Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Top!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I saw this teener for sale on Craiglist in Georgia. It has been modified with no Targa top. This teener would be better served in the West because of limited rainfall. Here in Georgia we always have those pesky popup thunderstorms in the spring and summer. I guess the motor noise would be an issue too.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/2877375353.html
abnrdo
Ow my ears! How does the body react to that kind of modification? More flex? How about the airflow through the engine compartment?

screwy.gif
PBC914
Not too mention the most critical safety feature of the car protecting the occupants has been removed.
JStroud
Have to admit I kinda like the look, definitely a car that only sees sunny days.

Jeff
914itis
What a waste!
TravisNeff
The rake of the windshield needs to be fixed for it to look better.
ripper911
Someone next to where I work was talking about this car, but not having a top makes him not want to buy it.
blitZ
I've seen this car in person, it's nicely done. However, I wouldn't buy it.
TurbOH Brad
The targa bar isn't really that structural. It's just plopped on top of the chassis, and half of them are rotten anyway.

I don't see why this would affect air cooling to the engine, the fan would take care of that.

All of that being said, I'm not sure I would do that without cutting the windshield frame also to make it a 914 Speedster... lol.
rwilner
Seems like a lot of effort and expense to remove a functional/safety feature for absolutely no benefit.

do not want
Tom_T
Now that's a "whack job" ..... in more ways than one! biggrin.gif
tracks914
Just not my style.
Black914_4
Worse part is going to be the wind. I had a boxster and the wind blows straight forward into the cab. Was always blowing crap into my eyes untill I made my own windscreen.
914 comes with factory windscreen (ie backglass/rollbar)
bandi
I like this: "Yes the car has rust, rust free these sell for 15-25,000$"

SirAndy
QUOTE(TurbOH Brad @ Mar 15 2012, 10:59 AM) *
The targa bar isn't really that structural. It's just plopped on top of the chassis

What ... have you been smoking?
confused24.gif

Have you ever seen the aftermath of a rolled-over 914?
popcorn[1].gif

Without the targa bar, you would not be able to walk away from that alive ...
shades.gif
RickS
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Mar 15 2012, 04:39 AM) *

Ow my ears! How does the body react to that kind of modification? More flex? How about the airflow through the engine compartment?

screwy.gif

I am not an aerodynamic engineer, but I do know the standard targa bar creates a dead zone. If anything I would think airflow would be improved since the air will be cascading down from the windshield.
Mike Bellis
Cut the windshield out of a Miata. retrofit the door glass and A pilllar. Bolt the Miata soft top on the 914.

There was an old kit to do this conversion. Guess they didn't sell too many.
Mike Bellis
Here's another in California...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/2907943728.html

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.