Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to get rid of old gas? Tank Prep?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
The 914 has been sitting for a few years.... has about a half tank of old premium fuel guessing around 5 years old.

Drain tank into gas cans, but whats the best way to get rid of it? I got no lawn mower to feed it to... and letting it evaporate isnt exactly EPA friendly lol.

Fuel lines and carbs -
how much fun am I going to have cleaning all this out?

Best practices on cleaning lines and tank?

Fun fun fun....
r_towle
dump gas, replace lines, soak injectors in Tektron overnight.

If the tank is not to rusted I just put about 1/2 a gallong of laquer thinner in there with a small 2 foot piece of chain.
Cover the top with duct tape and start shaking it around to get all the loose sludge mixed into the thinner...the chain is to get the rust loose.
Chain is easier to get back out than loose nuts and bolts or rocks...

For the fuel, evaporation is the easiest, but in your state there should be a hazerdous waste drop off you will need to use.

Rich
Rand
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 13 2012, 01:52 PM) *

Drain tank into gas cans, but whats the best way to get rid of it?

Molitov cocktails. blowup.gif
rmital
I'm sure I'm not the first to say...Aaron Cox, it's been a while.
last time we spoke it was about engineering school...or maybe you were finishing up with school? Civil's a little slow out here on the East Coast, Strutural stuff is very busy.....hope all is well, and your not getting your 914 running again to sell it!
SLITS
Mix the old gas about 2:10 and burn it in your daily driver. Disposal is costly.

choke, cough, sputter ....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 13 2012, 02:12 PM) *

Mix the old gas about 2:10 and burn it in your daily driver. Disposal is costly.

choke, cough, sputter ....

Ron-
Thought about that.... slowly but surely get rid of it...gummy fuel...Doesn't sound like a fantastic idea...

hmmm...
AZ914
I dunno about Kalifornia, but here we can just bring it to the hazardous waste place and hand it over. (where we take old engine oil etc).
Eric_Shea
Take it over to Riverslime and...

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(rmital @ Mar 13 2012, 02:09 PM) *

I'm sure I'm not the first to say...Aaron Cox, it's been a while.
last time we spoke it was about engineering school...or maybe you were finishing up with school? Civil's a little slow out here on the East Coast, Strutural stuff is very busy.....hope all is well, and your not getting your 914 running again to sell it!

E-school to E-job, now E-job and B-skool.

Nah, it's a keeper smile.gif

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 13 2012, 02:39 PM) *

Take it over to Riverslime and...

IPB Image

Hmmmm... it'd probably be deemed a crackhead/methlab fire anyway smile.gif
McMark
In Napa, you can dispose of household hazardous waste for free at the dump (actually a special building on the dump grounds).
Aaron Cox
good call mark. I think some of the neighborhood cities have a hazardous waste program...
matthepcat
It would be great if someone made a kit to put a bladder in the factory gas tank.....or better yet a not extremely expensive replacement tank for street use.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Mar 13 2012, 03:35 PM) *

It would be great if someone made a kit to put a bladder in the factory gas tank.....or better yet a not extremely expensive replacement tank for street use.

a cool 2k, and you can...

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/214/
IPB Image
zymurgist
I would use it to bring my brush bonfire up to speed.
balljoint
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 13 2012, 06:17 PM) *

In Napa, you can dispose of household hazardous waste for free at the dump (actually a special building on the dump grounds).

agree.gif Siphon and dispose of properly.

Or use it to kill the weeds in your father in law's gravel driveway. unsure.gif
MDG
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 13 2012, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 13 2012, 06:17 PM) *

agree.gif Siphon and dispose of properly.

Or use it to kill the weeds in your father in law's gravel driveway. unsure.gif

Unless he goes out front every night for an after dinner cigar.

Right, Dave?
matthepcat
Yea, and as far as I know the only one on the market to fit in the factory location.

Maybe work with a fuel cell manufacturer to group buy cells that fit our cars?

Probably not enough demand.

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 13 2012, 03:37 PM) *

IPB Image

g911
Run it through your daily driver 2:10 or less. As long as you are using it for its intended purpose it isn't considered a hazardous waste. It is a hazardous material, just not a waste. Get 7 friends and give them all a gallon.
mikea100
I poured 9 year old gas into my wifes Q7 that's under warranty and has road side assistance. I told her that if car stalls or won't start call Audi road side assistance and tell them that you have bad gas. Nothing happened, though.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 13 2012, 02:37 PM) *

IPB Image

Don't you have to replace those bladders every ~5 years?
I'd LOVE an alumn or stainless replacement tank, the I wouldn't be scared about running 1/2 tanks of fuel (to keep the E10 fuel from going bad) and having the tank rust.

Hey, triumph, mg, and jag owners get good priced stainless tanks, why not us?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.