Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motronic 3.2 Conversion, looking for freinds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VintageExcellence
Ok I just got my Euro 3.2 and sold my 3.0 Weber engine. I know all the conversion stuff, been into this for years.... if anyone has any 3.0 Conversion questions ask me, I know alot.

Now I have never worked with fuel injection, especially Motronic. I need to discuss with someone some questions.

1. Who makes a flywheel to fit a 901 transmission and the 3.2 with the Motronic sensor ring. I had the Kennedy flywheel on my 3.0 and was happy with that. I was thinking about switching to a "pull" clutch but still how can I get a sensor ring installed? What are the downsides to a "pull" clutch? I have a 914-6 transmission so it has the mount for the pull clutch cable housing. Someone help me here, does kennedy make a conversion clutch with a sensor ring? Also is their stage 2 clutch a good buy for 250hp?

2. Fuel system, I have a Carerra fuel pump, I want to change the fuel lines from plastic to steel. Are there any other issues I may have?

3. Wiring up the Motronic brain to a 73 914. I guess I need a Bently Manual to help. What can I eliminate from the 3.2? Any unnecesary wires, sensors for a early car?

Anyway I don't have much time to write but I wanted to get this started. Who can help.

Brad I am sure you have done this before.

Also just got my Boxster Brakes, gotta put those on too.
Steve
Been there done that!!
Awesome conversion and a lot less hastle than a 3.6 or carbureted motor.

1. Who makes a flywheel to fit a 901 transmission and the 3.2 with the Motronic sensor ring. I had the Kennedy flywheel on my 3.0 and was happy with that. I was thinking about switching to a "pull" clutch but still how can I get a sensor ring installed? What are the downsides to a "pull" clutch? I have a 914-6 transmission so it has the mount for the pull clutch cable housing. Someone help me here, does kennedy make a conversion clutch with a sensor ring? Also is their stage 2 clutch a good buy for 250hp?

I'm running the KEP 9" stage II adapter flywheel clutch kit on my car.
This conversion has worked fine with my 231hp euro 3.2 motor for over 3 years.
If you have an unlimited budget go WEVO with a 915.
If I win the lottery that's what I will do next.
A pull clutch with a 901 trans would allow you to run stock clutch components.
There are other threads on problems with the pull arm etc.
The KEP system is pretty cheap and less hassle.

2. Fuel system, I have a Carerra fuel pump, I want to change the fuel lines from plastic to steel. Are there any other issues I may have?

There is a tech thing on the bird site that shows how to do this.
I replaced my plastic lines with metal brake lines using that tech article.
I have a 75 car and installed the Carerra fuel pump in the stock 914-4 location up front.
Works great and is very clean.

3. Wiring up the Motronic brain to a 73 914. I guess I need a Bently Manual to help. What can I eliminate from the 3.2? Any unnecesary wires, sensors for a early car?

I used the Bently manual and haynes manual for the 911 and 914 to figure out the wiring.
Most of the wiring is color coded the same.
I dumped the 914 relay board, 911 external fan.
I bought the opposite connecter that plugs into the plug that went to the relay board and made my own harness.
I drilled a hole to the left of the heater hose connector behind the passenger seat and routed the dme cable to behind the drivers seat. The cable fits perfectly and the DME brain sits nicely behind the drivers seat. I'm 5"10" and I still have plenty of leg space.
The fan hit the engine lid and is not need in such a small car. I'm running heat exchangers and have plenty of heat without the fan. I had to remove the rear trunk springs to make room for the hoses. I am now using the hydraulic kit for the rear trunk. The MAF and stock air cleaner will hit the rear trunk. To solve this problem I went shopping at Home depot and repositioned the maf to point toward the drivers door. A 6" long 3" sewer pipe with adapter fitting solved the problem. All available at Home depot.
If you want a kit PMS or GPR has one available for this problem. I also removed the AC bracket and mount and installed an early fitting for the heater tube.

Anyway I don't have much time to write but I wanted to get this started. Who can help.

Brad I am sure you have done this before.

Also just got my Boxster Brakes, gotta put those on too.

I'm also using Rich Johnsons mount for my 3.2.
The one he made me would only work with a single pully on the crank. So I had to switch this out.
Rich is now making me another mount that supports the duel pulley so I can add AC.
RJ also sells a kit to put Boxster brakes on your 914.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve
914Timo
Steve, are you going to use Boxter brakes fron and rear or front only ??

Sorry Mr VintageExcellence. This is interesting thread and I am not trying to hijack it.
ss6
The 3.2 Motronic system is pretty well self contained. Things are a LOT easier if you obtained the stock harness that goes between the brain, and the engine. It has a "branch" on the brain end that carries the tach and gauge wires, so I mounted the brain on the back side of my passenger foot board. A wiring diagram is below; my car is a '76, there may be minor differences, but I doubt it.

I was able to use the stock flywheel from the 3.2 with the 901 tranny off the original 4. I bought Patrick Motorsports' conversion kit which includes a bolt-on starter ring and a clutch plate. (I think he just resells Kennedy parts). The combo impressed me as being a little heavy, I'm sure you can find lighter (faster revving) solutions, but I'm quite happy with my results. I did have to drill holes in the tranny bellhousing for the crank sensors.
Steve
QUOTE(914Timo @ Sep 21 2004, 06:25 AM)
Steve, are you going to use Boxter brakes fron and rear or front only ??

Sorry Mr VintageExcellence. This is interesting thread and I am not trying to hijack it.

I currently have 911S aluminum calipers up front and 914-6 rear brakes.

It does not stop nearly as fast as my 993 and my 914-6 is faster which is pretty scary.

I'm planning on installing 944 turbo calipers up front on my Boge struts.

You have to augment one of the holes on the caliper to make it work.
I have the calipers and the thicker disks but I currently don't have the time to do it.

I'm also running a 19mm master cylinder and a rear T fitting in place of the restrictor valve or whatever you call it.

Steve
Steve
QUOTE(ss6 @ Sep 21 2004, 07:02 AM)
I was able to use the stock flywheel from the 3.2 with the 901 tranny off the original 4.  I bought Patrick Motorsports' conversion kit which includes a bolt-on starter ring and a clutch plate.  (I think he just resells Kennedy parts).  The combo impressed me as being a little heavy, I'm sure you can find lighter (faster revving) solutions, but I'm quite happy with my results.  I did have to drill holes in the tranny bellhousing for the crank sensors.

SS6 I couldn't get the attachment to work??
I think the PMS kit is also the KEP kit.
PMS does make there own flywheel for the 3.6
I also had to notch my 901 trans for the sensors.
914Timo
Sorry Steve. I didnt realize from your first mail that that sentence was not yours and you are not going to have Boxter brakes.

So, are you VintageExcellence going to use Boxter brakes front and rear or front only ??
Brad Roberts
I have a complete setup we just removed from a 3.2 conversion car. Let me *try* and get some pics of it. The wiring is very easy. I dont personally feel you need the manuels with the number of people here willing to help.

B
ss6
Sorry for the failed attachment, not sure why that refused to work.

I posted the wiring diagram some related pix on a similar 3.2 thread awhile back on the "bird board". The wiring diagram is midway down the thread. Here's the link:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ng&pagenumber=1
914Timo
....and here it is.
ss6
Actually, that's just the pinout for the DME connector. The wiring diagram is further down the thread.
914Timo
Oh, sorry. The wiring diagram was in the next page. Here it comes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.