Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where can I get the original paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Here in the Bay Area I am told that single stage original paint is not available due to VOC.

Is this just a Bay Area thing...is it available anywhere else nearby? Sacramento...Modesto...Santa Rosa? Nevada?

I am being told that 2 stage with a clear coat is all I can do...I hope there are other options.

What advice can you give me?

I wish PanelMaster Rick O was nearby... sad.gif Ouch.
Mike Bellis
Nevada is my guess. They still let you spray Diesel on dirt roads to keep dust down. You may have to go outside the 2 major cities to find it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 12 2012, 09:54 PM) *

Here in the Bay Area I am told that single stage original paint is not available due to VOC.

As far as i know, the original paint was *not* single stage!

When i had my car repainted, i ordered the paint directly from Porsche in Germany. It was very expensive.

The shop here in CA did a single stage repaint, and the paint (quality, thickness, hardness) was *nothing* like the original paint that came on the car.

I don't believe you can get the exact "original" paint anymore these days. It seems, original paint was much harder, thicker and durable.

dry.gif
JeffBowlsby
I am thinking it was a single stage enamel?

Primer/color/no clear coat
Bleyseng
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 13 2012, 03:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 12 2012, 09:54 PM) *

As far as i know, the original paint was *not* single stage!

When i had my car repainted, i ordered the paint directly from Porsche in Germany. It was very expensive.

The shop here in CA did a single stage repaint, and the paint (quality, thickness, hardness) was *nothing* like the original paint that came on the car.

I don't believe you can get the exact "original" paint anymore these days. It seems, original paint was much harder, thicker and durable.

dry.gif

I can believe that the "quality" is a difference but thickness? Depends on how much is sprayed on or rather how many coats of paint. I use a Mipa auto paint to paint the cabinets and its a really nice German paint that uses a hardener and smelly thinners unlike the USA stuff I have used. It dries rock hard and is scratch resistant too so its perfect for cabinet doors.
Did Porsche use or even have HVLP spray guns back then? With them you can really load on the paint and build up the millage quickly.
So Jeff, what happened?

I would get some quality single stage from outside of California to fix that.
scotty b
O.E. was single stage, and Porsche continued to use it through the 90's on some models ( why some, I do not understand) Over here on the right coast it is getting harder to find. I am one of only 2 shops in Richmond that can still shoot it. Not can due to regulations, but can due to the fact that no one ever learned how to at other shops. I have a customer with a 993 thatinsists on single stage, and NONE of the collision shops in town will do it, so I have a customer for life now smile.gif If you need, I MAY be able to get it and ship it to you, but it won't be cheap, and the shipping may be problematic due to the " hazardous chemical " issue
TheCabinetmaker
Single stage is abundant here in Okieland.
mrbubblehead
here too. i just bought a half gallon of ppg olympic blue single stage paint.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 13 2012, 02:24 AM) *

I am thinking it was a single stage enamel?

Primer/color/no clear coat

Outside of the single stage discussion, I wonder if that description of how Porsche painted their cars applies to the 914. For example I find it hard to believe that given you have something such as the heater tubes sealed up inside of the longitudinals that they dipped the entire body in a phosphoric acid bath? But maybe they did.

Wasn't that dip process used on the later 911s and not the 914s?

Richard
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 13 2012, 06:09 AM) *

O.E. was single stage, and Porsche continued to use it through the 90's on some models ( why some, I do not understand) Over here on the right coast it is getting harder to find. I am one of only 2 shops in Richmond that can still shoot it. Not can due to regulations, but can due to the fact that no one ever learned how to at other shops. I have a customer with a 993 thatinsists on single stage, and NONE of the collision shops in town will do it, so I have a customer for life now smile.gif If you need, I MAY be able to get it and ship it to you, but it won't be cheap, and the shipping may be problematic due to the " hazardous chemical " issue

A friend of mine is opening the Fisker plant in Newport DE. It is being run by a Swedish company that I can't pronounce. He said they make many of the Porsche models as well. So cars are often outsourced to factories around the world. Different factories are probably set up to paint differently.
rick 918-S
Is that your car Jeff! yikes.gif Yes your car is single stage. And any of you that think your factory paint is base/clear just find a place that is inconspicious. Take a piece 1000 grit wet/dry sand paper and a spray bottle of water and lightly sand the spot. You will see color on your paper no white water like you'll see when you sand clearcoat.

To your question, I think you just need to shop outside your area Jeff. And be careful. Black is not black. Some are redder and some are greener. It DOES make a difference. Be sure to find a place that has the correct formula for your YMM.

Here's what I found locally. I could not get single stage paint in the type of paint I wanted to use. For instances. I use DuPont. always have, always will. I'm like an old dog. I just like my old tricks. I could only get single stage for the Ravenna car in Imron. It's a fleet paint for the trucking industry. It's very tricky to spray and not the easiest to buff and spot repair. I has a pint mixed, sprayed it out. The store I use has a color correcting camera that will take a photo of the paint and give you a formula that should be close enough to match as a blend in finish over the existing color. I then have them convert the formula to single stage urothane. I did the same thing for the Raspberry car. I could only get the single stage in Centari. Old school enamel. I had some mixed, and spray out a test panel and had a new formula made.

