Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early Bumpers on Late Models?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom73
I am currently looking for the right 914 for me. Have found several 75 and 76 models but hate the bumpers on them. Can you replace the late model bumpers with 70-73 bumpers? If so, how hard is it to do and what all would be needed. I know you will need the bumpers but what about mounts? Will the original mounts line up right or ???

Greatly appreciate your input.

tom...
lapuwali
Been discussed pretty extensively before. A search will give you the most complete answer. The short answer is yes. However, the last two years are also the heaviest chassis (only some of that weight is in the bumpers), and have the most extensive emissions systems. If what you really want is an earlier car, I'd keep looking. They are out there, but you may have to travel a bit to get it. IMHO, this is usually a lot less work than trying to convert a later car into an earlier one.
nebreitling
i'm curious as to what part of the 75-76 models' chassis are really heavier.

know the bumpers are heavier. and the doors are beefier (but i thought that was true for 73-76). what else is heavier?

n
lapuwali
but i thought that was true for 73-76). what else is heavier?

I believe everything the bumper mounts attach to is also beefier, and thus heavier. It's not a giant amount, but the quoted weights are pretty significantly heavier over the '73, and the difference can't be accounted for from just the bumpers alone. Hazy memory (esp. today), but I think minus doors and bumpers they're something like 100lbs heavier than a '70?
VintageExcellence
Ya you can put early bumpers on a late car. Its easy. The late bumpers weigh more and they have heavy shock type bumper mounts that are removable.

I don't think the late car weighs 100lbs more than the early when you minus the bumpers and doors. It could but from the late cars i have worked on I can see that much more metal.

It all depends on how much money you have to spend and what type of car you want to achieve. If you want a somewhat original style early looking 914 then buy the early car. If you don't car about modifying the car and are on a buget then buy a late car, late cars are cheeper! But dump all that smog junk.

In the end you can just do what I did... put over 200hp in your car, then weight isn't as much of a problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.