Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing dog teeth
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I now have an H gear (yay!) and it has well worn dog teeth on it. The tranny rebuilding bible (Red-Beard's article) shows a special expensive looking tool. It then says there are ways to get around using it that will be addressed later, but I don't see them in the article. Does anyone have any proven methods, or should I just make something like the special tool?
DNHunt
Damn hard to get dog teeth from a dog, harder to get cat teeth from a cat. (A cat's mouth is the only thing dirtier tan peoples mouths).

Sorry no help on tranny teeth. (At least I don't think so.)

Dave biggrin.gif
jmargush
If you aren't going to reuse the dog teeth you can drill into them and then smack the holes with a cold chisel to brake it then it will come off. to pu tit back on pu the gear in the freezer( to shrink it) and heat the new dog teeth up (to enlarge it) then asemble the two.
bob174
I've got the tool--I'll be happy to loan it to you if you like. It'd be a bitch to get them out without it. It's currently loaned out to one of my friends locally, but I could get it back in a couple days... You cover the shipping...
bondo
QUOTE(bob174 @ Sep 20 2004, 10:04 AM)
I've got the tool--I'll be happy to loan it to you if you like. It'd be a bitch to get them out without it. It's currently loaned out to one of my friends locally, but I could get it back in a couple days... You cover the shipping...

That'd be awesome! smilie_pokal.gif I won't need it until I get all 6 of my transmssions apart, so don't rush the current loanee. Once I get all the gears slated for dog teeth removal in a pile (a few weeks?) I'll borrow it, so I can get it back to you right away.
fiid
QUOTE(bob174 @ Sep 20 2004, 09:04 AM)

I would use the tool. I have one you can borrow if you are close to SF. The tool makes it so ridiculously easy to get these things off - you just slap it in a vice with a couple of blocks and squeeze it off. Happy happy joy joy.
bondo
Hmm, that's much closer smile.gif Maybe we could arrange a relay through jkeyzer? I often stop by his place on my way to Sacramento. I could even bring the gears and press them off at his place smile.gif
Red-Beard
Put the gear in a vise (sideways) and pry and rotate, pry and rotate.

The "expensive" tool is $72. You could buy it and re-sell it on ebay. If you have extra tranny cases, you can make the alignment tool by cutting the section out of the tranny with the bearing races. sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.