Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC - 2.7mm mile `66 Volvo P1800 on NOVA Science Now
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
I saw a leading segment on NOVA Science Now on PBS about the red 1966 Volvo P1800 owned by the NY former school teacher OO that he's driven 2.7+ mm miles*, & is in the Guinness Book for it. Look for it on your local PBS channel.

Yup - that's 27 times turned over on it's 5 digit odometer like our 914s have! blink.gif

It was also featured in Hemmings Sports & Exotics last year IIRC.

Interesting but not an in depth car guy/gal coverage, but nice to see old cars getting some wider "cred"! biggrin.gif

*EDIT: The abbreviation above of "mm" or "MM" is from Roman Numerals for 1000x1000 = 1,000,000 or million.
So that's 2,700,000+ miles as of the show, 2,500,000+ miles as of the HS&E article linked below.
Tom_T
Here's a link to the HS&E article for those interested:
http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2011/1...n_feature1.html

popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
What's a mm mile???

2.7 Millimeter Miles? confused24.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 15 2012, 12:39 PM) *

What's a mm mile???

mm = abbrev. for million used for dollars in our spreadsheets, financial analysis, etc. for 40+ years.

News journalists tend to use M instead, so use whichever works in your mind! shades.gif

However, I understand your confusion coming from the land of mm's! biggrin.gif poke.gif

PS - It's actually & technically "MM" - from Roman Numerals for 1000x1000, but IMHO & that of most doing such financials & proformas use lower case so it doesn't visually overwhelm the data presentation.

Sorry to corn-fuse the readers out there! huh.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 15 2012, 12:49 PM) *

It's actually & technically "MM" - from Roman Numerals for 1000x1000

I've used that forever and never knew why. Thanks.
Tom_T
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 15 2012, 04:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 15 2012, 12:49 PM) *

It's actually & technically "MM" - from Roman Numerals for 1000x1000

I've used that forever and never knew why. Thanks.

Yeah, after Andy's comment I was afraid folks would think I meant "millimeter miles" for a Hot Wheels sized one! laugh.gif
bembry
always liked the P1800
914pwer
this is from when Volvo was volvo and saab was Saab two swedish panzerwagens wub.gif
worn
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 15 2012, 11:49 AM) *

What's a mm mile???

mm = abbrev. for million used for dollars in our spreadsheets, financial analysis, etc. for 40+ years.

News journalists tend to use M instead, so use whichever works in your mind! shades.gif

However, I understand your confusion coming from the land of mm's! biggrin.gif poke.gif

PS - It's actually & technically "MM" - from Roman Numerals for 1000x1000, but IMHO & that of most doing such financials & proformas use lower case so it doesn't visually overwhelm the data presentation.

It may be common to money folks but to an engineer two lowercase ms are always going to read a thousandth of a meter. The clearest abbreviation for million would be mega since m is problematic for numerous reasons mille miglia is a thousand miles even though Mille sounds to us in the states as million.
Tom_T
QUOTE(worn @ Mar 18 2012, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 15 2012, 11:49 AM) *

What's a mm mile???

It may be common to money folks but to an engineer two lowercase ms are always going to read a thousandth of a meter. The clearest abbreviation for million would be mega since m is problematic for numerous reasons mille miglia is a thousand miles even though Mille sounds to us in the states as million.

2,700,000 beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.