BTW: sorry to see your dent. sad.gif I may be out there for the WCR idea.gif smash.gif shades.gif )
Andyrew
I can get single stage in modesto.

You can order anything online as well.

However it looks like from that script they used single stage enamel, Not sure you can get that here in modesto. I went with single stage urethane on my paint job and on the black cop car which I got from TCPglobal.com, I used the best local shop to paint Peters car the green he wanted (which was a waterbased color but we went single stage urethane to keep cost down, but that paint was horrible and we had a heck of a time getting it to turn out.

Did some searching on tcpglobal.com's website for their color library, back in 56 they offered schwarz black. Not sure if its the same as their 74 formula...

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/...orsche-pg02.jpg
Type in schwarz black in the paint name and enter and you'll see the paint pricing. You only need a quart max (probably end up spraying a pint on the panel or less, then I think the ratio is 4-1-1 (paint, reducer, hardner)

Eric_Shea
was *nothing* like the original paint that came on the car.

I have a theory on that with regard to all factory finishes. The pre and post spray processes determine the hardness and durability of a factory finish. Baking can do wonders for the finish durability.
SLITS
We know where there is a supply of original paints. Whether they are good or not is the question. They have been in storage for many years and we have not opened a can to look at it.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks for all the great responses all.

Andrew...Who is the good painter in Modesto you can recommend?

Is the 1-stage urethane the way to go now if enamel is not available?

Rick...I would dig it big time for a 914 brother of your skill to work magic on this...Maybe it would pay for your trip...but you would be here to play, not work and I wouldn't want to impose.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 13 2012, 03:02 PM) *

Thanks for all the great responses all.

Andrew...Who is the good painter in Modesto you can recommend?

Is the 1-stage urethane the way to go now if enamel is not available?

Rick...I would dig it big time for a 914 brother of your skill to work magic on this...Maybe it would pay for your trip...but you would be here to play, not work and I wouldn't want to impose.

Yes, the single stage urethane is far better, more durable and repairable than enamel. Chemically dries The trick is getting your code. But Black should be easiest. I'm on the fence about coming the the WCR. It's one week before my sons wedding. I have to play it as it comes. But as far as calling what I do work? Nay, it's actually fun to see how things move back into place.
Ferg
sad.gif sorry Jeff.
Tom_T
Jeff, Calif's CARB has outlawed all of the old school solvent based paints used here in state by the bigger shops in quantity - or even for ordering it into CA delivery.

My buddy with the original Bahia Red 71 /4 wanted about a pint of solvent based original single stage paint (that's done in multi-coats for SirAndy poke.gif biggrin.gif ) to be shipped to a detailer here in OC to airbrush out a fender/wheellip stucco scrape he did pushing it in his garage. blink.gif

The detailer couldn't order it. Had Jerry known, he'd have had them ship it to his brother in AZ & get it from him when he comes over to CA! dry.gif

Sekkends, Glasurit & some others were OEM suppliers who still make the OEM type of solvent based paints (both in colors & metallics), but you'd have to have it shipped to a buddy out of CA, then have them get it to you.

Of note - aside from material differences in water-based vs. solvent-based - after time if you're trying to match an older paint color (even black & white), apparently the mix codes won't match up exactly, and most of the local CW detailers around here recco having it actually color matched at the paint supplier of choice with their "gun" & order it that way, and even then do a color match.

I'm sure guys like Scotty B, Rick, etc. know how to do this for you too.

If you're respraying the whole car, then it's not as much of a problem to match.

Here's a good paint topic on here FYI -
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=39488&st=0

& Glasurit:
http://color-online.glasurit.com/?language=8
https://www.basfrefinish.com/cgi-bin/capbsm...httpsredirect=Y

....& for those outside of the USA -
http://www.glasurit.com/languages

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
ConeDodger
I pick up paint here in Reno for a shop in California. I am not naming the shop but I am told they can legally USE it but cannot buy it in California. Not sure what else is available though. For all you have done for me and others here in 914World Jeff, I would gladly pick up paint for you. If you cannot find a shop to squirt it, there are a couple I could recommend here in Reno...
tod914
Jeff, I have a Glausurit dealer here in NJ that's very accomodating. He has single stage. Pricey compared to other good brands. You could send him out a headlight cover to match to. Guess that is the closest you'll get to the original baked enamel finish. Let me know if you need his info. So sorry to see the Bee with a dent sad.gif
Side note, I asked Patterak about single vs. two stage some time back to address some issues on my previous red car. Single is very very difficult to blend. You would have to panel paint it to make it look right. He fixed one fender perfectly, the other in the right light, you could see where the orginal paint stopped and the new began. Maybe Scotty or Rick can point you in the right direction.
tod914
nm they already did by the time I posted.
chrispy
When we painted my daughters car two years ago, we got two stage paint that wasn't available in our "Air Quality District". We had to go to a paint shop in Sonora to get it. I found a Russian guy who works at a paint shop down in Fresno who paints cars on the side (His boss lets him do side work at the shop).
He did a beautiful job (made my body work look really bad). He has done many jobs for my dealer friend in Sunnyvale. Most were body and paint under $2000
Let me know if your interested and I'll dig up his phone number for you.
Good luck, Chris
Eric_Shea
I have to play it as it comes. But as far as calling what I do work? Nay, it's actually fun to see how things move back into place.

How about a metal working clinic at WCR?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.