of two top 914 suppliers/manufacturers.

Steve
Black914_4
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 12 2012, 08:57 PM) *

The fiberglass bumpertops is a logical progression for both of us. Yes, I make the rubber ones, and they are of good quality, but if you could get a part that looks the same, and that could be painted to match your car if you wish.

How much are the fiberglass bumpertops going to run compaired to the rubber ones?
Mikey914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 12 2012, 05:09 PM) *

I like the sound of those new door panels!!! I need a set!!! beer.gif

Got the door panels here -http://shop.914rubber.com/category.sc?categoryId=15
Mikey914
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 12 2012, 05:47 PM) *

How much are the fiberglass bumpertops going to run compaired to the rubber ones?

Significantly less, the amount will depend on some of the production questions we will need to iron out.
scooterseattle
I don't need new tops, but I really like the idea of the fiberglass tops painted to match the car.

Anyone have a pic of a car with painted to match tops as a reference?
pilothyer
I would be in for at least one set of F & R for a start..................Jerry
Black914_4

QUOTE(scooterseattle @ Mar 12 2012, 10:53 PM) *

I would like to see a pic of them also.

If they look good and they are significantly less then rubber I would be interested.
My car is headed to the paint shop in the next week or so. I would have to make a second trip to the paint shop but if it looks good AND cheaper......
whatabout1
A could use a rear bumper top.
Mr.242
I like it! I'm thinking painting them black would work too.
arvcube
I am interested in a set. thank you
ThinAir
I'm interested in a set of FG bumper tops
effutuo101
Count me in for a front fiberglass top.
arkitect
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Mar 12 2012, 07:49 PM) *

I like it! I'm thinking painting them black would work too.

I like the idea of painting them flat black. Add me to the list - front and back.

Dave
JamesM
I could use front and rear
ruby914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 12 2012, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 12 2012, 05:47 PM) *

Significantly less, the amount will depend on some of the production questions we will need to iron out.

I have molds for both front and back bumper tops. I was sitting on them until I lost my real job. Fair game, I have done nothing with them for too long.
If you make it back down to the hood, you may want to stop by, check them out and compare notes.
Mine have held up well for 4 or 5 years. There is one place I think needs extra support or it may loose its shape over time.
I will try to talk to you soon.

Here is one painted black.
ruby914

And the back
Germancar-Junkie
Need 1 set also. Depending on price, maybe 2.
Mikey914
Thanks Ruby,
James and I had discussed the area you spoke of, and yes it needs reinforcement.

As far as color, we planned to shoot a black Gel coat into the mold so they would come out black. They could easily be painted over and would have enough structure to be sanded smooth if desired.

Black914_4
"factory black" sounds awesome.
It would match the factory rubber as a direct replacement. Plus my car is already black! :-)
Als914
Click to view attachment

I have the front and back F/G top pads but am not happy with the quality but I am happy with the durability. I am looking to replace with a quality set so as soon as you produce them and I will buy a set. Please post some pic's when you can.
Beach914
I'd be in for a set.
balljoint
I would like a set. Will they be labelled so I don't mix them up? I already have enough trouble figuring out which door I'm supposed to get in.
Black914_4
Als914, Yours looks good painted white. It does look a little wavy across the top. Illusion or are they wavy?
Mikey914
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 13 2012, 12:31 PM) *

I would like a set. Will they be labelled so I don't mix them up? I already have enough trouble figuring out which door I'm supposed to get in.

Don't worry you can't mix them up they are completely different.

Yes, the waves are real. That's part of the problem with they way they were originally made. We will be addressing that issue.
jim_hoyland
Great to hear you are taking this on. The fiberglass tops look so much better.Plus being able to paint really inhances the 914 appearance.

What's the possibility of making a front top modified to fit the headlight squirters ? Like the original Finnish 914's... smile.gif
stugray
I would be interested. Two questions:

1 - How much lighter are they than the stock ones?

2 - Once you have the mold, couldn't you also make some in Carbon Fiber?
With a clear gel coat and smart layout, the CF ones would look awesome.

Stu
Mikey914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 13 2012, 05:11 PM) *

Great to hear you are taking this on. The fiberglass tops look so much better.Plus being able to paint really inhances the 914 appearance.

What's the possibility of making a front top modified to fit the headlight squirters ? Like the original Finnish 914's... smile.gif

I'm sure they could be modified, drop me a picture and I'll take a closer look. All I remember was there was a cut out, and I think these could be modified to accomidate those.

A close up of the bumper picture would help (installed). It sure looks like these could easily be added to the bumper by drilling holes and mounting. I looked at the other thread on the options to see what the bases looked like.
Mikey914
QUOTE(stugray @ Mar 13 2012, 05:21 PM) *

I would be interested. Two questions:

1 - How much lighter are they than the stock ones?

2 - Once you have the mold, couldn't you also make some in Carbon Fiber?
With a clear gel coat and smart layout, the CF ones would look awesome.

Stu

1- will be about 3-3.5lbs lighter

2- Yes it's possible, only a matter of price. To lay down the mat and make it look good takes time and a bunch of messing around to make them look good. Your price would be significantly more, but yes I could shoot you some numbers once the design is finalized.

Als914
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Mar 13 2012, 03:41 PM) *

Als914, Yours looks good painted white. It does look a little wavy across the top. Illusion or are they wavy?

