Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken Lock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ddcracingdave98
Hi,

I have worked on Type IV motor for other guys but never owned one. But, I just bought a '73 914 with a 2.0l. Has not run in 16 yrs, shifter is broken, brakes need work etc,etc. I don't care I always wanted a 914 and it's not rusted too bad. My pressing concern I'm looking for help with is the driver's door. Someone drilled the lock and now it won't open from the outside or inside. Anyone have any ideas about how I can get the door open? I can get in from the passenger side.

Thanks

Dave

DDC Racing

Belleville,MI

JFJ914
QUOTE(ddcracingdave98 @ Mar 15 2012, 05:22 PM) *

Hi,

I have worked on Type IV motor for other guys but never owned one. But, I just bought a '73 914 with a 2.0l. Has not run in 16 yrs, shifter is broken, brakes need work etc,etc. I don't care I always wanted a 914 and it's not rusted too bad. My pressing concern I'm looking for help with is the driver's door. Someone drilled the lock and now it won't open from the outside or inside. Anyone have any ideas about how I can get the door open? I can get in from the passenger side.

Thanks

Dave

DDC Racing

Belleville,MI

It sounds like both handles are broken. Remove the inside handle and pull the wire, that should open the door. You will probably find the wires pull tab broken off. Remove the door panel and reach real deep into the door and you'll find the inhex screw (use a 5mm? Ball Driver) holding the front of the exterior handle remove it and the nut behind the door edge and it will come off. You'll probably find a broken nylon slider. You'll need to post for a good interior handle as they are NLA and the nylon slider can be gotten fron Automobile Atlanta and others. The lock will have to be found used. Good luck.
1973-914-2L
Just went thru similar with my newest here .. you can get the door panel off with the door closed, first remove the arm rest, window winder and bezel at the door handle (if its there) .. then use a trim panel tool (at HF about 5 bucks for the set) there are clips that you must pop across the bottom and the front and back edges there are three .. after you get the clips popped then slide the panel up and in .. the toughest clip will be right at the angle of the panel .. the dash is very close to the door .. I had to pop it about half way then use a pry bar to help the clip the rest of the way out of the retainer .. then you can roll the window up and reach inside the door and flip the bear claw from the in side by pushing on the release lever of the claw ...

Hope it helps ... at least then you can see what you need as far as parts ....

Steve
ddcracingdave98
Thanks Steve, sounds like a plan, then I can work on the shifter!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.