They definately are wavy and that's what I don't like. Also the curved edge that fits to the body does not have a finished look. A finished lip would be an added plus to the over all Look and might help reduce the wavyness.
effutuo101
What is the time frame that these would be available?
Mikey914
within 8 weeks.
ruby914
QUOTE(Als914 @ Mar 13 2012, 06:21 PM) *

They definately are wavy and that's what I don't like. Also the curved edge that fits to the body does not have a finished look. A finished lip would be an added plus to the over all Look and might help reduce the wavyness.

It looks like that bumper was supported at each wave.
The way I made mine had no support and over 5 years I noticed it had pulled down about 1/8" .
From the looks of it I like the uniform shrinkage better.

I don't know what your lip looked like when you got it. Most F/G parts need some finish work. To thicken the lip you can add body filler to the back side but that will not do much in the way of support.
A bead of fiber glass rope glassed into the back of the top edge would thicken and support. Over time that may shrink some too.
Als914
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Mar 14 2012, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Als914 @ Mar 13 2012, 06:21 PM) *

It looks like that bumper was supported at each wave.
The way I made mine had no support and over 5 years I noticed it had pulled down about 1/8" .
From the looks of it I like the uniform shrinkage better.

I don't know what your lip looked like when you got it. Most F/G parts need some finish work. To thicken the lip you can add body filler to the back side but that will not do much in the way of support.
A bead of fiber glass rope glassed into the back of the top edge would thicken and support. Over time that may shrink some too.

Ruby914, I like the look of your front and rear top's...they have a very even /smooth look to them. Maybe it's the thickness of the F/G you lay'ed down that reduced the shinkage.
Mikey914
The key is more internal structure to support the gaps
maf914
Mark,

I think this is a great idea. You keep cranking out the 914 products. Teaming up with Morph (James) is a great move.

I had tries to purchase a pair of FG tops from Carl Rudolph but I assume they never got back into production and were nonresponsive to my emails. Count me in for a pair when you call for the group buy.
zig-n-zag
I'm interested in 1 set, possibly 2.
scooterseattle
QUOTE(scooterseattle @ Mar 12 2012, 06:53 PM) *

I don't need new tops, but I really like the idea of the fiberglass tops painted to match the car.

Well, funny story....I already have a rear fiberglass top. smile.gif

I bought the car last year and drove it for a month before it went into the shop. It's been in the shop for 3 1/2 months. I will have a lot to learn about this car when it gets out on Friday. smile.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(scooterseattle @ Mar 14 2012, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(scooterseattle @ Mar 12 2012, 06:53 PM) *

Well, funny story....I already have a rear fiberglass top. smile.gif

I bought the car last year and drove it for a month before it went into the shop. It's been in the shop for 3 1/2 months. I will have a lot to learn about this car when it gets out on Friday. smile.gif

Welcome.
Yes, 914s can be a learning experience. But the more you learn and the less you have to pay someone else to turn a wrench the more fun you'll have. Hope it will be out of the shop without being too spendy. There are pleanty of 914 guys in your area, and even a few drives, and get togethers. Lots of experience in the group here and some great people.

But there is a dark side...........
It starts with just finding a few extra parts at a great price so you have to buy them, next it's setting up a shelf in the garage for your parts stash, before you know it you'll have to get a parts car because it's such a good deal.

Unfortunately, there is no 12 step program. But it is a lot of fun!

Enjoy!
scooterseattle
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 14 2012, 05:17 PM) *

Welcome.
Yes, 914s can be a learning experience. But the more you learn and the less you have to pay someone else to turn a wrench the more fun you'll have. Hope it will be out of the shop without being too spendy. There are pleanty of 914 guys in your area, and even a few drives, and get togethers. Lots of experience in the group here and some great people.

It starts with just finding a few extra parts at a great price so you have to buy them, next it's setting up a shelf in the garage for your parts stash, before you know it you'll have to get a parts car because it's such a good deal.

Enjoy!

Oh, I am well aware of the dark side. wink.gif
This 914 is new to me, but I am very familiar with the parts accumulation concept. I've been in the Porsche scene for quite a while now...mostly in the early 911 department. I know a few 914 guys in the Seattle area and I'm looking forward to meeting more. Maybe even some Oregon guys? smile.gif
jimkelly
pelican sells ( OR USED TO SELL? ) an entire fiberglass front or rear bumper for $227 each from QRS ??

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...s_pg1.htm#item3

i assume though that fiberglass bumpers are really intended for track use only.
Mikey914
Fiberglass bumpers would carry that disclaimer. These are tops, so they are cosmetic only. They are not a structural item. The bumpers I believe you are referring to are the full part top and bottom.
Krieger
The timing on these is perfect. I was going to have to figure something out in the next couple of months. Thanks again.
effutuo101
QUOTE(scooterseattle @ Mar 14 2012, 10:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 14 2012, 05:17 PM) *

Welcome.

Enjoy!

Oh, I am well aware of the dark side. wink.gif
This 914 is new to me, but I am very familiar with the parts accumulation concept. I've been in the Porsche scene for quite a while now...mostly in the early 911 department. I know a few 914 guys in the Seattle area and I'm looking forward to meeting more. Maybe even some Oregon guys? smile.gif
welcome.png and welcome to the wet dark side of the PNW. we have a thread for the PNW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.